As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

Haven't seen it posted anywhere on the forums, so here you go:

http://www.civilization5.com/bravenewworld/

9 New Civilizations, apparently only Poland is revealed. I bet Brazil will be among the Civs for the first time (haven't seen anything about it, just a guess). Eager to see who they are going to pick as leader, I'm guessing Dom Pedro II.

There'll be "Ideologies" in the game, which apparently are separated from Social Policies. You have to pick one from Freedom, order or Autocracy when entering Industrial Age... Strange.

New Culture Victory.

International Trade Routes. "Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?" - Food/Production sharing between cities? eek

World Congresses (so you can cheese your CS alliances even more!).

Etc.

Sounds like it's following the trend Civ 5 always has. More abstract external mechanics, even less focus on the concrete cities.

And I'll probably do the same thing as with each of the Civ 5 iterations so far. Get it on a Steam sale in six months after the patches settle in, and play a few games then.

Good for those who enjoyed Civ5, definitely not for me. It's been a while since I've seen such an obvious example of feature bloat in strategy game design. With so many different mechanics operating at once (city states, tech tree, culture tree, religion tree, espionage, ideologies, world congresses), I echo T-Hawk's statement that there seems to be less and less focus on the cities themselves. It's not how I envision Civilization, I'll leave it at that.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

yes, I would agree with the feature bloat, but not that it wouldn't be worth my time. wink

Hmm ... I suppose if a package deal came out with Game + both expansions for a discount I'd eat that up :D

maybe Fall 2013- black friday digital sales.

American civil war seems like an interesting scenario to play out.

(March 15th, 2013, 09:29)Ichabod Wrote: International Trade Routes. "Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?" - Food/Production sharing between cities? eek

Sounds like the return of the Civ 2 camel unit. Although I can't imagine that working very well with the Civ 5 traffic jam.

One thing is for sure: they'll seize any opportunity to include female leaders for as many civilizations as possible. lol

(March 15th, 2013, 10:31)DaveV Wrote: Sounds like the return of the Civ 2 camel unit. Although I can't imagine that working very well with the Civ 5 traffic jam.

I think it will be more like the Call-to-Power (2?) implementation. At least thats what I hope. A Camel-unit would be too much of a hassle and rather against Civ5's style of making things easier to manage.

Sounds fun, I'll give it a go when it's on sale smile

maybe an automated camel unit that is on a separate layer altogether? (would only compete with other camel units)

@Tas thats what CtP practically did

Here is a picture about the CtP2-trade setup.

The active route was then displayed with the good travelling on lines between the source-city and the target-city.
Something like the dotted lines between cities in this picture. Those routes could get broken/pirated.