As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Books

I think we're mainly suggesting sci-fi because the OP was asking about a sci-fi series.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(January 9th, 2013, 19:04)Bigger Wrote: also, you're an idiot and I refuse to read your book neenerneener

That's the spirit lol!

Darrell

(January 9th, 2013, 19:21)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I actually wasn't all that impressed by it. It starts good, and the terraforming stuff is great (and the basis for SMAC of course.) But it loses steam towards the end of the first book, never really escalates to a solid payoff, and strays way too far from the hard sci-fi roots by the end of the trilogy. Still worth reading if you want to, though.

I just picked up the first two Iain Banks Culture books. Everybody seems to love those so I'm hoping they please me too.

(December 26th, 2012, 00:34)Lewwyn Wrote: Robin Hobb is wonderful. Start with Assassin's Apprentice and go from there. Beautiful worldbuilder and character writer.
I second this one. Incredibly immersive in following along with the main character's viewpoint, you really feel like you're living his life along with him.

Quote:I just picked up the first two Iain Banks Culture books. Everybody seems to love those so I'm hoping they please me too.

Book 1 is one of the weaker entries, and has quite a different feel. It's not horrible or anything. Just different.
Book 2 is a better representation of what you're in for across the majority of the series.

(January 9th, 2013, 19:21)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. A classic hard sci fi staple, but unlike so many others, the story is focused on the interesting characters. What kind of messed up person would be both intellectually brilliant, socially sociable, yet lack the terrestrial rooting to blast themselves off a new world, knowing they will never return? The characters are so well realised and yet fun to read as they play off against each other. The science of it isn't bad, as everyone struggles with their vision of how they will realise the future of the solar system. It's wonderfully optimistic.

I actually prefer his Years of Rice and Salt collection. I couldn't really get into the Mars trilogy.

It is more alternative (note correct spellingnono ) history than hard sci-fi, but then again sci-fi does not have to be a vision of the future with ships zipping through the luminiferous aether or jaunteing through the solar system.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

I'm interested in finding a fantasy book/series to read. I prefer traditional fantasy (in the lack of a better term - probably using the wrong one, though), like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, rather than Sci-Fi (though the only Sci-Fi thing I've read that I can remember is Neuromancer, which I didn't even finish). Feel free to recommend even the most known ones, because my knowledge about fantasy literature is very limited (if it doesn't sell millions and has a blockbuster movie, it'll not reach Brazil). The only thing is that it would be better if it has simple language (not too old or complex), becuase I'll have to read it in english.

And I've already read all the Twilight books, so those are off.

Hey, Gaspar! dancing

E. E. Knight's "Age of Fire" series.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

You read all the Twilight books??

http://grrm.livejournal.com/316785.html

Darrell

Robin Hobb, the Assassin's Apprentice series, as Lewwyn mentioned a few posts up. Great worldbuilding and storytelling. Very focused and immersive from the main character's viewpoint. You really feel like you're living in the fantasy world, which I've always found more difficult in books with a zillion characters (Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones.)