As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Key Binder

(June 19th, 2023, 19:57)Athryan Wrote: Thank you for all the fixes and QOL you brought into the table, Drake! Is there any chance that these versions will come into Steam or GOG? Also, can this be combined with your universal MOM Patcher?

You're welcome! Both of those things are in the plans, and I apologize that they haven't happened yet. Unfortunately, this project has been on hold for over a year now due to time constraints, with only sporadic updates. That last post from me is still the current version, which I ended up not pushing to Slitherine out of consideration for the remake. That was probably a good thing too, because the new game launched with no support for either key mapping or screen edge scrolling - shortcomings that have since been rectified. In the meantime though, I've had a few minor issues reported that are still awaiting investigation. They are the next things on my to-do list whenever I have a bit of spare time.

Concurrently, last year, someone was nice enough to send me a genuine set of v1.00 files, which also need to be included in the community patcher. Sadly, this confirmed something I've been suspecting but could not get around to checking - namely, that there are a few data files that did not exist in the earliest version(s). The patcher can't create these from scratch, which means that I need to mark one or more versions in it as downgrade only. Ideally, I should probably try to look for a perpetually-available official v1.31 update download to include a link to in the readme.

Once these two tasks are complete to a degree I'm satisfied with, I'll update the patcher, and when that's done, I can push to Slitherine. Whether they'll update the steam/gog versions will be up to them, but I don't really see why they wouldn't. In any case, at that point, the patcher by itself will likely suffice for most people anyway, the only possible issue being reinstalls.

(June 21st, 2023, 17:05)drake178 Wrote: You're welcome! Both of those things are in the plans, and I apologize that they haven't happened yet...

Bless! I really appreciate this great news and will patiently await for the upcoming update. Anyway, will there be another improvement you bring into the table in the future?

Truly remarkable work!
Civilization Mods/Scenarios:
Civ1 Soundtrack Overhaul mod, ToT Graphics for Civ2MGE mod, Star Wars Civ2 Scenario, Heroes of Might & Magic Civ2 Scenario, Wonxs C&C Civ2 Scenario Remaster, Red Alert 2 Siege of New York Civ2 Scenario, Civ2 Master of Magic Jr Scenario Remaster For ToT, Attilas Conquest - Play as Barbarians in every Civ game Scenario Series.

[Image: BGx3xEC.gif]
Blake's Sanctum:
- TC Mods: Quest for Glory IV 3D Hexen, & Star Trek Doom 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, & Star Trek Games

I've updated the patchers yesterday, but for some reason I can't edit the original post to update the change logs. The only new entry is:
Quote:* Trying to assign an invalid destination to an already finished (out of moves) army no longer deselects that army.

In all 3 of them. Other than this, it's a handful of minor fixes, mostly of my own code. No major issues. In any case, these will be the final versions for this project (please revert any previous versions before re-downloading). Anything else will go into the next one (yes, there hopefully will be such a thing). Thanks for reading wink

(September 8th, 2023, 17:15)drake178 Wrote: I've updated the patchers yesterday, but for some reason I can't edit the original post to update the change logs. The only new entry is:
Quote:* Trying to assign an invalid destination to an already finished (out of moves) army no longer deselects that army.
  • In all 3 of them. Other than this, it's a handful of minor fixes, mostly of my own code. No major issues. In any case, these will be the final versions for this project (please revert any previous versions before re-downloading). Anything else will go into the next one (yes, there hopefully will be such a thing). Thanks for reading wink

Thank you for the update! Perfect timing, as I'm currently setting up Master of Magic for my Android phone. lol

I have a slight problem though. Although the pathfinding has improved, there are still several occasions where one-movement units are directed to a long path instead of going through the mountains/swamps/forests. Any chance you will look into that?

(September 10th, 2023, 08:01)Athryan Wrote: I have a slight problem though. Although the pathfinding has improved, there are still several occasions where one-movement units are directed to a long path instead of going through the mountains/swamps/forests. Any chance you will look into that?

Certainly, but there's one small catch. This is theoretically impossible, which means that if it does happen, the error can be anywhere. Unless I somehow luck out and bump into it myself by accident, I'll need save files to investigate.

(September 10th, 2023, 17:54)drake178 Wrote: Certainly, but there's one small catch. This is theoretically impossible, which means that if it does happen, the error can be anywhere. Unless I somehow luck out and bump into it myself by accident, I'll need save files to investigate.

The path finding issue occurs somewhat often for me though. For example, my Shadow Demon could've crossed a few mountains to go into enemy city asap, but instead elected to go around the mountain. That's why I thought you wouldn't need any save file. I'll post one and how to reproduce the bug as soon as I find a new one.

(September 10th, 2023, 23:41)Athryan Wrote: The path finding issue occurs somewhat often for me though. For example, my Shadow Demon could've crossed a few mountains to go into enemy city asap, but instead elected to go around the mountain. That's why I thought you wouldn't need any save file. I'll post one and how to reproduce the bug as soon as I find a new one.

Shadow Demons should not even be affected by this in any way. They have flight and non-corporeal both, which means uniform movement costs for every tile. One of the issues fixed in the final version was finished (out of moves) units showing the wrong or no path when re-selected, but that did not affect their actual movement next turn. Although this could create the perception of the issue you're describing, that would still not affect Shadow Demons because they have a movement allowance of only 1, which again yields uniform costs for all tiles except roads... I don't know. Post a save, and I'll figure it out. smile

EDIT: One other thing I can think of is that you're using 1.31b, rather than 1.60, which doesn't have the Djikstra patch included yet. That version is not going into either the universal patcher or to steam/GoG though.

(September 11th, 2023, 05:01)drake178 Wrote: Shadow Demons should not even be affected by this in any way. They have flight and non-corporeal both, which means uniform movement costs for every tile. One of the issues fixed in the final version was finished (out of moves) units showing the wrong or no path when re-selected, but that did not affect their actual movement next turn. Although this could create the perception of the issue you're describing, that would still not affect Shadow Demons because they have a movement allowance of only 1, which again yields uniform costs for all tiles except roads... I don't know. Post a save, and I'll figure it out. smile

EDIT: One other thing I can think of is that you're using 1.31b, rather than 1.60, which doesn't have the Djikstra patch included yet. That version is not going into either the universal patcher or to steam/GoG though.

I apologize for not making myself clear. Yes, I was using 1.31b. I really like the option to keep vanilla mechanics intact while still enjoying bug fixes and QoL improvements. Bummer that you won't include it... Why won't you at least include it to universal though...?

(September 11th, 2023, 06:13)Athryan Wrote: Bummer that you won't include it... Why won't you at least include it to universal though...?

A few reasons. First and foremost, v1.31X is a pet project, nothing official. The primary - and very selfish - reason I'm sharing it at all is because doing so creates a potential for gaining a few extra sets of eyes to spot any flaws in my code. There should be no reason for someone to play it over the Community Patch. But, of course, I think (and our conversation more or less proves) that this is not actually true, which brings us to the second reason.

I'm an optimist. At some point in the (hopefully not overly distant) future, the only difference between v1.31X and the Community Patch will amount to a bunch of default settings. Every fix I write, and every improvement I make, has to manifest in the Community Patch. So long as, if and when I fire up the game to play, I launch v1.31X - or v1.31, Insecticide, or v1.51 for that matter - instead of the CP, my "work" here remains unfinished. Which also coincides with yet another point: I have no intention of splitting the community even further by creating yet another separate branch of "improved MoM". On the contrary, if anything, I want to converge at least two, but possibly more, of those branches.

And last, but not least, for the life of me, I couldn't come up with a version number that would accurately reflect what I'm doing. Unfortunately, the previous patch-makers have inadvertently painted me into a corner with their numbering. If I were to put v1.31X into the Community Patcher, no one would ever even see it (circling back to reason number 1). After all, it's a downgrade from v1.40n, isn't it? At the same time, I wouldn't want to publish it as a "patch" to vanilla v1.31 either. I'm neither Simtex, nor Microprose. Others have made that mistake already, so I don't have to.