As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

LURKER THREAD- No Players

Uh, have to correct myself, that's often 3 food res for those without flood plains

(December 14th, 2019, 07:25)Miguelito Wrote: I've  been reading on the German forum as well.  The stats are all designed in a way that you get 2 food resources + gold/silver/gems if SIP. 1 food resource if flood plains (not sure if this is justified). There's nearly always a plains hill you can move to with the same resources but no fresh water.
But I have to give it to jm/Krill that theirs is the start that strikes me as the worst of those I've seen. Still Easily set of by the right neighbour.

I've read all 37 stories there.

From what I've seen, pretty much everybody has the same choice to make (settle in place vs move to plains hill without fresh water). I did not take exact notes on how many chose the plains hill start, but pretty much all the more experienced players did so, if I recall correctly.

If I am correctly informed, "balancing" was limited to the land / resources. There was NO matching to leader traits and starting techs (deliberately, if I am not mistaken).

I agree with those who do not value 4 flood plains tiles as highly as a second "real" food source and do agree that other positions are definitely better than the one jm got.

I only registered here today and thus cannot judge the skill level of jm or krill. But moving out of range of your best food source seems... not very reasonable to me. If you go for a massive gamble like that you have very little right to complain. Just my 2 Cents...

But your bottom line will indeed prove correct, Miguelito. Some will start very well, others will profit massively from having neighbours who lack experience during the phase where "settling" is done by axemen rather than settlers...

I'll enjoy following the many stories of this PB just as much as I enjoyed playing in the predecessor back in the day...

Jm and Krill are both very experienced players here. Also important to note is that Krill is in charge of our own mod (RtR). He's doing the balancing there and general direction of the mod.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Superjm start seems inferior to me. Compare with superdeath for instance. It is not unplayable, but definitely challenging.
My singleplayer balance mod of BTS: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3u6g4b2nfa74qhm...%20mod.odt?

Hello and welcome Papa Bear

(December 16th, 2019, 09:01)Miguelito Wrote: Hello and welcome Papa Bear

Thanks!

And I agree with chumchu. jm's start is clearly below the average the other players have to make do with.

Quote:While others seem to have considerably less skill. The good thing is that most of the latter write stories, which in turn will ensure that they will get advice from readers (at least four of our top ten players are not playing themselves and one of these is already active in this regard).

Based on this, it seems like your lurking rules are slightly less strict than ours? We sometimes play 'Greens' games, where mechanic advice from lurkers is explicitly allowed, but in general the assumption here is you can't give people advice while the game is going on, you can only answer mechanics questions if they directly ask.

Superjm is also lucky he is Mehmed of the ottomans for this start. Expansive, wheel, agriculture is just about the best you can have to make the start decent.
My singleplayer balance mod of BTS: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3u6g4b2nfa74qhm...%20mod.odt?

(December 18th, 2019, 08:33)The Black Sword Wrote: Based on this, it seems like your lurking rules are slightly less strict than ours? We sometimes play 'Greens' games, where mechanic advice from lurkers is explicitly allowed, but in general the assumption here is you can't give people advice while the game is going on, you can only answer mechanics questions if they directly ask.

The casual rules are:
• Omit everything you read in other stories, but not in this thread.
• If you're unsure about spoiling something, don't post.

We have no rule that unspoken game mechanics, etc can not be mentioned, but I'm not sure the overall handling is less strict.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of your rules are:

• As reader you can read in multiple stories of each game
• The players often store their passwords in the story threads.
• (All) readers can help out and play turns, if the player is absent and ask for help.

Yeah, overall we are very similar(and perhaps the same), I was interested in the edge cases. Here's an example situation:

Someone is about to complete a Granary while the food box is 24/24. Can I tell him to turn on the Avoid Growth button to gain extra food?

On RB the answer would be no, I can't. However, if the player explicitly asked the lurkers to explain the Granary and Avoid Growth mechanics, we could do that.

I'm curious if you guys would expect the same behaviour from lurkers in those situations?