As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

I think the main issue is port forwarding problems on peoples routers not being correct. I think we might need the range of ports from 2056-2065 enabled, because we use various ports for different PB games.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I agree it's a port forwarding issue, but given the amount of people who have struggled with just installing RBMod from time to time, I think asking everyone to port forward is probably going to end in tears.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Is there a guide for dummies somewhere on how to configure your router to work with pitboss? And a test to run to figure out if your router is causing problems?
I have to run.

(July 29th, 2014, 18:13)novice Wrote: Is there a guide for dummies somewhere on how to configure your router to work with pitboss? And a test to run to figure out if your router is causing problems?

I'd need a guide for dummies. I'm on a managed network (not by me) so I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do on my end.

On another topic, I logged back in to pause, just under 3h remaining and 12 still to play. I do not know how many of these waiting to play are waiting on an opponent in a timer split, but we have discussed treating war splits as occasions for the first half player to hustle it up so the second half isn't staring at the timer as it counts down. I know this isn't always possible, though.

Is there any interest in asking for a lurker to step in and play a first half turn in the event that the first half player has not played by ~4h remaining on the clock? Even allowing just 4h for the second half may be problematic in case the turn rolls at a bad time for the second half player, but I would hate to assume the second half player gets Parkinized because the first half was tardy in playing.

Just something to think about.

Guide to port forwarding "for dummies" can be found, for most routers out there, here: http://portforward.com/ - the ports mentioned by Krill is a good place to start (that would be the ports 2056-2065). Also, open both TCP and UDP ports just to be on the safe side.

Keep in mind that opening the ports in the router is not enough, but that you also have to allow incoming connections on the ports in Windows Firewall (or whatever Firewall software you're using - if you're using some security suite program like Norton Internet Security those programs replace the built in firewall software of Windows).

But I also have to add that one of the problems with NAT (which is the technical term for port forwarding) is that it doesn't always support incoming connections the way you'd expect it to. NAT was a direct response to the lack of free IPv4 addresses that occured a few years ago, and IPv6 was supposed to replace that. But even today, when there's no such thing as free IPv4 addresses left, there's a shitload of ISP's that hasn't made the transition to support IPv6, and so we're still left with having to use IPv4 and NAT. Until the day the entirety of the Internet transitions to IPv6 we will have to deal with port forwarding problems, because most households have only one IP address available to them as that is all their ISP can offer.

One of the main problems with port forwarding is that when people have routers that get the public IP, those routers are responsible for providing internal IP addresses for the computers and devices that are in use. This is done with a service called DHCP, which dynamically assigns IP addresses to the devices. When those devices are turned off for a certain period of time, it can result in the internal IP address of the device being different the next time it's turned on. If you've followed the port forwarding guide, without setting a static IP for the computer you use to play, this means you'll have to modify the port forwarding rule to adjust to the new internal IP. There is a guide on how to set a static IP here: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm - but just to make sure it's not quite that simple: setting a static IP is fine on a desktop machine. When you're dealing with a laptop that you regularly bring out of the house however, you start to run into problems, as the moment you leave the house you'd have to remove the static IP and set it back to a dynamic one to be able to access anything at all outside of your home. And then when you get home again, you'd have to reconfigure the IP back to the static one for the port forwarding rule to work. For the more advanced techies out there, this is usually solved by configuring the DHCP service of the router (or server, or whatever is responsible for handing out the IP addresses) to provide a specific network card with a specific IP address. This requires telling the router the MAC address of the network card, and what internal IP address to assign to it. Sadly, there are so many routers out there that there is no universal method I can provide on how to do this, as it really varies wildly how to configure this (some routers probably doesn't even support it, just to make sure).

I know a whole lot about how to configure stuff like this, and I would be happy to help those of you who struggle the most with this, and who are unable to figure out how to fix it, but it would require the use of software like Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) and me doing the job for you via that, so some might not feel too comfortable with it (even though you would be able to see everything I do all the time). Without Teamviewer, and me being given the opportunity to see stuff and perform the needed changes myself, it would simply take way too much time to explain what to look for and how to do it.

TL;DR: Port forwarding is a bitch. tongue
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

(July 29th, 2014, 18:13)novice Wrote: Is there a guide for dummies somewhere on how to configure your router to work with pitboss? And a test to run to figure out if your router is causing problems?

And I forgot the last question there in my little rant. Yes, you can use this tool here to check if your ports are configured correctly: http://www.canyouseeme.org - however, this does not work for me, even though my ports are open, and I'm not sure if that is because I am running it from a different computer than where the Pitbosses are running, or if it is because Pitboss doesn't provide any kind of response and thus gives a false negative.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Someone just bounced off me, but I'm out now.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

I don't know why but since the last reload I have been bouncing off EVERY player who is in the game whereas previously I did not bounce of anyone. Since I haven't changed my settings, is there a reasonable explanation for this?

I had the same problem, actually; I bounced off a couple different players trying to connect, and then a couple bounced off me while I was playing my turn.

I've noticed the same thing actually; I thought it was just me. Nobody has been able to connect when I'm in the game since a day or two ago.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21