As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

I think the fact that people want to play random maps with it is evidence of its success in increasing balancing between leaders & civs. I'd definitely be interested in a game where people draft or do a blind pick, but rbmod has been able to sate the communiy's random fix for the short term. I bet it gets used in other avenues as well
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(March 15th, 2013, 20:36)pindicator Wrote: I think the fact that people want to play random maps with it is evidence of its success in increasing balancing between leaders & civs. I'd definitely be interested in a game where people draft or do a blind pick, but rbmod has been able to sate the communiy's random fix for the short term. I bet it gets used in other avenues as well

when I have more time (hopefully before pb8 ends) I'd like to start an rbmod pbem with a 4321 4321 draft. balanced or handcrafted map smile. I think that would be fun.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

OK, so a continuation of the trait balancing discussion. What I'm about to discuss is not something I intend to implement, but I appreciate other peoples opinions on it. I mentioned a few days ago that EXP, if it were considered weak, could be improved by gaining cheap aqueducts. CRE is also lacking later on as well, and there has been an idea to give them cheap observatories.

So, if those two changes were to happen, how would players compare EXP and CRE to other traits considered strong in popular opinion like SPI and PRO, but also the unchanged traits of IND and PHI that have variable usefulness?

Below are the effects of the traits:

CRE: +2 cpt per city, +100% production of Theatre, Colosseum, Observatory.

EXP: +35% production of workers and work boats, +100% production of Grocer, Aqueducts and Harbour.

IMP: +100% GG production, +60% settler production, +100% production of Customhouses.

CHM: +2 happiness per city, +1 happiness per Broadcast tower, -25% XP per promotion.

PHI: +100% GP birth rate, +100% production of University.

IND: +50% wonder production. +100% production of Forge.

FIN: +1 commerce on tiles that produce 2 commerce and are not riverside, +100% production of Bank.

SPI: No anarchy, +100% production of Temple.

ORG: -50% civic upkeep, +100% production of Lighthouse, Court house, Factory and Library.

AGG: Free C1 promotion on melee and gunpowder units, +100% production of Barracks, Drydock

PRO: Free CG1 promotion on archery and gunpowder units, +100% production of Granary and Walls.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Did you forget to add aqueducts to the cheap expansive list, or was that done on purpose?
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I'm dumb sometimes. Edited the previous post...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

My opinions of these traits (in the context of other RBmod changes, of course). Numbers should be taken as relative value, and as approximations:

CRE: +2 cpt per city, +100% production of Theatre, Colosseum, Observatory.

EXP: +35% production of workers and work boats, +100% production of Grocer, Aqueducts and Harbour.

IMP: +100% GG production, +60% settler production, +100% production of Customhouses.

CHM: +2 happiness per city, +1 happiness per Broadcast tower, -25% XP per promotion.

PHI: +100% GP birth rate, +100% production of University.

IND: +50% wonder production. +100% production of Forge.

FIN: +1 commerce on tiles that produce 2 commerce and are not riverside, +100% production of Bank.

SPI: No anarchy, +100% production of Temple.

ORG: -50% civic upkeep, +100% production of Lighthouse, Court house, Factory and Library.

AGG: Free C1 promotion on melee and gunpowder units, +100% production of Barracks, Drydock

PRO: Free CG1 promotion on archery and gunpowder units, +100% production of Granary and Walls.

Are there coastal tiles? Permanent Colossus still comes in first, IMO. Going by the gut of "most like to have":
Fin
Org
Spi
Pro
Phi
Cre
Chm
Imp
Ind
Exp
Agg

Exp up one, Cre up one(ish, the Phi/Cre/Chm/Imp/Ind cluster is almost equal to me)
But all much closer than base, still.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Do we want every trait to have an early and later benefit?
If so then give CRE and EXP those suggested additions and IND may need some kind of late-game boost. If not and we instead rely on the player to mix and match based on what part of the game then we should add the missing combinations of traits as new leaders
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(March 19th, 2013, 14:25)Commodore Wrote: Are there coastal tiles? Permanent Colossus still comes in first, IMO. Going by the gut of "most like to have":
Fin
Org
Spi
Pro
Phi
Cre
Chm
Imp
Ind
Exp
Agg

Exp up one, Cre up one(ish, the Phi/Cre/Chm/Imp/Ind cluster is almost equal to me)
But all much closer than base, still.

you're crazy. You just destroyed a FIN civ in pb8 with PRO, not sure why you would rank Fin so high. The only think right about your list is putting Agg at the bottom (and its still far at the bottom, despite barracks giving culture. don't know how to fix that).

(March 19th, 2013, 14:32)pindicator Wrote: Do we want every trait to have an early and later benefit?
If so then give CRE and EXP those suggested additions and IND may need some kind of late-game boost. If not and we instead rely on the player to mix and match based on what part of the game then we should add the missing combinations of traits as new leaders

IND is fine. its still very good - its just still dependent on how many other IND civs there are (but that can be said of some other traits too, so what). agg is the only one that really needs a boost.

my rank:
SPI
ORG
PRO

everything else roughly equal-
IND
EXP
IMP
CHA
PHI
FIN
CRE

and obviously Agg much worse than the group. I'm not a fan of CRE even in BTS, though, so taking away the library killed it for me - take that for whats its worth.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Bigger, there's more to it than just that he was able to take a FIN civ's cties. That said, FIN as #1 just tells me Commodore hasn't had to play as FIN yet. I'd rank SPI and ORG at the top - haven't got enough look at PRO to tell if it belongs up there as well. But i do think the rest are close enough to need no major changes, except AGG.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player