As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Maybe we could just ask everyone to edit the second post of their spoiler thread to either contain their password or a note that says to let the turn roll if they'd rather not have a sub play turns in their stead? It would probably be easier for everyone to play their turns in general if we got on a more regular 24hr-ish schedule...

I don't like the idea of someone playing my turn without reading my thread, especially when I'm writing a lot in my thread (I feel like I'm on the high end for posts for non-teams, and my posts generally are very long). Of course, at this point I don't plan on missing any turns, and I hope to be around if I would miss a turn or two.

Well, what's worse...having the turn roll unplayed or have a skilled player give best effort?

Darrell

(May 30th, 2014, 15:43)darrelljs Wrote: Well, what's worse...having the turn roll unplayed or have a skilled player give best effort?

Darrell

This.

I don't understand the downside. We need to keep the game moving--that is a fact*. Gaspar is not saying he's gonna dick around with the teams he plays. He'll do his absolute best with what he can. This is by far better than an unplayed turn and significantly better than an AI turn. Plus, it's completely avoidable if a player is active and plans a lot. The only realistic scenario when Gaspar plays a turn for someone who wasn't being irresponsible would be in an emergency or when powers beyond someone's control come into play. In those scenarios, Gaspar is the best option.

* We need to have quicker turns because 48 hours/turn when things are relatively simple is already pushing the limit of sustainability and will only get worse as the game progresses into more complexity.

Yeah. Basically if you dont ask for the pause then it would essentially mean we let the turn roll. Consider it necessary that everyone has to sign up and give Gaspar thd password first
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Gaspar, our password is

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つTIER LIST༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

(May 30th, 2014, 16:02)Ichabod Wrote: Gaspar, our password is

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つTIER LIST༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

lol troll bow

(May 30th, 2014, 15:47)dazedroyalty Wrote:
(May 30th, 2014, 15:43)darrelljs Wrote: Well, what's worse...having the turn roll unplayed or have a skilled player give best effort?

Darrell

This.

I don't understand the downside. We need to keep the game moving--that is a fact*. Gaspar is not saying he's gonna dick around with the teams he plays. He'll do his absolute best with what he can. This is by far better than an unplayed turn and significantly better than an AI turn. Plus, it's completely avoidable if a player is active and plans a lot. The only realistic scenario when Gaspar plays a turn for someone who wasn't being irresponsible would be in an emergency or when powers beyond someone's control come into play. In those scenarios, Gaspar is the best option.

* We need to have quicker turns because 48 hours/turn when things are relatively simple is already pushing the limit of sustainability and will only get worse as the game progresses into more complexity.

The downside is that Gaspar will make decisions that cannot be undone. If Gaspar decides, in his 5 minutes, that the settler he sees would work really well 1 tile over from where you've spent 10 pages describing where it should go, you are just out of luck. it might be a totally reasonable decision that anyone would make - it might even be the objectively right decision. But it wasn't the players decision and it's a decision that Gaspar has explicitly said he will make.

I would vastly rather have the turn roll and I lose the turn of micro than have someone else make an irreversible decision like settling a city.

I would have no objection if what we do is give people a choice - let Gaspar take over their civ for a turn OR let the turn roll. I'd go for the turn roll, almost certainly. (man, I hope Gaspar isn't getting a complex about this - it's not him I'm objecting to - I don't know him well, but people I trust trust him, so that's fine)
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

Then leave an ingame sign or suck up the lost turn. Or post here about needing a short pause.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(May 30th, 2014, 16:13)AutomatedTeller Wrote:
(May 30th, 2014, 15:47)dazedroyalty Wrote:

Darrell

This.

The downside is that Gaspar will make decisions that cannot be undone. If Gaspar decides, in his 5 minutes, that the settler he sees would work really well 1 tile over from where you've spent 10 pages describing where it should go, you are just out of luck. it might be a totally reasonable decision that anyone would make - it might even be the objectively right decision. But it wasn't the players decision and it's a decision that Gaspar has explicitly said he will make.

I would vastly rather have the turn roll and I lose the turn of micro than have someone else make an irreversible decision like settling a city.

I would have no objection if what we do is give people a choice - let Gaspar take over their civ for a turn OR let the turn roll. I'd go for the turn roll, almost certainly. (man, I hope Gaspar isn't getting a complex about this - it's not him I'm objecting to - I don't know him well, but people I trust trust him, so that's fine)

Yes, Gaspar has said that he'll follow in game signs so this is a moot point if you prepare well. A sign marked "C" is all it would take to ensure that doesn't happen. The only scenarios when Gaspar would play would only apply to situations where you have either 1) anticipated and welcomed him playing or 2) unforeseeable situation(s) prevented you from playing.

In case 1, there is no problem. IN case 2, it would be easily possible that not playing (letting turn roll) would on average have worse consequences (e.g. you are in a settling race with a neighbor, a barb is approaching an under/un-defended worker, etc. etc.).

I see why you are concerned--I really do. But those concerns seem preventable with appropriate planning. The net gain of the "Gaspar plan" for both individual players and the overall game is very high and, in my opinion, worth the potential downside given that the downside can be mitigated by those who care to do so.