As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

LURKER THREAD- No Players

Thanks!

I've only played with naufragar in PB38. He was on the other side of the world, but my impression is that he had a solid showing for a first-timer. Someone with more recent experiences could maybe expand on that.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I don't think he's a top player, but he's a determined defender who won't die cheap.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

If DZ had landed GLH with all that territory available I think he would be doing great. He probably is still fine if he can grab even most the spots he wants, but he's Toku so probably should have prioritized GLH a little more.

Just to add some Info from the Civforum Lurker Thread: other readers (who mostly are better players that I would ever hope to be, anyway...) have named the following players as their favourites / players currently being in a good position:

Suite. He plays Saladin and is in the same spot Kaffeesatzleser won the predecessor game from. He has expanded quite well so far and does not seem to be in any immediate danger from any of his neighbors.

Plemo. He plays Charlemagne and is expanding quite rapidly. No really tough competition in his heighborhood as it seems.

Flunky. He plays Zara Yaqob and seems to be among the tech leaders so far. Strong builders game until now, although doubts have been voiced whether he is a good enough player to cling to the upper positions once human interaction plays more of a role than now (he is in the south pacific and currently only knows the player sitting in Australia).

wahl-profi. He plays Peter. His start has not been especially good (but solid, nonetheless), but he is rated as the best player in his neighborhood (North America), which is why it is expected he will be one of the players who will expand successfully once this is only possible by means of war against other players.

Sauron44. He plays Shaka and has choked his southern neighbor (copper cut off / opponent has only his capital city). Has also razed one of the cities of Piccadilly (Impi-Rush), who is also considered to be one of the top class players.

And who is the last player listed, despite the above mentioned setback. Has founded several cities these past couple of turns (is at peace with Sauron44 now) and is expected to control the continent (they are in Africa) with him in the future.

Like I said, all these names have been mentioned by other players, but I'd still like to pass them on to you, in case anyone is interested in reading up on their stories so far.

Both Kaffeesatzleser (KSL) and Jesper Portus are also very strong players - but they both have had a difficult start. KSL (Alexander) starts on England and can't expand properly, Jesper Portus (Ragnar) sits in central China and is wedged in between several aggressive neighbours). KSL built the Pyramids, which might open an attack window for a sea invasion in Europe or Greenland with Macemen. Jesper has to defeat one of his neighbours before the Middle Ages to play a role in this game - it will probably come down to luck if he is able to pull this off.

Thanks to both of you  thumbsup
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Since I'm already out of the game, I'll feel free to comment here now - although it might be I have to stop that if I'm asked to step in in case of vacations etc. for extended periods of time.

On "whose story to watch":
Definitely Kaffeesatzleser (commonly abb'ed to KSL - full name translates to sth. along the lines of "person trying to glean the last bit of information from very incomplete data"), who not only co-won the forerunner PB, but also explains his strategy and decision-making process very nicely, and is overall a humble, likable and respectful guy. Good reading material, though his position is currently one of the more challenging.

Also definitely Teerohr (or Terror ;-)). His stories are usually very detailed, very emotional, and have the charm of an aggressive roller-coaster. He might not be a favorite, but can usually make things happen in his neighbourhood. He finished 5th or so in the forerunne, dominating North America. Don't miss out!

Dullland. Only a stub of a story so far, but he's my pick for "who will rule in Africa". Playing a FIN civ in an area with lots of flood plains, and having recently taken a 2nd capital, he's in a strong position in spite of a slow start. Very strong player overall.

Wahl-Profi. Another very strong player, there's not anybody out there he can't teach something about micro. Which he likes to go into in his stories. Extensively. His current story is up to 70+ pages. Yikes!

Coco-Rico. Will rule South America or die trying. Very dry, sparse reporting style, but a mercilessly direct player. He took me out, btw, after exceedingly naive play by myself...

Ziankali. Another player in a strong position currently, I wouldn't expect him to win this in spite of it - he's a good player, but not one of the strongest here. But his story will be very interesting: sitting in central Europe with lots of surface area, he neighbours more civs than most others. Also, his reporting is full of information and usually very insightful.

Pico. Starting in Madagascar (!), he managed to snag a religion and two important early wonders. I don't expect him to actually go far, but he's extremely entertaining. His story is unlike any you've read, I daresay: somewhere between a full-RPG AAR and outright trolling the readers. :-DD
Pico had some extremely memorable moments in the forerunner PB when he briefly dismantled KSL's defenses from an underdog position with some highly unlikely, shooting-your-first-adult-film-on-your-18th-birthday legal maneuvers.

Favorites to win:
Plemo, head and shoulders above any and all others, and the only one I'd name as a favourite at this early stage. Plemo has been able to leverage his leader's (Charlemagne) advantages hugely so far - and the best (Rathaus) is still to come! He has lots of territory already and weak(ish) neighbours for when you don't expand via settlers anymore.
He won a prior PB (his first ever...) on a strange island map with random crap all over the place and supercharged Barbs showing up with Privateers in the Middle Ages, which also had some perennial civforum.de favourites (Coco, KSL). Then he co-won another one on a strange mountainous map, also with some very good competition (Jesper Portus). He has shown great adaptability and a willingness to shape his playstyle to the opportunities the map offers him. He'll do well here.

double post...

Is it correct that Meiz is one of the RB players? He was eliminated a few turns ago (main war opponent was Jesper Portus, then Teerohr took the capital after an amphibious invasion and the last city was captured by Flunky) and I am curious whether this rather early exit comes as a surprise or not...

Meiz played a couple games here years ago, but I haven't otherwise seen that name in a long time. From what I remember though, that wouldn't necessarily be a huge shock.