For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoiler] Any volunteers for a human sacrifice? Brennus of the Aztecs, by Krill

Hmm, I didn't notice the hammer. What about 2,3 if you are determined to look for a wet food.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

I'd lose the plains cow. That is a 6 yield that I want to be working all of the time. Generally, with plains cows, you want to just sit and the happy cap and churn out settlers and workers without slavery, which for me is not that bad as it means I don't have to build a granary. I also have the billion forests to chop so I shouldn't have that big a problem coming up with the hammers for the first few settlers and workers.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I feel so left out that everyone else is doing MM and I'm stuck thinking "which forest do I chop first?"
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

You know, I'm getting a sinking feeling after looking at some more B&S starts that I'm probably screwed frown

You haven't even played a turn yet. lol Come on, I'll be rooting for you. Good luck!

Krill Wrote:You know, I'm getting a sinking feeling after looking at some more B&S starts that I'm probably screwed frown

Yeah, you're probably screwed. This whole situation reminds me of those old cow economics quips:

Civilization Economics
You have 1 Cow.
You build some pastures around it to feed your people.
The population grows uncontrollably.
You enslave everybody and work half of them to death.
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

DMOC Wrote:You haven't even played a turn yet. lol Come on, I'll be rooting for you. Good luck!

Thing is, coastal food counts as half a sea food, so the coastal starts can usually get double clams or double crabs as the worst starting food. Someone is going to luck out and get a double land food as well as a plains hill start.

I will not be able to keep up with these starts, so I really have to hope that the slavery nerf stops them from running away with the game.

As I see it, I'm looking at a 15 turn starting worker, starting on t1, finish eot t15, followed by 1 turn farm, followed by 4 turn pasture, followed by 6 turns farming. Grow to size 2 working an fp on turns 16 through 19, pasture finishes t20 for growth to size 2 on eot t23, making 16 hammers for a warrior, then worker at size 2. Tech path is most likely going to be Mining>BW, even if that leaves the worker doing nothing for a few turns, and in fact means I wouldn't even farm o nthe way to the pasture as I said before, because the farms just aren't going to be great. I'm probably going to have severe growth problems, will have limited warriors for scouting...and we have barbs on, so in fact this might not even be viable. But it illustrates how the quickest start I have available here just won't compare to some of the other players.

On which note, I'm seriously considering wandering with the settler for a few turns, which is why I asked for the slight timer extension for T1.

Hey, Seven, what difficulty are we playing on? Monarch, or Prince?

Actually, just checked the costs on Monarch, if I go Mining>BW, and settle on t0, I should get Mining eot t8 with 9 base beakers overflow, and finish BW around t22. Could be worse.

Agriculture, though, would add 8-9 turns onto the research time for BW, which is basically enough time to get a single fp farm down. That just doesn't seem worth it. Chopping is the answer, it seems, if I stick around this neighbourhood. In fact, I might even just start using a shit load of 1 pop whips and stack the unhappiness.

Regarding your start Krill, don't worry, I'm not cruel.

But fate can be cruel. smile