As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

New Civilization 5 Expansion - Brave New World

(March 20th, 2013, 13:22)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Jowy are the other games solely played through steam as well?

Yeah those that I mentioned. Even if you buy it elsewhere, you need to have a Steam account and connect to Steam to play the game. Those games can be compared to each other. But for example Civ5 can't be compared to the new Sim City, because that one uses Origin (EA's own DRM / online store). I don't know if they release any stats.

Just a note:

you can play CivV in offline mode too.

(March 20th, 2013, 13:58)Jowy Wrote:
(March 20th, 2013, 13:22)Qgqqqqq Wrote: Jowy are the other games solely played through steam as well?

Yeah those that I mentioned. Even if you buy it elsewhere, you need to have a Steam account and connect to Steam to play the game. Those games can be compared to each other. But for example Civ5 can't be compared to the new Sim City, because that one uses Origin (EA's own DRM / online store). I don't know if they release any stats.

Er... I'm pretty sure several of the ones you mentioned are primarily played on consoles (without steam).

(March 20th, 2013, 14:01)Rowain Wrote: Just a note:

Yes, all Steam games (singleplayer portions, anyway) can be played offline, but you have to connect once at the beginning and put offline mode on. I don't know how used this mode is, but I'd imagine the % of people using it is about the same for each game, unless of course it's a multiplayer game, in which case offline mode is useless. I guess we could say Civ5 is closer to TF2 than we thought smile

(March 20th, 2013, 14:03)SevenSpirits Wrote:

Er... I'm pretty sure several of the ones you mentioned are primarily played on consoles (without steam).

Yeah, we're talking about PC games. I would assume, since this is a Civ5 topic, and it's a PC-only game.

Yeah, but those games are not PC-only, let alone steam only. Which was the question.

Not that anyone is able to play Sim City 5 right now. neenerneener

(March 20th, 2013, 14:01)Rowain Wrote: Just a note:

That's true. I, for once, constantly play Steam games offline when possible.

----

No comment on the Tourism mechanic? Is everybody okay with the possibility of reading "Nobunaga wins a Touristic Victory"? lol

(March 20th, 2013, 14:07)SevenSpirits Wrote: Yeah, but those games are not PC-only, let alone steam only. Which was the question.

Why would that be a question? Consoles are irrelevant. I thought he meant whether it was possible to play Civ5 without using Steam. There are some games that have both Steam and non-Steam versions, though none that I mentioned were ones.

I think commercial success has a influence in deciding wheter to make a Civ VI or not, but it's not that important regarding what will Civ VI be like.

Let's just see the case of Civ V. Was Civ IV a commercial failure? By the logic of commercial success influencing game mechanics, I'd guess it was, since Civ V was so different from it. But if Civ IV was a successful game, why change it as much as they did?

I don't think the money guys care that much about game mechanics and the like, if the game is going to be 1UPT, if the improvements will be meaningful to the tile yield, how will the happiness system work...

If Civ V ended up a failuer, I think there would be no expansions for it. Maybe Civ VI would be in danger. But saying that Civ VI will be similar to V mechanics wise due to comemrcial success doesn't have a base in reality, at least from what I can gather. In fact, now that jon Shafer left Firaxis, I imagine Civ VI will be pretty different from what we have.

No I didn't.
I meant your saying a bunch of games had less steam players then Civ5 and I was thinking wether it not it any of those games had a non-steam functionality that might skew the stats.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.