As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[TECH] IT and Tech issues thread

And of course as soon as I hit post I think of something else. Along the lines of the first suggestion and much less cumbersome, you could have a simple script you use to launch the connection depending on which server you want to connect to. Two scripts, one Sunrise.bat, the other Caledorn.bat, all the script would do would copy the correct version of the CivIV.ini file to where it needs to go to prepopulate the server IP of choice for direct connect. The script would copy the file and then call BeyondTheSword.exe (or whatever it's called), that seems simpler and more liable to work anyway. I'm at work now so I can't do it but this would be like a two line deal, like 5 minutes or less.

This would work for the Steam version, too, since you're only using the one regularly installed copy of the game and switching out the .ini file as needed.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

That .bat file idea is brilliant! Thanks for reminding me of that possibility smile
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

You can also specify which .ini file to use as a startup parameter (along with which mod to load). So I have this setup:

The full text in the shortcut target is
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\2k Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="mods\RB Mod 2.0.3.4" ini=C:\civ4ini\pb15.ini

I had problems making the shortcut work with the ini parameter value in quotes, so I moved the .ini file to a directory that didn't require quotes. (A directory with no spaces in it).
I have to run.

Well that's easier for sure. Just have two different desktop shortcuts and skip the batch files. Thanks Novice.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

If someone could actually post the basic .bat files here that would be fantastic as well.

I've PMed mackoti asking if he can replay my turn for me to not hold the game up, with exact instructions on what to do. I'm still at uni for a few more hours.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Turn rolled.

Caledorn, if you could drop the turn timer back down to 23 hours, that'd be great. And thanks for catching those problems quickly, and hosting this game for us smile
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(August 30th, 2013, 12:34)Krill Wrote: Turn rolled.

Caledorn, if you could drop the turn timer back down to 23 hours, that'd be great. And thanks for catching those problems quickly, and hosting this game for us smile

Of course, and my pleasure to host really - even with me forgetting the turn timer and having to restart the game. smile
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

novice, thanks for the tip. I tried it and it seemed to work, RB-Mod was loaded (according to the tag on the upper right corner and the civilopedia entries) and also caledorns host-address was there. But when I try to log in to the game I'm told that the savegame needs rb-mod 2.0.3.4 to be loaded. Any idea why that happens?

If it helps: I have the steam-installation.

edit: Oh, and also it doesn't load the mod if I put it down like you showed. It gives me an error message that he can't find "mods/ods/RB Mod 2.0.3.4". If I just change it to M/RB Mod 2.0.3.4 it loads the mod but the above error happens.

edit2: Ok, found the error. I had to delete the mods and just write "\RB Mod 2.0.3.4"

(August 30th, 2013, 16:26)Serdoa Wrote: novice, thanks for the tip. I tried it and it seemed to work, RB-Mod was loaded (according to the tag on the upper right corner and the civilopedia entries) and also caledorns host-address was there. But when I try to log in to the game I'm told that the savegame needs rb-mod 2.0.3.4 to be loaded. Any idea why that happens?

If it helps: I have the steam-installation.

edit: Oh, and also it doesn't load the mod if I put it down like you showed. It gives me an error message that he can't find "mods/ods/RB Mod 2.0.3.4". If I just change it to M/RB Mod 2.0.3.4 it loads the mod but the above error happens.

edit2: Ok, found the error. I had to delete the mods and just write "\RB Mod 2.0.3.4"

Weird. I have the Civ4Complete installation so there might be subtle differences I guess.

If an admin reads this thread, could you do us a favor and sticky it?
I have to run.

*waves at Thoth* We see you there, reading but not playing! wink

In other news, it wasn't mentioned, so I assume barbs are on?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.