As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

(May 6th, 2015, 11:58)Krill Wrote: Probably to do with the removal of the counterespionage mission and doubling of all costs.

If there are more issues with espionage I'm pulling the active missions.

No, it was 120 in BTS, but has become 2400 yikes in RtR. It should be 240. One 0 too many. Seriously.

ESPIONAGEMISSION_CITY_POISON_WATER
<iCost>2400</iCost>

ESPIONAGEMISSION_CITY_UNHAPPINESS
<iCost>240</iCost>

I guess the question comes down to identifying what is a valid strategic reason to use the poison city mission? Foment unhappiness is in a similar position, where it's a really unfun thing to have happen to you and doesn't serve much of a strategic purpose, either. I ran a foment unhappiness mission against CH in PB18 for about 95% spite and 5% hope that it would slow his research to Rifling by one turn, but it wasn't effective in delaying research. At least that mission can have an easy counter. He moved more units into the city to counter the -8 frown via extra military police smile . So, even if it's a mission of questionable strategic value at least it has a counter.

The poisoning mission is just as unfun to have run against you and there isn't a lot you can do to counter it in the short term. If you get hit by it you're probably going to have to shuffle tiles, maybe beg/trade for some health resources, rush an otherwise unecessary build (aqueduct, etc), or accept a possible starvation scenario where you maybe lose a pop or two. That said, for the massive EP cost to make such a thing happen maybe it's worthwhile to let an adversary do that small bit of damage to you, since it obviously costs them a whole lot more in terms of commerce/EP to make it happen. I don't really think the valuation needs changing.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

That said, I really do like the strategic options spies give in the pillage tile, remove culture defense, and spread culture missions.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(May 6th, 2015, 12:16)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: I guess the question comes down to identifying what is a valid strategic reason to use the poison city mission? Foment unhappiness is in a similar position, where it's a really unfun thing to have happen to you and doesn't serve much of a strategic purpose, either. I ran a foment unhappiness mission against CH in PB18 for about 95% spite and 5% hope that it would slow his research to Rifling by one turn, but it wasn't effective in delaying research. At least that mission can have an easy counter. He moved more units into the city to counter the -8 frown via extra military police smile . So, even if it's a mission of questionable strategic value at least it has a counter.

The poisoning mission is just as unfun to have run against you and there isn't a lot you can do to counter it in the short term. If you get hit by it you're probably going to have to shuffle tiles, maybe beg/trade for some health resources, rush an otherwise unecessary build (aqueduct, etc), or accept a possible starvation scenario where you maybe lose a pop or two. That said, for the massive EP cost to make such a thing happen maybe it's worthwhile to let an adversary do that small bit of damage to you, since it obviously costs them a whole lot more in terms of commerce/EP to make it happen. I don't really think the valuation needs changing.

The changelog says "Costs of all active spy missions doubled." The cost of the poison water mission is not doubled, it is increased 20 times, which is an error. scared Either the changelog should be updated with the poison water mission, or the cost of the mission should be changed. That is it. shades

That's fair. My position would be to update the change log with the 20x cost. It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

You know, you picked a really bad day to bring this up...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Why is that?

Bye bye Espionage.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Hello 2.0.7.4 baseline.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(May 6th, 2015, 13:39)Krill Wrote: Bye bye (active) Espionage.