As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Game is back up smile

However, I must warn you guys that the server is struggling with this game. It took nearly 5 minutes to load the game, and the process is still showing "Not Responding" every 15-20 seconds in Task Manager. This is on a new Haswell Quad-Core i5 3GHz CPU with 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, so it doesn't exactly bode well this early in the game.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Those of you prone to putting down a million signposts... nono

smile

Cal, I think your server is just waiting for a good workout and we're happy to provide one. You seem to be serious

I think we should all give the server a break and not explore. Kill your near neighbors and THEN look for new people...
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

This does raise a question, what is going to happen when we start making map trades with everyone?

(May 8th, 2014, 12:19)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: This does raise a question, what is going to happen when we start making map trades with everyone?

I've been under the impression that map trading is completely disabled for this game?

It is.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Ah good. I had forgotten that from the setup phase. crazyeye

Guys, I made a mistake and clicked on the lurker thread from this game. I read a post before realizing what I've done. But I want to keep on playing, especially because I need to cover for darrell.

I'll explain the post I've read in spoilers below, so lurkers could give input about if I can keep playing or not.

It was a post by Commodore near in the last page, I think. It said that WilliamLP was right in his thought about dominating the narrow sea. The problem is that WLP is our neighbour and I kind of became aware of one of his plans... frown

We have a serious issue with the game as is right now. The game frequently keeps going into a "Not Responding" state, as I wrote earlier, and it is impacting the general performance of the server, hogging up to 100% of one CPU Core. Since this is not an issue with any other of the Putbosses I am running, I feel pretty sure that this is related to the DLL modification made to the game to allow the number of players.

If someone else has the opportunity and insight as to find out what the problem is, please let me know, and I will forward the last savegame I've got and the admin password (understand that this needs a certain amount of trust, obviously - but that is the core of the RB spirit anyways, right?).

For now I am afraid I have to take the game down, as the problem is impacting the server so bad that I am unable to work with a webpage I need to finish up. Either send me a PM, or contact me on Google Hangouts (caledorn [at] gmail {dot} com) if you are able to help. I will be around for a few hours before going to sleep.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Oh sad. I really hope we can find someone that can take on the hosting of it. And before we start losing people from it being offline too long.
Also sad that I'll have to actually learn two server names, rather than just changing the last digit of the port when flipping between PB18 & PB20.