As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

(October 24th, 2013, 07:53)Krill Wrote: I'm waiting for BNW to go on sale in the Steam winter sale. If it drops low enough I might buy it.
Same here. Down 50% would probably be enough to grab me. And the patch state has probably mostly settled in now too which is the other thing to wait for on games.

Civ 6 would be due in 2015 by the normal five-year iteration. Although the expansions for Civ 5 came out relatively later than for previous Civs so taking longer wouldn't be unexpected.

Firaxis would be stupid not to do a Civ 6, it'd be a guaranteed cash cow. Just have to hope they resist turning it into some online social junk like SimCity.

(October 24th, 2013, 09:29)T-hawk Wrote: Just have to hope they resist turning it into some online social junk like SimCity.

Firaxis isn't owned by EA, thank god smile

(October 24th, 2013, 10:04)Jowy Wrote:
(October 24th, 2013, 09:29)T-hawk Wrote: Just have to hope they resist turning it into some online social junk like SimCity.

Yes, instead they are owned by 2K, who have never done anything wrong, right?
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

(October 24th, 2013, 10:06)Dp101 Wrote:
(October 24th, 2013, 10:04)Jowy Wrote:

Yes, instead they are owned by 2K, who have never done anything wrong, right?

Sorry, I wasn't aware that 2K was pushing for always-online DRM.

I think it'd be both hilarious and awesome if they did total war style battles for Civ6

Would give a soft cap of about 10-20 units per tile, although I bet if less than that on a tile adjacent armies (up to the cap) could reinforce during battle.

In modern era, could order artillery strikes, air strikes, and naval bombardment as activated powers if the right units are within range. Bombers used in-battle during a turn can't be used anywhere else, and equally bombers that were used on bombing runs can't be used in-battle.

Artillery would technically still be on the map, and therefore susceptible to enemy air strikes. (at least until rocket artillery).

Earlier artillery would stil use activated powers, but would have less range, so likely can't sit at the far end of the map, unless entire army is there.

I don't think Civ has ever gone for some kind of hybrid: tiles + zoom-in combat system before.

All I hope is that it has a good pre-production phase, with 80% of the design nailed down early in development, and alphatesters to hone it to perfection. Last thing I want is another frankenstein monstrosity of progressively newer elements clumsily duct-taped together.

And I'd be interested in another BNW game, I've been playing some MP Civ5 and it isn't half bad. Compared with Civ4, there's a much lower skill cap on management, and fewer interesting decisions to make every turn, but it's much easier to do everything necessary on a Blazing turn timer.

It's still dead boring unless you're playing on Quick gamespeed.

Civ has also never gone 1UPT before 5.

And before 5 Civ has never gone Hex tiles before either

but I kid ... I kid ... as interesting (and awesome, and hilarious) as it would be to have tactical battles in Civ, the reality is that it is, at least in the contemporary paradigm, an unfathomable concept for a true strategy game. Therefore I would say that finding true tactical battles in the next iteration of Civilization would ultimately be an unlikely possibility.

(October 24th, 2013, 19:37)Tasunke Wrote: Civ has also never gone 1UPT before 5.

And before 5 Civ has never gone Hex tiles before either

but I kid ... I kid ... as interesting (and awesome, and hilarious) as it would be to have tactical battles in Civ, the reality is that it is, at least in the contemporary paradigm, an unfathomable concept for a true strategy game. Therefore I would say that finding true tactical battles in the next iteration of Civilization would ultimately be an unlikely possibility.

Civ 1 & 2 had de facto 1upt because if killed off one unit in the stack--the entire stack died.

dude seriously? :D

Edit: That's pretty awesome ... though more of a soft limit imho ... if you knew ur units had a low likelihood of dying, you might stack a few together to make mobility easier.

In Alpha Centauri, if a unit in a stack died, the rest received collateral.