As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Just checked, the game is up and I can connect just fine.
I have to run.

Also, I agree with Whosit - if this is going to require a client-side DLL update too, I'd rather we did not go ahead. It will inevitably cause a delay as the people who don't religiously read the tech thread don't know to update.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

(March 23rd, 2014, 17:19)Dhalphir Wrote: I didn't know anyone ran resolutions lower than that these days.

Laptops. 1280 x 800 is still common for smaller ones. Not that I play Civ on it but many folks do.

Someone's gotta make a decision on updating the mod pieces. I think the scoreboard alteration really is necessary or else your screen resolution becomes a real in-game advantage. And while everyone needs to update for that, may as well put in the other improvements as well. Yes, novice, this is a hackathon. smile

FWIW, I'm going to take this opportunity to say that if everyone hadn't jumped at getting this game started now, but would have waited until PB13 finished and we could actually put stuff in place such as a proper observer mode...nah, it'd still be a hackathon.

T-hawk is right in that the change for the scoreboard is absolutely necessary. If everything else can be given a simple plan of 1 single replacement with a completed step by step guide, we can grab everyones attention using the email address given for the turn update once this is necessary.

That said, obviously no gameplay changes other than those necessary to fix game breaking bugs IMO, but as Commodore is game mod, I think we should get his opinion on this?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

My suggestion is that we select a specific point in time when all the possible/upcoming changes will be implemented at once. I don't think there is a huge rush to update anything immediately so brainstorming can still continue though. When everything is ready, then let's just state well in advance that everyone needs to update their mod folders e.g. after T20/before T21 (or whenever).
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I've tested the demo screen in SP mode. Should we start another mod game (same map, same people, shorter clock) and test the changes?

Also - while we are hacking python, should we update the F8 rivals remaining and take out the lurker?
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

(March 23rd, 2014, 17:19)Dhalphir Wrote:
(March 23rd, 2014, 09:44)Whosit Wrote: So, what screen resolution is recommended to be able to view everything?

I seem to be able to see everything at 1920x1080 fairly easily.

I didn't know anyone ran resolutions lower than that these days.

On my machine, the best I can do is 1280x1024. Old crappy WinXP Dell machine. I'm lucky I can even run the game. My wife bought me Civ V this past Xmas and I can't even run it on this machine because it doesn't have enough RAM. So I can't play that game until I one of these decades get a new computer.

Though I'm half tempted to try installing the game on her Windows Vista machine (which has enough RAM) that is the media computer hooked up to our bigscreen tv. And see if I can play on there sometimes.

(March 22nd, 2014, 07:14)Caledorn Wrote: Email notification fixed, I think tongue

Just wanted to confirm. Had I gotten added to the emailer? I had emailed Novice with my email address when it was first posted about, but I never got confirmation that I was added to the list.

(March 23rd, 2014, 08:56)Caledorn Wrote: I will put up a new version of the portal that I got from Novice now - we're now at version 9. smile

I noticed you added a dropdown box so it only displays your own timezone of your choosing. Any chance a version in the future will push that timezone choice for the times down into the event log so it converts those times to the timezone choice?

(March 23rd, 2014, 18:50)HitAnyKey Wrote:
(March 23rd, 2014, 08:56)Caledorn Wrote: I will put up a new version of the portal that I got from Novice now - we're now at version 9. smile

I noticed you added a dropdown box so it only displays your own timezone of your choosing. Any chance a version in the future will push that timezone choice for the times down into the event log so it converts those times to the timezone choice?

Good idea. That can happen. smile
I have to run.