Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS]Acrid Pinot and other Pindicator anagrams

[Image: electoral_precedent.png]

Which streak are we going to break in this game?
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Note to Self: Next time you propose a game, have a clear plan that people can make changes to, rather than trying to cat-herd together a consensus.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

1808 looks wrong to me...Madison was Secretary of State during Jefferson's term. I guess he meant former Congressman. Okay and 1896 is just flimsy. At what point is a Midwesterner tall?

For your consideration.
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG]

Fog-gazing is of the devil and should not be trusted.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Well that is certainly different

Off the top of my head, I feel like settling in place and picking the zulu
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(October 21st, 2012, 23:20)pindicator Wrote: and picking the zulu

thumbsup
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(October 21st, 2012, 23:07)NobleHelium Wrote: 1808 looks wrong to me...Madison was Secretary of State during Jefferson's term. I guess he meant former Congressman. Okay and 1896 is just flimsy. At what point is a Midwesterner tall?

The author doesn't specify sitting Congressman, so I believe he means "sitting or former Congressman." If so, I have no issues with his wording for 1808; although it is not perfectly clear, the clarity is not horrible, inmo. I imagine that for 1896, he just didn't want to keep posting specific heights to avoid stylistic issues with repetition; after all, he uses specific height values in 1860 and 1900. He changes up the wording for most of his sentences in this comic, so I imagine he was trying to avoid repetition throughout it.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I don't think you generally address former Congressmen as "Congressman," so I would argue that you need to specify "former" Congressman.

Why not? One can address former governors as "Governor;" at least, the moderators in the presidential debates referred to Mitt Romney that way.

I just did a little research. Robert Hickey, the deputy director of The Proctor School of Washington and the author of "Honor & Respect: The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address," agrees with you. See the second question on this page: http://www.formsofaddress.info/Congressman.html

So, you are correct as far as I can see.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Well all right then. We should just start calling everyone "Right Honorable" instead.