As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

(May 3rd, 2013, 18:24)NobleHelium Wrote: Mods are all about feature creep. That's why I'm skeptical of modders becoming real game designers.

With some notable exceptions.

Also, today's modding world is very different from the early 2000s when I first checked them out. Now the innovative modders are out doing Indie game development, and the rest left modding are bug-fixing and feature-adding people for a particular game.

Not that I'm not grateful for a set of mods I ran on Skyrim that made everything better, or the Fallout New Vegas crew that fixed up all the bugs. But my ModDB watch list has shriveled up into non-existence. Everything is ADD THE THINGS. Ludum Dare projects are way more interesting.
MP
Pitboss Demo - Darrell's Tropical Trolls
PBEM45G - Sareln

7 new civic categories?

In fairness, C2C is like the ultimate Civ 4 feature creep game.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

Thanks to C2C I think I understand what it feels like to have Asperger's syndrome.

I actually quite liked the new trade routes, they looked interesting
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

It depends, its a team endeavor so even if the lead designer is an idea guy who's used to a additive way of thinking about features, it doesn't guarantee a bloated mess of a product. Though I do find it an interesting idea to instead of mod things in, you mod things out of a game.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I could certainly see a subtractive approach to modding for Paradox games lol

Meanwhile Total War and Civ games work best with either horizontal 'replacement' designs or something a bit more additive.

at least in my opinion.

I bet C2C is fun.. if only I had 150 hours or so to set aside to learn the new features :/
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Found this quote on the Brazil Discussion Thread at the CFC forums. It represents what I think about the way they presented Brazil in the expansion. Not a big problem, but I found it interesting enough to share.

SandroTheMaster Wrote:Why am I the only one who feels they're treating Brazil as a joke civ?

Seriously? Party your way to victory? Keep an eternal Carnival? What is this, a civ marketed to fratboys?

The Carnival is little more than a glorified holiday. Maybe a catalyst of creative endeavor, but one that matters so little to the civilization and identity of the country. The ethnic cultural diversity is by far much more relevant and shaping of the country's current state. Oh, and doesn't feel like a joke. Even in the press releases and every demonstration they made they treated this as a joke.

And really, win battles to party harder? With the Pracinhas, who were considered little less than convenient cannon fodder to keep Italy busy while the rest of the allies fought the real war against Germany? The force that's only notable for being able to fuel political propaganda for a Dictator?

And finally, an improvement that's linked to a commodity that has only ever benefited Portugal in the entirety of colonial history? Brazil itself never exploited Brazilwood nor did it gain any benefit from it. At best, Brazilwood is a burden to Brazil that was left with trying to preserve it in modern times. Oh, and built in Jungles, too. Because Brazilwood was found in the Amazon, right?

Yep, truly a Civ to inspire awe and respect.

By the way, the Achievement you get by beating the game with Brazil is called "Pedro's Party People"... We are a bunch of party people, alright.