As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

FTL - Faster Than Light

I was thinking the best ball was best - generate a start, everyone who wants to plays that start one sector, reporting what they did, and a thorough state of the vessel at the end.

Vote for which save to continue from, then repeat.

Not good enough to have seen everything, but played enough so that I'm not floundering in the dark.

I'm in!
On average, everybody thinks they are above average.

Might be jumping the gun here, without ship selected or a player list or definite suggestion for deadline or how to handle the roundup & votes for next sector. But perhaps this really is the last bus for a while...if my suggestion for ship (or non-selection, taking the starting ship) is unpalatable for too many this could be a test run of the concept.

Guess the main goal is to have fun, and save the galaxy from those wicked rebels and al lthat, but to enlist competition-minded fellows I suppose the winner will be the one who get the most savegames used for next sector. Every one starts off equal each sector, except that the player who got the last save used has probably tailored his ship towards his naturally preferred playstyle, but at least every one starts off on equal footing each sector.

Is that save working? Started with the basic ship, renamed it "Realms Beyond" and immediately save+quit.
There were 3 .sav files in my folder, so just zipped 'em all.

Instructions:
Play to the end of sector & JUMP to next sector, save, upload save, report stuff. (Need to do the jump to generate next map, or everyone will have different nodes there)
Suggestion for template:

Sector:

Scrap:
Hull:
Fuel:
Missiles:
Drone schematics:

Number of crew & race:
Crew skills:

Upgrades:
-shields:
-engines:
-oxygen:
-weapons:
-medbay:
-piloting:
-sensors:
-doors:
Reactor:
Weapons:
Drones: Current N/A
Augmentations:

Attached Files
.zip   Realms Beyond Start.zip (Size: 2.04 KB / Downloads: 5)

It's the weekend, lemme get onto this shit.

And done.

Spoilered - do not read till you've either had a go or can't be bothered or don't own the game.
Okay I’m off.
I plan to do this - use the nebula to grab some more nodes, then skirt back to the shop.
[Image: ftlplan.png]

Seems I did this:
[Image: ftlactual.png]

A: Star! Solar flares will set my ship on fire. Need to kill a pirate too. Charge up the artemis, lose power in medbay. And a beam drone, missile and beam weapon on enemy. This might be the shortest offensive of all time….
I aim at his weapons for now with both my weapons. And I win, he misses my shield with his laser, missile hits medbay while I kill his weapons. Solar flare just starts a fire next to a door, and my next volley forces a surrender. I take it, as it gives me 8 missiles 2 fuel, but only 7 scrap. Jump to next sector before next flare, even if medbay still somewhat damaged.

B: Trading post. I take the trade, 8 fuel for 3 missiles.

C: (I deviate from my map, nebula are good). Intruders. Some kill exp, but take 1 point of damage.

D: Ion storm search ships something, I take the risky option, get defense drone I and 17 scrap. Upgrade time: Engines. More dodge is good. However it backfires, I don't think I dodged anything after this. 25% chance my a$$.

E: Again ion storm, so low power. Kill an automated scout for 3 fuel and 14 scrap. Buy a power bar. Take 3 more damage.

F: Deviate again, wasn't sure I'd even make the shop in time. Kill a scout for 1 missile and 17 scrap. Got a hit which set O2 on fire, almost lost a crew to low O2 while repairing.

G: Still ahead of the fleet, so I go for the store. Have the drone to sell…not enough scrap to gain a new crew member, nor a good weapon, so I just sell and buy 2 shields. Have to cut engines/O2/artemis to use it, but well worth it. Considering selling artemis as well, but guess that can wait. Or to put it correctly, I considered selling artemis only AFTER I bought the shields. However think it was the right thing anyway, I plan to (ab)use my missiles first sector then switch to energy weapons later on.

H: (Distress): I give a ship 2 fuel. 19 scrap back. Buy a power bar.

I: Decide to take the long jump so I have more options where to go. Nothing here though.

J: Aid a civilian, kill pirate for 2 missiles and 14 scrap. Civvies donate 3 fuel and 8 scrap. Well, their dead hull did.

K: Defeat a pirate, but again take damage. O2 room offline after I used its power to keep shields &engienes&missile up. 8 scrap (surrender, more fuel and missiles). I see a distress beacon, but if I go there I’ll have to fight a generic rebel scout to get to the exit. No go. Probably alien spiders.

L: 11 scrap kill. Again a lucky hit to O2 room. My people are getting very good at low-O2 breathing. Wait a bit for O2 to replenish (should actually do this auto when in a nonhostile system, just boring to wait for.

M: Sector end. Intervene against automated scout to save outpost. 10 scrap kill. Missile damage. Saved outpost for 18 scrap and fuel. Good reserve of fuel, at least and a lot of scrap. Many possibilities to costumize craft, and perhaps a shop next door next sector too. Choice is rebel sector and zoltan, and I go for zoltan.

Sector:2. Zoltan.
[Image: sector2.png]

Scrap: 76
Hull: 19 (11 damage)
Fuel: 26
Missiles: 8
Drone schematics: 8

Number of crew & race: 3 humans
Crew skills: Weaps halfway to skill, engi and pilot dodged a grand total of 2 hits.

Upgrades:
-shields: 4
-engines: 3
-oxygen: 1
-weapons: 3
-medbay: 1
-piloting: 1
-sensors: 1
-doors: 1
Reactor: 10 bars
Weapons: Burst Laster II, Artemis.
Drones: Current N/A
Augmentations: None

Attached Files
.zip   Molach Sector 2.zip (Size: 1.37 KB / Downloads: 3)

Perfect. I'm on it. What kind of turn around time are we looking at here?

And thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to it! smile
On average, everybody thinks they are above average.

Argh, I just ran through my own version of the first sector. I'll finish up a report soon.

This is what greets me when I load up the save. Ah, the good ol' Kestrel. A solid starter ship, with a really nice starting loadout. The Burst Laser II is probably a perfect balance of Slot size, power consumption, weapon charge time, and volley size. The Artemis missile is rather bland, but the starting Kestrel Artemis launcher has a special bonus, and that is to consume 1 power instead of 2. This makes the missile nice to rely on for breaking shields early.

First thing I did was power up weapons, depower the medbay, and put the crew in the appropriate slots. I put someone on weapons (for DPS) and engines (for evade). Shields can be left last, sometimes.

This is my planned jump route to maximise the number of jumps I'll encounter. This is pretty important to maximise the amount of scrap to collect. I'm not ready to board right now, hence I don't really need sensors.

First jump. Fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu a sun encounter!? This thing is nasty. A Leto launcher. A Heavy laser. And a a Beam drone. Argh, I'm tempted to simply run. First thing thing I did was move my Weapons guy to shields when weapons were half-charged, to minimise the downtime between their laser burst and the beam drone tearing me open. Maximise survivability.

First volley. It could have been worse, only took 2 damage from beam hitting 1 room and their Leto hitting a side room. That reminded me, I had to evacuate the side rooms so I could also evacuate any rooms that got a fire from the solar flare. On the other hand, I managed to land a hit on shields.

Once that went down, all 3 of my burst shots hit their weapons. Success! I shouldn't take any more damage from them. That went well, now just gotta move shields back to weapons to maximise DPS.

Wow, shields is already repaired up to 2 power pips! They probably have an Engi in their crew. Oh well, best thing to do right now is to shoot shields again and then piloting. If I'm desperate, I can also put a missile into them, but I also want to save my missiles. They've very valuable!

Solar flare just as I took them down. Powered down O2, opened up a few doors to put out sensors, moved pilot to help put out the sensor fire. All my dudes will take damage but hopefully there will be downtime in my next jump. Got $11, 1 missile and 3 fuel out of it.

Oooh, tempting. Fuel is $3. Missiles are $5. I should get a shop fairly soon, and I'll use that opportunity to stock up on missiles.

However, right now I'm more missile constrained than fuel constrained. On yet the other hand, I have only 5 jumps until I hit a shop. Oh well, let's take it, hope it doesn't bite me! Also, since I had some downtime, let's heal up my crew.

Ugh, a nebula boarding event. Okay, the plan is retreat everyone to medbay and evac the ship.

Spotted 3 enemies, oh dear, they're sabotaging the O2. Yep, still want to keep to the plan. I can still repair the O2 as long as my medbay still works. Oh well, gonna alt-tab for a while and wait until my O2 regens.

Ooh, this event. Potential outcomes of the former: losing crew, hull damage, and landing a nice drop. Why not, I always play risky in the early game!

And it paid off! Either sell this or buy a drone control later.

Met a rebel autoscout in a plasma storm.That was a lie. That's not an autoscout! That's an autoassault! Autoscouts don't have shields and are always nice to fight. Autoassaults can be nasty, as they have more room for subsystems. This one has a Leto launcher in slot 1 and a basic laser in slot 2.

I only have 4 power to use. Ouch, how should I do this? 2 into BLII, then what, 1 shield pip or 20% evade? Shield only helps against their basic laser, evade helps against both. How about this, power up shields for now, and when their basic laser goes down, I power down shields and up engines.

First exchange of fire. Didn't go that well, took a hit to piloting, only got 1 hit on their weapons.

Botched next volley, powered down shields to put onto engines, but that happened before piloting was repaired. However, got 2 shots onto their weapons, powering down their guns. Goody, can put power back onto O2. Shot shields, got $11, 2 fuel, 1 drone part.

Found an asteroid field. Of course I want to explore it!

Unfortunately it was a waste and I took 5 damage.

Finally made it to that shop, just ahead of the rebel fleet smile. The stuff here is depressing. Drone recovery arm is incredibly useful if you're using drones, but I'm not. Shield booster is useful if you're facing uncoordinated volleys of fire or drones or beams, but I haven't seen that many. You know what? I'm just going to sell the defence drone and buy my next pip of shields. I always aim to get 2 shield pips by the 2nd sector to maximise survivability, but of course, that's not always possible.

Planned jump route. I'm gonna land in the middle of a constellation, and see what goodies await me there. Next, a distress signal, I think they tend to give greater drops.

Ah, a fuel distress event. They tend to give nice drops. Got 19 scrap, not bad! Used to upgrade another power pip.

Argh, next jump was totally empty. Let's see what awaits us... a distress. Oh well, I calculate we have 3 more jumps available before we need to run to the exit beacon.

Find a lost rock ship at the distress beacon. Need to lead them to the next sector, a quest for the next turnplayer! Sometimes you get a nice reward, sometimes you get a rebel/pirate trap. Always interesting, usually worth doing.

A pirate. Pfft, with my 2 shield pips, they can't even hurt me!

Wait, actually, they had a 3rd gun. Oh well, no biggie, I can probably take it down without even using missile. Shoot weapons, shoot shields, easy peasy.

First volley damaged engines slightly, but not too bad. I took out 2 of their guns, not they can't hurt me. Time to shoot shields then piloting.

They want to surrender. Nope, I want scrap, not consumables.

Oooh, interesting drops. Repair arm repairs, but also gives a malus to scrap collection. I say we keep it until we're at full life, then sell it. Because it's more important to collect scrap than it is to be at 100% repair. Notice how I haven't even done a single repair because it's more important to level up shields and evade and pick up the occasional gun from the shops. Indeed, I immediately bought an extra engine level even if I couldn't afford more power.

Another rebel. Simple fight, they have 2 guns and a beam drone. My plan is to temporarily drop power to O2 every time they fire and reroute to engines, and power back O2 while they're charging. Meanwhile, I have the option of using either Artemis or BLII. Hmm, should I DPS them down or minimise resource use? I think the latter, but keep missiles as a fallback.

The O2 trick didn't help evade any shots, and now I took damage from their beam drone. First volley took out their guns, now they can't hurt me. Target their shields now.

How about no. Instead, got $17, 1 missile, 1 drone part.

Final jump this sector, just ahead of the rebel fleet. This guy has a missile and an Ion (and a beam drone). This could be dangerous, I think I will use a missile on shields.

First volley, took some missile damage. Ah, they have an Artemis. Oh well, shields are down, BLII'd down their weapons. Got $9, 1 fuel, 1 drone part.

Got a bit more loot from the outpost.

Your turn, next turnplayer! I recommend the Zoltan controlled rebel sectors are dangerous. Things to do. Now we have 2 shields, upgrade engines and power to level 5. Upgrade doors to Level 2. I also don't recommend a boarding game because some of you guys might be inexperienced and it takes a decent amount of practice to be good at boarding. But when you know how to board properly, it's incredibly powerful. Maybe I'll show that off someday.

Stats:
[spoiler]
Scrap: 45
Hull: 19 (11 damage)
Fuel: 16
Missiles: 6
Drone schematics: 5

Number of crew & race: 3 humans
Crew skills: Terrible

Upgrades:
-shields: 4
-engines: 3
-oxygen: 1
-weapons: 3
-medbay: 1
-piloting: 1
-sensors: 1
-doors: 1
Reactor: 10 bars
Weapons: Burst Laster II, Artemis.
Drones: None
Augmentations: Repair Arm

Attached Files
.zip   RB FTL SG1.zip (Size: 956 bytes / Downloads: 0)

Nic...I think you missed the memo.

Dude I was typing up that report as Molach went and scooped me. But yeah, I assumed he wanted someone else to grab the save first as he posted the original tongue