As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

(November 28th, 2012, 22:16)NobleHelium Wrote: Also, none of the hell demons could be necroed?

no frown

So what do we want in the fortress?

Finding sites with all desirable features is very difficult to impossible, but here are things we might want:

Ease of use:

- Raw materials for a steel industry
- Wood
- Good variety of ore
- Easy freshwater supply

Aesthetic:

- Water features such as waterfalls, rivers
- Mountainside / Volcano
- Any other sort of interesting geography

Interesting gameplay:

- Aggressive wildlife
- Caverns with some sort of comprehensible layout
- Proximity to evil sites
- Proximity to the slippery confederation

(November 29th, 2012, 10:34)uberfish Wrote: Ease of use:

- Raw materials for a steel industry (charcoal=wood and flux stone you can plan for. Availability of iron is pure luck)
- Wood (yes)
- Good variety of ore (one can search for sites with mutiple shallow and deep metals, but not for special types)
- Easy freshwater supply (river or partial aquifer)

Aesthetic:

- Water features such as waterfalls, rivers (sounds good. Running water tends to impact on fps, but I suggest we limit the number of dwarves initially anyway.)
- Mountainside / Volcano (Mountains yes, although not strictly necessary. A lot of the "cool" mountains sites are already claimed by the multiple dwarven civs on the map. I have never done a volcano. Should be interesting. Although there is only one volcano on the map.)
- Any other sort of interesting geography

Interesting gameplay:

- Aggressive wildlife (yep. Untamed wilderness or such)
- Caverns with some sort of comprehensible layout ( smile not going to happen. There will always be caverns. And they will always make you want to quit the game because of their layout.)
- Proximity to evil sites (won't have any effect, I believe)
- Proximity to the slippery confederation (yes)

Furthermore we should consider whether we want invaders turned on. I would say yes, to get the full experience.

And how do we want to handle the turns?
A season each, or a full year each?

And how do we want to embark? Default equipment and skills?
Or do we want the actual lurkers and ourselves to choose what skills and what equipment we want? That will ensure some FUN!

So far we have:
mostly_harmless
Uberfish
Ichabod

And we will name our dwarves after volunteering lurkers (and the players?)

Dwarven lurkers:
pling
Cyneheard
Tasunke
Jkaen
Brian Shanahan
Brackard
sunrise
Adbekunkus
Kylearan

Any more lurkers? Or people interested in playing?

Any feedback is welcome.

Uberfish, remember you have the latest save file.
I am fine, if you want to kick us off, once we have everything settled or I can do it or anyone else, really.

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Just saying one more time so that my fellow players are warned: I never played DF Fortress mode.

At least I'm sure we'll get to rotate the lurker names during my turns. lol

Sure, sign me up for a dwarf.

I would like a dwarf too. Wish I could join you in playing, but I don't have the time.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Ok I'm doing a bit of prospecting for 4x4 regions with minerals... I've found a site that looks fairly promising near the dragon cave SE of the waterfall tourist site MH built. Lots of resources, river, hills, jungle for large animals, Untamed Wilds, and it's near areas of our previous activity so we might see some history there!

Seven foolhardy bold dwarves set out to found Fortress Arakoslan, "Shaftwinds"!

Embarking on a 4x5 to cover two biomes and have flowing water. On top of an aquifer, which I'll try to breach.

Taking the following itemst:

Copper Pick, Copper Axe, Anvil
84 alcohol
10 of each seed
15 pork, 15 wild boar, 15 fish
30 plump helmets
2 ropes
a bucket
10 gypsum plaster
11 olivine (To make stone items in case we hit the aquifer immediately)
1 piece of raw green glass (in case someone desperately likes glass and wants to make an artifact)

The following animals: 1 male and 2 females for all except cats which only have 1 female because we don't particularly need a lot of cats.

Dogs
Cats
Chickens
Ducks
Blue Peafowl

I'm ded-lurking this, so would be honored to receive a dwarf.

Bad-tempered Soldier/Fighter would go well with my RL alignment & job.

While I'm in no position to demand certain types of posts, in the spirit of the amazing early FFH threads, and considering what seems to be an enormous learning curve, I'd love it if uberfish and m_h could go slow and explain things in detail as they start the game. For example, I'd like to know the significance of the criteria uberfish gave for the settlement location.