As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: What should we do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Defend against paratrooper invasion because we're too stalwart to die!
48.15%
13 48.15%
Die a horrible, senseless death, then hear Krill gloat about it!
51.85%
14 51.85%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pitboss 18 Lurker Thread of Infinite Wisdom

(March 5th, 2014, 00:57)Ceiliazul Wrote: Wowsers, someone is going to win the re-roll lottery with Ragnar.

Also, all those ORG leaders still available? Yeah, I'd reroll a lot of these too. Not Ragnar tho. Not in any version of any mod ever played on this site!

Seriously. I didn't clarify my statement after Commodore gave that smilie because I didn't want to intervene too much, but man, Qg, that's the first straight up smoke of the game.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

Well, if this game is played with an unprecedented known tech bonus, then maybe economic traits will be slightly less important than usual. Of course, Agg still has military applications, too. And musketeers are very nice... so I have to agree with your overall assessment either way.
If you know what I mean.

(March 4th, 2014, 12:44)Twinkletoes89 Wrote: Could you link us to the mod please?

Well the last time I fired up Civ 4 is a long time ago, but a quick google search revealed this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234779

I didn't do anything other than google it the last time around as well, so it should probably work out. I haven't tested it though.
Really my only Civ 4 experience for quite some time has been lurking the games here! yup

I guess we're checking in? So...checking in wink

This game is weird. It's awesome (sort of) that it's so big and should be awesome to read since Sullla is an official reporter. On the other hand the setup is being changed and negotiated after the civs are rolled.... smoke Worst of all though...

(March 5th, 2014, 00:35)Gazglum Wrote: Are there actually 34 civs in this game? I thought it was a bit less.

There are only sort of 34. Sullla is playing a civ as a nigh-omniscient observer, but for whatever reason the organizers acted like that locked the civ out of the game. I actually considered choking down my (probably silly) dislike of the mod and playing, but changed my mind when I saw it wasn't REALLY a game with all 34 civs in play.

(March 5th, 2014, 13:34)scooter Wrote: Overall, this is probably one of the best 5-6 rolls out of the 33, so that's pretty solid. My favorite out of all the ones I saw was probably Ragnar/France, which weirdly enough Q re-rolled (??).

When the history of this game is written, its clear what the first chapter is going to be about. Hopefully Q will end up conquering all his neighbours by turn 50, then we'll be laughing on the other side of our faces.

Odds that Barry's a sock puppet? Middling?
(March 12th, 2024, 07:40)naufragar Wrote:"But naufragar, I want to be an emperor, not a product manager." Soon, my bloodthirsty friend, soon.

(March 6th, 2014, 19:36)thestick Wrote: Odds that Barry's a sock puppet? Middling?
98.3% Although please can we call them smurfs?

I love WilliamLP's unbelievably defensive-minded "who I'd like to neighbor" post.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(March 6th, 2014, 21:42)Commodore Wrote: I love WilliamLP's unbelievably defensive-minded "who I'd like to neighbor" post.

Seconded. But Novill is not the bottom of his list of preferred bunkmates? madness!

Hello, ya'll. I'm back, with a new motherboard, after I accidentally fried my old one. Yay!

Anyway, yeah, this should be fun to lurk.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Changing the rules mid picks to allow trading was a dumb idea. Allowing people to negotiate the trades in a no diplo game was an even dumber idea. You could have done blind trading, people would offer up their combo to a mediator and then say which combos they would be willing to trade for, and if the other person offered the same trade in reverse then it would go through.