As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Gavagai, Bacchus and Elizabeth Form a Romantic Trio

Them taking over the region eventually is not such a tragedy, I now think. They don't have that much land, and it's not particularly good land. I think they would have to settle floods just to keep in the game. But I'm really aching to know what's on that peninsula that we got chased away from by lions. If there is a space even for one good city, we would have a decent advantage over Egypt both in land and in traits.

Your expedition, if successful, will leave us hopelessly overextended and vulnerable to Kurumi, who seems to be very keen on conducting war.

We have some turns to go yet, let's scout out more lands and see where we stand long-term.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Croyden was founded, Londra has started the Oracle:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0210.JPG]

They haven't even started to improve gold. What's wrong with them?

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0211.JPG]

Their third city is 1W from Copper. Unscouted tile 2N from Copper is unforested and very well can contain Horse. I would consider sacrificing a warrior to scout it but it can't even be easily scouted.
...I wish I had scan.

I decided to give an attack against Egypt a go. We can attack their future floodplain city on T78 with 12 metal units and 2 chariots OR with 6 chariots and 10 metal units. This is starting from 4 metal units overall on T72. I don't believe that they will be able to beef up their defenses enough to withstand this attack - even given that their city will be on a hill and have 20% culture bonus. With some luck and if they lack horses we will be even able to take their Copper city.
Definitely worth it I would say. Yes, we will have some economic problems as e result but they can be solved with cottages. And the prize - crippled Egypt which can be finished off fast - definitely worth it.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0212.JPG]

This Gandhi guy is annoying. NOW he is moving to harass our corn.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0213.JPG]

More intelligence on Egypt.

Well, we'll have to see what they have built themselves by T72, which is still a while away. I suppose your plan commits us to not interfering in the floods at all until the attack, to keep spirits calm. I'm not sure whether they'll buy into the peace story, but we can always hope. Chariot/axe mix is horrible for attacking, though. You need two chariots per spear, and he will probably manage to conjure up 2. I'd bring 2 chariots along for pillaging, but that's it.

Don't worry about Gandhi, he should see that copper is hooked, so I doubt he'll venture into our borders.

Outback can go 1W safely, I think.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0214.JPG]

What these workers are doing is freaking surreal.

[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0215.JPG]

And this makes me reconsider attacking once again. Let's assume he will settle his fourth city on a big red blob - which is a perfectly logical choice. Small red dots are tiles which he will be able to see after hos borders pop. And how I'm supposed to attack THIS - given that he will have a city on a hill with 20% defensive bonus? Yes, I still can two-move it with chariots from the fog. The problem is that fully fortified axes will have so high defensive bonus that it will give them odds against chariots. And even one spear will be enough to obliterate chariots-only stack. I will need axes which would give a very early (3 turns) warning.
My alternative plan is to go strait for the copper city which isn't on a hill at least but it will be so long distance to go with Egypt having a full visibility...

(July 10th, 2013, 08:19)Bacchus Wrote: Chariot/axe mix is horrible for attacking, though. You need two chariots per spear, and he will probably manage to conjure up 2. I'd bring 2 chariots along for pillaging, but that's it.

Chariot/axe mix means that they will need a spear per every one of his stacks. And this, actually, puts a hard limit on a number of stacks they can have and greatly limits their tactical options. For example, they, most likely, won't be able to cover any of the hills around floodplain city which would allow us to cut his main army from his territory and go straight for his copper - or even for his core.

Copper city has insane visibility from the peak in its borders and surely he will have _a_ sentry somewhere in the flood hills. That's why I was initially sceptical of the big knock-out attack plan -- it just relies far too much on surprise.

Yes, chariot/axe stacks would decrease his mobility, but this is an advantage that only really bears fruit in a fairly protracted war, which we really shouldn't be waging.

I still stick by my original suggestion -- let's just make the floods too much of a bother for him to settle, let's make him realise that he will need multiple spears AND axes simply to improve this area and release its potential.

New turn and important news:
1. We got a free spread in Croyden (good).
2. Someone has taken Hinduism (bad).

Alternative ideas regarding dealing with Egypt.
1. Take Code of Laws from the Oracle and bomb his floods city with culture.
2. Two-move his copper city with HAs:

[Image: Civ4ScreenShotHAs.jpg]

Important note: his cow/corn city should get a third ring soon after T80 and will be able to take copper.