As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

I'm getting associations which might not be intended ... granted ... there is only so many things that stuff can be called but still

(March 20th, 2013, 02:44)Sian Wrote: I'm getting associations which might not be intended ... granted ... there is only so many things that stuff can be called but still

That's what I assume it's about too.

It is absolutely what they're trying to reference.

Whether or not the metaphors hold up is still in the air,

end tier of Freedom being "Free Love Future"?

Did anyone else see anything about the changes to Cultural victory? I wonder why they decided to change it, since the Civ 5 cultural victory is one of the few areas where I think Civ 5 made something better than Civ 4.

"Culture Victory

-This is tied to your cultural pressure that you make from tourism
-if your lifetime accumulation of Tourism exceeds each other civs lifetime accumulation of Culture, you will achieve a Culture Victory - Ed Beach"

Tourism is such a terrible name for this concept. I'm hoping there's a misunderstanding somewhere, maybe tourism, together with archeology is a part of a new "cultural pressure" mechanic. Influence could be a good name (anything other than Tourism).

And tourism is supposed to be a new tile yield. So we can get tiles with food, production, gold, science, faith, culture and tourism? And how are you going to accumulate tourism so fast in order to make a cultural victory possible? You'll need thousands of tourism to win a CV and I don't think you can start accumulating it in the Ancient Age...

(March 19th, 2013, 17:31)Brian Shanahan Wrote:
(March 19th, 2013, 17:08)Sirian Wrote: What I'm really curious about is where Civ6 will aim to go. Is it going to be more like a Civ5.5 with mostly the same core mechanics as Civ5? Or will there be a more significant reboot, perhaps with some fresh ideas and/or throwbacks to earlier in the franchise? Lot of years away before that answer will emerge, but Civ6 itself seems a pretty safe bet.

You know, I'd honestly seriously consider taking up religion again if it helped prevent Civ 5.5.

Quote:Apparently, it managed to appeal to a new audience, which was one of its goals.

I'd be very sceptical of this claim, from eyeballing Steam numbers alone. I remember looking at them one day and seeing it dwarfed by Football Manager 2010 which had nearly three times the average players (c. 22k for Civ and c. 60k for FM), with the joint caveat that FM 2010 wasn't a steam only game and FM 2011 had already been released (i.e. we were comparing all Civ players with some FM players, and even then we were looking at a game well beyond peak for FM). Seriously, Civ 5 may have sold well, but it never showed good numbers in playtime (which is essential for a strategy game, especially if you're looking at a franchise).

I have to admit I have no idea how Football Manager gets so many players. But if we ignore that, Civ5 has been doing well and still is. As we speak it has the second highest amount of players in-game of all AAA-titles, only beaten by Skyrim. It's at about 50% of Team Fortress 2, which is a free game that everyone has. Tomb Raider is a fresh, well-received AAA title, but Civ5 has 3x the players in-game as we speak, despite being a much older game. I think it's safe to say the numbers are there, and it's evident in how often Civ5 comes up amongst those who aren't (or weren't) hardcore Civ fans.

where do you get such numbers Jowy ... inquiring minds want to know

(March 20th, 2013, 09:16)Sian Wrote: where do you get such numbers Jowy ... inquiring minds want to know

I'm guessing he gets it from here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

(March 19th, 2013, 17:31)Brian Shanahan Wrote: Seriously, Civ 5 may have sold well, but it never showed good numbers in playtime (which is essential for a strategy game, especially if you're looking at a franchise).

I personally agree, a game is liked by me if I sink hours into it.

But from an economic standpoint, if CIV 5 sold better then CIV 4, we will have CIV 5.5 as CIV 6 as you put it.

Jowy are the other games solely played through steam as well?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.