As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

Just break down and use some of the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms guys.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

(May 14th, 2013, 21:23)Bigger Wrote: stalin was the third leader, and he's a pretty significant figure in world history. hell the expansion he came with had a WWII mod smile. I think yall are being a bit pc, to be honest - I wouldnt mind a Hitler leader for germany either (as a third leader, I wouldnt take out Frederick or Bismark).

I predict the Germans would object to that the most, hehe.

I'm not sure about Mao.. I don't know as much about Chinese history. But Genghis is certainly the most important Mongol leader, and I can't imagine there are ANY other appropriate zulu leaders to use than Shaka.

iirc, Germany has some laws on the books that might make that difficult (if your goal is to be able to sell the game in Germany)- or maybe that's just for the symbols instead of the faces?
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

(May 14th, 2013, 22:43)Sareln Wrote:
(May 14th, 2013, 21:23)Bigger Wrote: stalin was the third leader, and he's a pretty significant figure in world history. hell the expansion he came with had a WWII mod smile. I think yall are being a bit pc, to be honest - I wouldnt mind a Hitler leader for germany either (as a third leader, I wouldnt take out Frederick or Bismark).

I predict the Germans would object to that the most, hehe.

I'm not sure about Mao.. I don't know as much about Chinese history. But Genghis is certainly the most important Mongol leader, and I can't imagine there are ANY other appropriate zulu leaders to use than Shaka.

iirc, Germany has some laws on the books that might make that difficult (if your goal is to be able to sell the game in Germany)- or maybe that's just for the symbols instead of the faces?

its just the swastika, not any historical figures.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(May 14th, 2013, 22:46)Bigger Wrote:
(May 14th, 2013, 22:43)Sareln Wrote: iirc, Germany has some laws on the books that might make that difficult (if your goal is to be able to sell the game in Germany)- or maybe that's just for the symbols instead of the faces?

its just the swastika, not any historical figures.

All symbols and propaganda are forbidden including Hitlers book 'Mein Kampf'. Anything that puts that regime to glory. A game where you can play Hitler himself and wipe out other civs will find it hard to become legal.

It's sad that small things like this upset so many people. It's hard for video games to tackle important issues in life when they already get banned or protested against for nothing.

Well, you can download Hitler leaderheads on CFC, and many mods do include him...

(May 15th, 2013, 04:34)Jowy Wrote: It's sad that small things like this upset so many people. It's hard for video games to tackle important issues in life when they already get banned or protested against for nothing.

Small things?! World War II left 50 million people dead in Europe. I have absolutely no problem with Germany's strong laws to prevent any pro-Nazi media from appearing. It's a reasonable limit on free speech to stop racist groups from spreading their message of hatred and intolerance.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Because that's what video games are, pro-nazi messages of hatred and intolerance.
Maybe we should just burn all the video games, and the players too since they are demented and twisted.

That response doesn't even make sense... noidea
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Hitler being in a video game doesn't make the video game a pro-nazi message of hatred and intolerance. It doesn't make the game racist. It doesn't make the game evil. I've got nothing against Germany banning actual pro-nazi messages, but video games like Civilization are made for fun and entertainment. Stalin is already in the game, does this mean Firaxis or the players approve of what he did? Does it make them supporters of Stalin? No. It's this kind of witch-hunt mentality that prevents video game studios from making serious games. Fox News was discussing on national TV the permanent damage that the 15 second Mass Effect cut-to-black sex scenes have on our children. Small things like this make people think that video games make gamers violent sexual deviants or mass murderers or whatever. And if you think that's old news, remember the Connecticut school shooting? Public blamed it on Mass Effect, because the brother of the suspect had liked Mass Effect on Facebook. Yeah.

Now imagine if a video game studio actually attempted to make a game that had mature themes and tackled important issues. Call of Duty or Mass Effect or Civilization are not games like that. If people raise huge scandals over nothing, then what's going to happen if an actual mature video game was made? I find it sad that video games will only ever be about jumping over that goomba and hitting that brick with your head for coins. Entertainment and fun are what we mainly look for in video games, but I know there are a ton of people who also play video games for the story. Stories can only be so deep without touching any sensitive subjects.