As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[NO 73 PLAYERS] Lurkers Monitoring Variance

This isn't criticism of Tarkeel, but I do think the decision not to divulge island set up is going to affect decisions. Oxy choose the isolated start but looks to be wanting to go military tech. It won't be worthless, but I wonder if he would pick an economic if he knew.

I also kind of hate an Iron Rome pick by Cairo. I like Krills idea of going Egypt of Zulu for some early two movers. You wouldn't even HAVE to pick the tech to go along with, you could still do math (or other) and naturally tech to AH & BW. Or hell go Maya and pick BW and just first build a Holkan.

I do like Scooters civil service pick. I think it makes the most sense economically to not get run over and also to not fall behind / grab other early benefits.

Oxygen would pick Astro and Vikings or Dutch if he knew he were in an island and he would be untouchable. All options have significant downsides.

I wonder if Luddite should opt out of tech (because he only cares about tech to grow his economy to support a larger army, and importantly, a navy, and so go with something like Zara? His start is also tailor made for HRE...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I want to see someone pick Steam Power and see how that compares to CS. Perma-serfdom from the start (and levees) seems like it'd be really strong.

(June 28th, 2023, 12:25)greenline Wrote: I want to see someone pick Steam Power and see how that compares to CS. Perma-serfdom from the start (and levees) seems like it'd be really strong.

Best paired with India, actually.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(June 28th, 2023, 12:25)greenline Wrote: I want to see someone pick Steam Power and see how that compares to CS. Perma-serfdom from the start (and levees) seems like it'd be really strong.

I suspect it would fall behind a well played CS opening.  The extra hammers and commerce will more than make up for the lower worker speed.   

Unless ofc the CS start does something silly like build a WB before worker.
fnord

I wonder what would happen if Luddite picked Joao of Maya. Unrushable UU, unstoppable free tech military, just manage to get to Math and then the trio of Calendar, Construction and Currency solve every issue.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

So, can Cairo get a musketeer to luddite's capital before the first AT is up? I guess a lot will depend on spitting, and their willingness to go unit before settler. popcorn

Also can scooter's bureaucracy and better start handle cataphracts by the time yuris has HBR and iron? Defending against that will suck even with maces, which I assume he can have in time. Butt maybe he also just ends up twice as big and can handle with spears

They are basically playing a very slightly modded base bts right? So elephants are still 8 strength as a counter to cataphracts.

I like scooter's Vikings pick, the entire uninhabited southern island chain is Galley-accessible, and the vanilla GLH is in play. As for cataphract defense, scooter has ivory at the capital and WEs should do well enough, as Mjmd pointed out.

(June 29th, 2023, 10:16)Miguelito Wrote: So,  can Cairo get a musketeer to luddite's capital before the first AT is up? I guess a lot will depend on spitting,  and their willingness to go unit before settler. popcorn

Also can scooter's bureaucracy and better start handle cataphracts by the time yuris has HBR and iron? Defending against that will suck even with maces,  which I assume he can have in time.  Butt maybe he also just ends up twice as big and can handle with spears

Cairo with Gunpowder/France definitely has ways of dealing with incoming early artillery that literally nobody else does, so that's a lucky break for him.

If Scooter's planning on beelining Machinery the handy thing with his Bureau start is that he'll be pretty close to pikes too. It's nothing fun to deal with, but he's got options.

Oxy going pure economy with his Start 1/Communism pick melded very nicely with his solo island.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.