As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

(April 25th, 2014, 08:03)novice Wrote: Scooter played. I summarized the poll results as of now in the poll thread, it looks like 27 of 33 players have voted.

In the interest of not railroading the minority, a rule granting a short time-limited pause along the lines of plako's suggestion might be wise.

(April 22nd, 2014, 05:22)plako Wrote: Concerning pauses, I suggest procedures like this:

Pause requested - Shorter than 24h should always be ok. More than 24h case-by-case analysis needed.

Not requested - Pause could be done by other players when there is less than 30 mins in the clock and resumed when ~12h after the pause has passed. Pause is not automatic, if no one is around and capable then the turn rolls and there won't be reload because of missing the turn. If there would be 2nd turn without the player activity, game would be paused undetermined time until the situation is somehow sorted out.

Does that mean you want to withdraw your "Let it roll" vote? Does anyone else look at this in the cold light of day and think "maybe that's a little too harsh"?

"Let it roll" was not the only rule I voted for. We voted in the poll for what rules we would personally be OK with. (At least I did.) We now need a rule based on what the player base as a whole is OK with. Quite a few are not OK with the draconian rule (you only have yourself to thank if the turn rolls), and quite a few are not OK with the Chamberlain rule (let's all be friends and pause for each other).

So should we compromise and choose something that everybody is a little unhappy with, or should we select a rule that the majority is happy with and the minority is very unhappy with? That is not a rhetorical question.
I have to run.

Generally I think the former is better if you don't want to piss people off to quit the game.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Ah, I was hoping people would take the whole meta into account when voting (although it would have been hard for the early voters to do that). If anyone looks at it now and thinks they'd rather opt for the pause or lurker plays instead of their "Let it roll" vote then I'll change the results.

If we have enough reasonable people then we can change the outcome, but I'd want to hear arguments from the people who didn't vote "Let it roll" before I'll change my vote.

Shall we give it another 24 hours for discussion?

Krill - which one is the former?

I just realised we needed a "Never! Defy resolution" option on the letting it roll topic. Do any of the 9 who didn't vote "let it roll" feel strongly enough on the subject for a "Never! Defy resolution"?

novice Wrote:So should we compromise and choose something that everybody is a little unhappy with, or should we select a rule that the majority is happy with and the minority is very unhappy with? That is not a rhetorical question.

The bolded bit. I'm trying to stay out of the discussion as I'm a ded lurker, but I think it's reasonable to state that I'd go with a compromise solution that everyone can agree to as the game has already started.

I'd also like to use this post to thank Commodore for stepping in and playing hte turn for the lurker civ and about half of the other teams that have had temporary absences hatsoff
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(April 25th, 2014, 07:59)novice Wrote: Pause not requested - Pause with 1h left on clock indefinitely - 3 votes
Azza, Mardoc, WilliamLP

Just to justify what seems to be a minority opinion, I don't think a turn should ever roll without a player playing. It's not ok to hold up the game for 32 others without explanation, and it's a sign that a sub may be needed if someone does it more than once. But just letting their Civ roll stagnantly through a turn kind of breaks the integrity of the actual game for all affected.

Every other PB game here is played like this, and the turn pace so far has been just fine and it hasn't led me to believe that this game adds a straw that breaks the camel's back and needs a different set of rules vs PB13, say.

I'm with you in that opinion. There's nothing that would kill my interest faster than having a turn be lost because something unforeseen caused me to not be able to play or post. But the responsibility really comes on everybody to let people know if they came play on time, otherwise when a real valid reason for not posting comes up we will just assume they forgot, not that we should pause. And that seems to be what's causing this poll in the first place
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

My thoughts around voting to let it roll are that I think we are getting a pause every turn. Right now, that's not a big deal, since no one is at war and turns take 30 seconds to play and a couple of minutes to report (or not report, depending on how good your reporting is)

My guess is that a shifting time window will cause problems during war, especially as turns take longer.

That said, my opinion is the way it is not because of personal preference, but because I think it will make the game smoother. The point about people getting frustrated because they missed a turn is a good one, and the point that we do it that way for every other game here is another good one. Sportsmanship is paramount to RB games, so the spirit of RB seems to indicate that we allow a pause. So, I'll change my vote...
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

Ideally I would want to pause when someone misses a turn for a good reason, and let it roll when they just forget or don't care enough. But there is no way to tell. We need to make a decision one way or another, so that everyone will at least be treated the same way.