As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

If there is any change used, it's only going to be the font change for hte scoreboard. Taking the risk of fucking up and breaking more things, when there has just been this huge mod full of undocumented changes, is not a smart move. I'd love to add the pause change but it's just too much risk.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

There is also a fix available, posted here for players that haven't seen it. I'll start to PM it out to the other players shortly. Would it possible, Plako, for you to post this into the OP please?

(June 6th, 2014, 01:33)GermanJojo Wrote: Ah, good news everyone, I was able to confirm spacetyranxenu's solution. By replacing my steam-installed Civ4BeyondSword.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe) and CvGameCoreDLL.dll (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets) with versions from a cd-installed, 3.19-patched version of Civ4, I was able to connect to my games. I also get the "version does not match the host's" popup but I'm able to continue logging in and play just fine.

Instructions:
1.) Turn off auto-updates for Civ4 on steam.
2.) Close steam.
3.a.) For 64-bit windows 7 users: you can download this file from my mediafire account: http://tinyurl.com/n2bjc96 then rename it to puddinpop.zip, password is puddinpop. This contains Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll.
3.b) For users of other OS/platforms, you should either find someone with a disk-installed version with the same platform as you and get them to send you these files, or else rename your steam-installed civ4 directories (don't forget about the one in My Games!) and then install civ4 + bts from disk + 3.19 patch.
4.) Replace Civ4BeyondSword.exe and CvGameCoreDLL.dll
5.) Load the game/mod like you normally would.

You should replace these files by renaming them, so you can simply rename them again if you want to play a game on the new steamworks server.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I agree with Krill.

Also, the demographics and score change things are bugs (EDIT: Well the demographics thing isn't even a bug), but they affect gameplay and as such could be considered features for this game. Changing how they work midway through the game is a bit iffy.

So let's all get an updated python script for the score board font size and leave it at that?
I have to run.

I can see the reason for not changing the ranking formula ... but I would like to take the lurker civ stats out of the demos. Can we at least slot that change in?
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

Ruff the last time we tried that we broke F9. And I also don't think it's particularly fair to do it now, it is a consequence of having the lurker civ that everyone knew about (although I will go on record on thinking hte lurker civ was a stupid idea and we should have waited for the observer feature novice put together)

(June 6th, 2014, 08:38)plako Wrote: * Change the maximum number of lines logged in to the tracking. I think it is currently 4000. Something like 1000 would be better. Now loading the tracker page takes a while

This can be fixed In the pitboss portal, btw. Caledorn just needs to modify the appropriate web.config setting.
I have to run.

(June 5th, 2014, 17:40)Dhalphir Wrote: I also have the Steam version.

Any luck getting things to work?

I suggest you play as soon as you're able, and then we play through turn 64, making sure everybody is back on track by seeing that they play their turn.
I have to run.

(June 6th, 2014, 09:53)Krill Wrote: Ruff the last time we tried that we broke F9.

Bah - wasn't that the no-score mod? It was the lack of score that broke F9 .. not that we modified how F9 worked.
But I accept your point about not fixing something that isn't (too) broken.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

One-off hacks and special cases are the way to disaster in programming and maintenance. Making a new flag for a civ, to be used once, to make it special conditionals in a few new places, is exactly the thing that raises the most alarm bells in any programming project. These things seem to always have unintended consequences and come back and bite you somehow. I'm pretty sure the relevant people know this but if it's a democracy I vote not to mess with such things.

Wow, what a cluster by Steam. Xenu, I'll need you to help me out with that when I get home. 3 days or so left on this trip.

(June 6th, 2014, 09:53)Krill Wrote: Ruff the last time we tried that we broke F9. And I also don't think it's particularly fair to do it now, it is a consequence of having the lurker civ that everyone knew about (although I will go on record on thinking hte lurker civ was a stupid idea and we should have waited for the observer feature novice put together)

I'll reserve judgement on the lurker civ until I can read the lurker thread. I proposed the idea originally and there was plenty of lurker support at the time, including someone willing to write a report each turn. It is a shame if this has not happened because seeing the evolution of such a large game from a mostly omniscient viewpoint would have been pretty neat. Best laid plans, I suppose.

Adios!