As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss etiquette

Excellent, I'll mark 4 as controversial...

I feel like logging in before your opponent to see what they've built and in which cities they built it before they have a chance to hide it negates one of the disadvantages of going second and favours people who have the time to log in a lot (as someone who likes to log in a lot I would be fine with allowing that crazyeye). A variant on 4 is that if you're playing before someone and have airships you can log in after they play and see what they did (edit: in fact this is a counterargument to dtay's point about logging in after the other guy when playing first). How about another list? nod

Advantages of going first:
  1. Can use promotions for XP received defending on the previous turn
  2. Can use promotions for new units
  3. Can hide units from prying eyes
  4. Can track what your opponent has produced more easily
  5. You don't have to watch civstats for your turn
  6. * If logging in outside your half is allowed * Can use airships/planes/floating eyes to log in after your opponent to see what they did
Advantages of going second:
  1. Whipped units will appear before your opponent plays
  2. Krill edit: Going second allows you to move twice before an opponents builds complete ie you can move HA/knights 4 tiles through culture before you have to dela with reactions
  3. * If logging in outside your half is allowed * Can track what your opponent has produced more easily
  4. Um...
What have I forgotten? Is whipping really the only reason for going second? Imagine the turn pace if we could convince everyone that going first is the best way to fight!

(January 14th, 2015, 06:25)SevenSpirits Wrote:
(January 14th, 2015, 06:04)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: On number four I'm in the group that says don't log in until your part of the split. Doing otherwise unnecessarily invites suspicion and people can't reasonably be expected to have screenshots for everything.

Does being the last player to play and therefore being logged in when the turn rolls also invite suspicion? Is getting to see the game state before the opponent plays in a turn a perk reserved for people who play later than everyone else?

Maybe that player has a responsibility to log out without peeking nono. Seriously though - this is a good argument against information disparity being an in-built perk of going first, but it sounds like some folks (like me) have been hobbling themselves by sticking to a higher standard...

I'd trust anyone here to log in ahead or behind me to look, but I prefer to make sure that the person I'm fighting feels the same way before I do it - it's too easy to get overly invested and angry about something we should all be doing for fun innocent. Also I seem to fight a lot of people alright.

Going second allows you to move twice before an opponents builds complete ie you can move HA/knights 4 tiles through culture before you have to dela with reactions.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Going second in an offensive war also allows you to fork far more effectively; you can see where an opponent has moved their defenders and then attack where they haven't.

Why can't you do that if you're first?

I suppose you can, in the middle of a war; I was thinking right at the start of it.

12. In the event of a reload forcing you to replay your turn, replay the turn exactly like you originally played it, to the best of your ability.
I have to run.

13. It is the responsibility of all players to check that the settings are correct once the game is hosted.
14. (suggested) Turn 0 is the last turn where incorrect settings can be rectified. Once Turn 1 begins, games will not be restarted for incorrect settings.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

An advantage of going second is that you get the opportunity to reconnect resources that were pillaged on the same turn.

Also, I am not a fan of my opponent logging in during my half of the turn, but Parkin made me that way.

(January 14th, 2015, 22:27)Donovan Zoi Wrote: Also, I am not a fan of my opponent logging in during my half of the turn, but Parkin made me that way.
Welcome, brother.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.