As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

PB27 Signup Thread

We do snakepicks all the time I feel. With so many people a snakepick is very frustrating, you make 10 different plans and they all disappear because you have the 15th pick and the others picked all your ideas. And random worked for PB18, look at what TBS did with the natives (have the NA ever been picked in a snakepick ?)

(July 25th, 2015, 05:23)Fintourist Wrote: Still considering whether to join and I haven't even read the settings that currently are selected / popular. But here are still couple of points though:

1. I would not haste with leader rolls. Everyone is eager about it, but it's better to first finish settings / mod discussions. The mod used in pb18 was still being altered when the first combos came out, which was suboptimal.
2. Not being able to trade maps made the first 150 turns of pb18 a lot more interesting than it otherwise would have been. I strongly recommend the same approach here.
3. If we want a bigger game a minor marketing round e.g. at CFC or german community could be a thing.

I know the sign ups are "closed", but my view is basically this:

1. No rush, I wouldn't want to start playing PB27 turns less than a week after PB18 has finished. Right now the mod is up for bug testing. There are no more changes I want to make to the mod.
  2. I agree, for games of this size no map trading is much more interesting, OTOH I think no map trading (or perhaps more accurately poor metagaming due to limited knowledge) is also the reason several really stupid mistakes have been made. But that just makes the game more tasty, so no map trading as per PB18 is fine, regardless of barb levels.
  3. Do we want a bigger game? I'd prefer that we ensure we have a lurker play team before we advertise, but I don't mind that. Map design can take a while behind the scenes but depending on set up it may not be an issue with increasing or decreasing the map size and number of continents etc if a few more people are added.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Can help with the lurker team if necessary.

(July 25th, 2015, 15:24)Krill Wrote: [*] I agree, for games of this size no map trading is much more interesting, OTOH I think no map trading (or perhaps more accurately poor metagaming due to limited knowledge) is also the reason several really stupid mistakes have been made. But that just makes the game more tasty, so no map trading as per PB18 is fine, regardless of barb levels.

Could always move map trading back to Paper, or even Education, as a compromise...

To be honest people should just build more fucking caravels and explorers IMO.

You lazy bastards know who you are.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I thought the main reason map trading was disabled in PB18 was so it wouldn't crash people's PCs? Presumably we wouldn't have to worry about that at all between the fewer players and less land per player?

(June 4th, 2015, 21:05)Dreylin Wrote: I'll sign up as the "(mostly) unspoiled and willing to take on abandoned and dying civs to keep the game moving" dude.

dito

(July 25th, 2015, 16:22)Krill Wrote: To be honest people should just build more fucking caravels and explorers IMO.

You lazy bastards know who you are.

I'm not playing in this game, so I'll put that up front. But why do you need perfect map knowledge on a civ located 4-5 civs away so early in the game? If you are curious, send a workboat and keep your fingers crossed. Or start working the phones in diplomacy. I didn't uncover the last black tile in PB18 until the turn before Satellites (did it all the hard way, manually). This was a fun diversion.

Scout locally enough to know what you're facing, then scout deep well enough to sate your curiosity. Not too hard.

I can help with the turn subbing if it's needed.

So are we banning map-trades altogether? (will this be just a gentleman's agreement, or is it a patch we need to DL?)