As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Also if Barry Lyndon is about to get taken out of the game (which is what it looks like from the turn log), can we just have someone delete his units and then the last person he is at war with can just raze his last city.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Game reloaded to Dhal's login autosave. That means Dhal has to replay the turn that he played 7 hours ago! There is 1 hour left on the clock, and I believe Krill is logging in to pause the game right now.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Game Paused as per Caledorns request.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I'll add to the chorus of no to double moves, but having been stuck in a vicious 3-way split in PB13 I wonder if a rule that says if you're getting involved in an existing turn split you *have* to go on the "correct" side would make things easier?

It makes timing hard if the existing fighters are quick on the draw and you need to take the first half, but a pm to one of the players (not necessarily the victim) would be fine, right? Any other reasons it wouldn't work (other than more rules being generally a bad thing)?

Thanks for the reload. I'll be able to play in a little bit (hour or so)
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I'm fine to start playing Barry's turn if he hasn't played by 12-18 hours into the turn. I noticed the potential problem before I went to bed last night and was considering just playing Barry's turn early and pausing, but I hadn't been granted the authority to do that by Barry or the other players.

I'd suggest opening the window for me to play around 12 hours, as hopefully I should usually be able to find sometime in the following 6 hours to play for Barry. That, or if Barry wishes I can simply play for him at the earliest opportunity (typically the first 6-8 hours of the turn).
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(June 29th, 2014, 16:34)Old Harry Wrote: I'll add to the chorus of no to double moves, but having been stuck in a vicious 3-way split in PB13 I wonder if a rule that says if you're getting involved in an existing turn split you *have* to go on the "correct" side would make things easier?

Just for clarification -
say A is at war with C.
B decides to attack C as well.

B has to take the same time slot as A, and they can play at the same time with little trouble. Both A and B have half a turn to play, C has half of turn.

If D decides to attack A, he will play in C's time slot. A still has half a turn to make his moves. We avoid a 4-way turn split.

Only issue is if A and B are racing for same city - sometimes they want to go first so they take the city, other times they go last so first player can reduce defences or defenders. I guess...first to log in of A and B makes his play if he can? Don't delibaratly wait around for the other, because waiting like that might lead to delays, too short time for C to play etc etc.

So yeah, is there major issues with this?
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

No major issues if people stick to it, but coming up with good solutions has never been a problem for RB.

The problem for RB is that we never enforce our solutions, and people run roughshod over the timer whenever they feel they need to. In a game with over twice as many people as we've ever played with, that is going to wreck this game.

If we're going to be having turn splits, we need to agree on how we are going to enforce people playing at the correct point.

Allowing someone with the second half of a timer to play their turn even if their opponent hasn't doesn't solve anything. What happens the turn after that? Do they go first again and double move? Or do they then have the second half? That could easily cause problems.

I'm going to come in here with my draconian ideas again, but if somebody has the first half of a turn split and misses their window without requesting a pause, I think that should be it. They missed their window, so they give up that turn and cannot play until the next turn rolls. This game isn't about the height of competition, this game is about keeping the turns rolling as a priority above all else, and everything we do should be focused on that.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

And thanks to the latest turn timer foolishness causing the latest pointless reload, I am now stuck in a diplo screen. If someone wants to log in and unpause I will idle in the game for an hour or so.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Looks like The Black Sword is logged in, so hopefully the game should be unpaused shortly. If it isn't I can log in to unpause soon. I thought the diplo screen issue had been solved a while back by plako though?

(June 29th, 2014, 17:32)Dhalphir Wrote: I'm going to come in here with my draconian ideas again, but if somebody has the first half of a turn split and misses their window without requesting a pause, I think that should be it. They missed their window, so they give up that turn and cannot play until the next turn rolls.

Or else, the 12 hour point for them could be made equivalent to the 24 hour point for everyone else, in that a lurker (probably me) will step in to play their turn if they haven't played by then - if said lurker is available.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21