As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Lurkerloos and map discussion

Thoth/Comm's plan to settle their third city far away from their capital, near scooticator's capital, with copper second ring and still easily settlable first ring by scooticator, with no copper defenders until copper is optimistically hooked on turn 73, has got to be the worst third city placement plan of all time.

Isnt that a bit hard on them? I thought they were going for the gold second ring (and covered by culture) as the third city, though still without copper defenders, and then doing the copper as fourth plant.
Hard to tell if Scooter would have pinked them if they went for elephants + island plant instead. And would they have survived without copper that long?
How long does Scooter get to react, roading copper +whip axe, after they notice the gold pink dot?
3 turns before the fourth city, 5 turns for culture then 3? to mine it. Looks like pain coming to me.

(December 14th, 2012, 18:44)SadGit Wrote: Isnt that a bit hard on them? I thought they were going for the gold second ring (and covered by culture) as the third city, though still without copper defenders, and then doing the copper as fourth plant.

Oh you're right, I was looking at a plan that wasn't final. Oops.

Not sure if leaving copper until fourth city makes it more or less crazy.

HBR.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

OK, I've spent the time since PB5 doing...whatever. I'm ready to start watching these games more closely again. So...what the fuck has happened since the game started?

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Discussion question #1: In a few turns Commodore will pink dot Scooter. The gold will be in the second ring of both Commodore's and Scooter's BFC. Given the distance will Scooter be able to see Commodore's plant immediately?

Commodore is going to plant in the face of a Scooter and may initially have only a Chariot! Scooter has both copper and horses! A couple of turns of not being noticed could really help Commodore's chances. Does he have a chance at getting those extra turns?

Discussion question #2: Plako's on an island with Merohoc. Plako's got a good choke point and huge jungle grasslands south of him. Is this a foregone conclusion with Merohoc boxed in and Plako outgrowing him until he gobbles him up?

(December 21st, 2012, 17:15)MindyMcCready Wrote: Discussion question #1: In a few turns Commodore will pink dot Scooter. The gold will be in the second ring of both Commodore's and Scooter's BFC. Given the distance will Scooter be able to see Commodore's plant immediately?

If Commodore plants on the column of tiles that includes the hill, scooter will see it immediately. With Noble on their side I would expect all hell to break loose and for Noble to come out on top. If Commodore plants for the copper, same outcome.

Quote:Commodore is going to plant in the face of a Scooter and may initially have only a Chariot! Scooter has both copper and horses! A couple of turns of not being noticed could really help Commodore's chances. Does he have a chance at getting those extra turns?

No.

Quote:Discussion question #2: Plako's on an island with Merohoc. Plako's got a good choke point and huge jungle grasslands south of him. Is this a foregone conclusion with Merohoc boxed in and Plako outgrowing him until he gobbles him up?

I'm spoiled (Read: I know the map) so no comment.

As an aside, use less exclamation marks.

(December 21st, 2012, 17:15)MindyMcCready Wrote: Discussion question #2: Plako's on an island with Merohoc. Plako's got a good choke point and huge jungle grasslands south of him. Is this a foregone conclusion with Merohoc boxed in and Plako outgrowing him until he gobbles him up?

I don't think so. Plako's jungle is really terrible land. Merohoc's tundra will have more viable cities in the medium term with the fish and deer. Plako can't really plant anything down there until iron working, and only after calender are there a few decent cities. Once Merohoc runs out of space to expand peacefully, there is a chance he will successfully attack Plako if he does everything right.

Except Plako is a notoriously tenacious player. Merovech has no real reputation for aggression, especially with no metal lined up. Plako isn't going to fold to something like that. He can afford to play the long game. Merovech is doooomed.

Also, it's funny how the aborted Pink dot gambit by Commodore accelerated the timetable for his destruction at swarms of Impis smile. Commodore is also doooomed.