As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 13 Settings Discussion

Who is the admin? If we don't already have an admin, and people trust me to act fairly (no offense taken if anyone doesn't), I can admin.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I was assuming Brick, I just wrote it more generally.

(July 18th, 2013, 19:46)Krill Wrote: Considering I'm not even playing in this game does my opinion count for anything?

I think it does
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

2.0.3.4 is a bug fix: it has 3 changes, 2 of which should have zero impact but still ought to have been done 3 years ago, the third implements what should have been implemented in 2.0.3.3.

It's the better choice.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(July 18th, 2013, 20:20)Krill Wrote: 2.0.3.4 is a bug fix: it has 3 changes, 2 of which should have zero impact but still ought to have been done 3 years ago, the third implements what should have been implemented in 2.0.3.3.

It's the better choice.
Link please.
Global lurker smile ; played in Civ VI PBEM 4, 5, 15; DL suboptimal Civ VI PBEM 17

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthrea...#pid395528
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Yeah I was assuming I'd take the responsibility of the Game Admin duties regarding concession and whatnot.

(July 18th, 2013, 19:54)SevenSpirits Wrote: Suggested concession rules:

Players should at all times keep The Admin informed of their position with regard to ending the game, chosen from these three:

1) I want to play on
2) I have no strong opinion on continuing the game
3) I want the game to end

The Admin tracks this (and at the beginning of the game, can safely assume that all players' initial disposition is to play on). As long as at least as many people want to play on as want the game to end, nothing happens. If more people want the game to end than want to play on, The Admin should determine, by observation of the game state and by consultation with lurkers and players, who is the deserved "winner" (or if the game is truly too close to call, and should be recorded as a draw).

Players are informed of the verdict,* and all players who voted for the game to end retire to AI.** Also, anyone else who wishes to do so may retire to AI. If any players still wish to continue playing, they may do so. The declared winner of the game may accept their win regardless of whether they, or anyone else, wishes to continue playing - it is valid regardless. The declared winner may also decline the win in all cases. In that case, the continued play of the game determines the winner.***

* If people are unhappy with The Admin's verdict, they should feel free to argue their case, but accept it, and keep in mind that it doesn't matter for anything.

** Players who retire to AI must first cancel all deals and declare war on all other players first. If they have a peace treaty with another player, that player must declare war on the AI as soon as possible. Players may not take peace with AIs, though AIs might take peace with each other.

Players not participating in the game may at any point volunteer to take over for AI players. With unanimous approval of players, they may be admitted into the game as a player, as if they were subbing in for a normal player; in this case, they count as a player and follow normal rules. Alternately, with majority approval of players, they may be admitted into the game as an "AI turnplayer." In this case, they don't count as a player: their vote doesn't count for anything, they must remain at war with all players as much as possible, and they may also retire to AI again at any point.

*** The continued game might also end via concession. The same rules apply - players in the continued game should keep The Admin informed of their attitude toward ending the game.

this is terribly complicated, and I don't really like it at all. I like the first paragraph, with letting the admin know if you want to play on, have no opinion, or want to concede to a specific player. all that needs to be added is:

1) if a player that wants play on is pursuing a reasonable victory condition (as judged by admin, possibly consulting lurkers if he wishes, but not other players in game), then the game continues
2) if someone is just being stubborn who clearly has no reasonable chance of pursuing any victory condition, and other players that might have a chance want to concede, then the admin calls the game

if there are over a threshhold of players (say, 80%) that want to quit, there may be no other choice but your "declare war on the world and retire to ai" option, but I don't see how its fair to declare a proxy winner if the game continues. make any players still pursuing victory continue, or concede.

and frankly, there are 18 teams alive now, by the time we get to that point it is very unlikely there will be more than 9-10. try and find a sub (spoiled lurkers are usually ok at this point), and if you just can't, turn over the irrelevant empire to the ai, or keep playing on.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

to elaborate further: putting CV aside, this creates a situation where there could be too clear leaders, one edging out the other by 10 points or so, neck and neck. the remaining players, who know they can't win, concede to the top guy, the 2nd place player who could very easily win can't do anything about it if the top guy takes the victory and bails.

I also think a simple majority isn't good at all, too many situations where the game could be forced to end by democracy long before a winner is really decided.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

(July 18th, 2013, 20:07)SevenSpirits Wrote: I was assuming Brick, I just wrote it more generally.

Okay, cool.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.