As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

No easy way to ask this...are you trolling?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I'm going to go with "yes".
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I'm not trolling. Seriously, Aggressive barracks get +100% production bonus, how about +500% instead? It could be an economic boost. Is it is not possible to give promotions and all the good buildings are taken, this could help Aggressive. With +500% bonus it would take 10 hammers to build barracks.

Well, I was thinking "yes" too, but on the chance he's being sincere...

I don't think cheap barracks are the problem. Agg getting barracks at half cost is already a good bonus. It's that just having cheap barracks isn't enough to stack up with the benefits other traits get. Giving bonus to building other types of buildings is another way to go, which is why castles, airports, and stables were thrown out as ideas.

What I see the big problem with AGG is it is now the only trait that doesn't give some bonus to economic side of things. PRO now has granaries for growth. So I would like to see some kind of economic benefit tied to AGG, which is why I mentioned giving a unit cost reduction from the finances. Like how ORG gets -50% to civic costs, maybe AGG gets -50% to unit costs & supply costs. That would make it cost less for an AGG player to have a standing army and to send it out to be aggressive with. It's also why I initially liked the idea of giving AGG cheap castles & airports - two buildings with Trade Routes would at least give some benefit besides military.

Another idea was to give increased gold on pillaging/blockades, but that is a bigger change in theme, so I'm less excited about that.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Well, with 10 hammer barracks you get the granary or any other building cheaper. Isn't this economic, early economic? Airports are a late building, castles get obsolete, stables are a pure war building. Barracks are a somewhat peacetime building with free culture. So if it is not possible to make Aggressive get an early economic boost by giving other buildings, it is possible to make barracks even more cheaperer. smile

The problem with AGG is that even if every city came with free barracks, it would not have the economic output to be better than the other traits. It still has to build full price granaries, workers, settlers, and doesn't have the extra commerce of FIN, saved, extra GPP of PHI or cheaper wonders.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Actually, I think free barracks in every city (and the other benefits of AGG) would be in the same league as CRE.

Eh, still be weaker, but I know what you are saying.

it would still be the weakest trait, even w/ instant free barracks from turn 0 of the city.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I'd take it over expansive.