As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

LURKER THREAD- No Players

Oh and I would have loved to see a diplomatic victory.  rolf
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(September 29th, 2020, 04:30)Charriu Wrote: Oh and I would have loved to see a diplomatic victory.  rolf

Not allowed, sorry...  nono

pic of the day, I'll see if I make this a habit, depending on resonance:

The fall of BaII's capital (a few turns ago). BaII had a promising start, grabbing Stonehenge with Charles de Gaulle. Well he still reported what cam after, sent axes after Boudicca, didn't end well.
He afterwards seemed sort of apathic, with a perfectly flat power graph over dozens of turns (when he first got there probably world's or at least his continent's highest, but never adding to it). Peter got through 2metraninja (Bismarck with a nasty piggy-in-the-middle start around, uh, Kansas?) pretty fast, with some help of Brennus, and BaII had researched Calendar over Construction, which might've been a risk worth taking, but had him pants down when Peter just didn't stop and went right after him. He got eaten piecemeal, first at the border city, then here, and now recently another city further SW. He now has one city left in I think Nicaragua, and then a one tile island to stack axes on and outlive other victims.

Miguelito, this new feature is great, please do keep posting these if it's not too much work. I spent an afternoon sifting through the German forum via translation, and while it was interesting, the combination of so many threads + iffy translations made following it pretty challenging. It was hard to know what threads to follow because of the sheer volume of players. That axe stack picture is a work of art.

Yeah, I'm appreciating the pictures too.

(September 29th, 2020, 15:11)Miguelito Wrote: pic of the day, I'll see if I make this a habit, depending on resonance:

The fall of BaII's capital (a few turns ago). BaII had a promising start, grabbing Stonehenge with Charles de Gaulle. Well he still reported what cam after, sent axes after Boudicca, didn't end well.
He afterwards seemed sort of apathic, with a perfectly flat power graph over dozens of turns (when he first got there probably world's or at least his continent's highest, but never adding to it). Peter got through 2metraninja (Bismarck with a nasty piggy-in-the-middle start around, uh, Kansas?) pretty fast, with some help of Brennus, and BaII had researched Calendar over Construction, which might've been a risk worth taking, but had him pants down when Peter just didn't stop and went right after him. He got eaten piecemeal, first at the border city, then here, and now recently another city further SW. He now has one city left in I think Nicaragua, and then a one tile island to stack axes on and outlive other victims.

Just curious, but what are these icons on the right side under the timer (beaker icon, catapult icon and this down arrow button thingy)?
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

No idea, maybe Ramk can tell us?

Those do not appear on screenshots in other stories, so I am pretty sure they have nothing to do with the mod...

Anyone here understand why BaII did not defend this differently? He basically gave up right away. Letting all troops sit in their cities waiting for the catapults to start massacring them? What kind of strategy is that?

And researching calendar prior to construction...?

Could it be that "your" PB games are usually a lot more peaceful than "ours"?

None of the Civforum players has even considered researching Alphabet, for example, but two RB players already have. What for? Doesn't it make more sense to research currency and "produce" wealth while researching something? Especially since you need currency desperately to survive on deity difficulty, anyway?

There's an option to Minimize Pop-ups which means you can look around the map before being pulled to city builds/techs/etc. The icons on the right are the things that are still outstanding.

(September 30th, 2020, 03:02)Papa Bear Wrote: Anyone here understand why BaII did not defend this differently? He basically gave up right away. Letting all troops sit in their cities waiting for the catapults to start massacring them? What kind of strategy is that?

And researching calendar prior to construction...?

Could it be that "your" PB games are usually a lot more peaceful than "ours"?

None of the Civforum players has even considered researching Alphabet, for example, but two RB players already have. What for? Doesn't it make more sense to research currency and "produce" wealth while researching something? Especially since you need currency desperately to survive on deity difficulty, anyway?

I'm not sure why Baii didn't defend hard - he gave Pindicator hell in PB46. I'd guess that either the game situation or the slow turnpace has sapped his enthusiasm.

As for peacefulness - we get a bit of ancient warfare, but the players who win pitboss here tend to steer clear of that, making conquests with knights or later units. The thinking is to establish your borders and defend them with smallest army you can get away with until ready to conquer someone. It probably helps that we've had scout starts as standard for a while so early chokes aren't a thing. I'm always happy to see an ancient war start because they're likely to be easy pickings later on.

One of the few counter-examples was the always-war game recently played on an Australia map where the second cities were contested and the game was won with swords and crossbows. Is this pitboss typical of the usual Civforum.de style or are things a bit more free-wheeling because no-one expects to win?