As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

I own both versions, for the record. (Bought Steam a few years ago to play on a Mac and it came with Mac and PC version)

Yeah, I was pretty much kidding about the morals thing. I bought Vanilla the week it came out in the old big bulky box format, and bought the CD versions of Warlords and BtS at full price, and also own the Steam version. Blatantly breaking something that has been working for 10 years is pretty low and I certainly don't feel back about finding a way to backup to a version I used to run anyway.

hey - I logged in to play and ended turn and don't seem to be able to pause the game after I ended. Do we need to repause the game while we figure this out?
Completed:  PBEM 34g (W), 36 , 35 , 5o, 34s, 5p, 42, 48 and PB 9, 18, 27, 57

Current:  PB 52.  Boudicca of Maya

(June 5th, 2014, 18:56)Hashoosh Wrote: Except that (and playing devils advocate here) the EULA usually includes provisions that you don't legally own the game, you've leased the IP from whoever holds the copyright.

I don't think its wise to advertise complicity in pirating on a public forum, only because of the fuckery the RIAA or whoever else might be pull on the owners of the site/you.

Welcome to the EU were such licenses where the RIAA can go fuck itself.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Repaused, only Dhalphir left to play, 5:35:14 left on the clock. If Dhalphir plays the turn (after acquiring a none steam version of the game, he has already stated he has the Steam version of the game...) and the turn rolls, we should just carry on playing but leave the turn paused at about 12 hours left IMO until we're totally stuck. Then take a save and see what happens.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Hi there guys, Steam user here. I'm currently connected to the game, seems to be working fine. I got a warning that my game files didn't match the hosts, but that doesn't seem to be causing a problem yet. Do we know whether Caledorn is running the Steam version or has a disc based installation?

Documentation forthcoming because I've tested a lot of different things, but I think simply rolling back to a previous version of the Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll did the trick. I don't know which (or both, or neither) did it yet, though. I'll probably have to let Steam autoupdate and fuck my installation back to the new patched version and fix it again from there.

But there's hope!

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

If you have a pre-patched version, then copy the Civ4 installation files (under my programs) and then run a compare after the patch. I am pretty sure it is just the Civ4BeyondSword.exe file as we have already modded the CvGameCoreDLL.dll file (that is the custom DLL that this mod requires and they can't patch that!).
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

(June 5th, 2014, 21:47)Ruff_Hi Wrote: If you have a pre-patched version, then copy the Civ4 installation files (under my programs) and then run a compare after the patch. I am pretty sure it is just the Civ4BeyondSword.exe file as we have already modded the CvGameCoreDLL.dll file (that is the custom DLL that this mod requires and they can't patch that!).

I'm restoring the entire "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword" from a Previous Version three days old. I'll run a diff against the timestamps and see what's changed.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Oh, but any non-RB mod games may need the original (non-steam updated) CvGameCoreDLL.dll file to pass the "same files" validation check when connecting to a regular BTS pitboss server. All things being equal it would be much better for everyone to have the exact same version of all the files, for known compatibility and so we don't get warnings that people have different versions of files. That will get annoying and, of course, does open the door to other things, which notifying people of differing file versions is supposed to warn against. Best to totally avoid it if we can.

I would just like to enter into the "how many times have I purchased Civ IV" contest with two copies of each disk and then twice electronically.

The .exe work around seems like an easy/quick way to in the short term keep games going here whilst we work on a long term solution (whether that be yelling at 2k, collectively all acquiring non-steam versions, or maybe reverting select files just works long term as well)
Fear cuts deeper than swords.