As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Nagas

Definitely no more speed. Nagas are already amazing, insane scouts with their 3 water walking movement.

Well, Nagas are 61% as durable as Bears, and Bears deal 57% of the damage of Nagas. So on that the two units are roughly even, Nagas have a slight edge in it (or a big edge, resistance comes in much wider variety than shields, and the 6 I used in the calculation might be overestimating the real average resistance of early units). But that's the problem : Nagas have water walking, first strike, and the respective realms demand bears to be stronger than Nagas anyway, not equal. So it'd be perfectly balanced if Nagas had neither water walking, nor first strike, and both were in Nature only.

Anyway, let's see the options :
-Less movement.
This would put them back to where they were before the Sorcery buffing. The unit would be significantly weaker despite the identical stats. Funny thing is, pure sorcery can get around this by putting Guardian Wind (against bowmen type units) or Focus Magic (against anything else) on the Nagas, so I'm not entirely sure why we wanted them to be faster in the first place. Unfortunately the AI doesn't use these tactics so this would hit Sorcery AI much harder than Sorcery humans so maybe that's why.
-Less attack.
Dropping melee from 5 to 4 would reduce damage by the exact same amount the poison buff raised it so we probably should do at least this much, but probably the problem is greater than this. However dropping it even further could turn it into an entirely "resist or die" based unit that fails against high resistance enemies which would make it more unique in common summons, but not necessarily in a good way. As Sorcery has nothing else, and it might need to fight a high resistance race early, I think this option is pretty bad.
-Less shields and/or hearts.
This makes the unit vulnerable to ranged, which is good - they are supposed to be vulnerable to it and the higher movement negated a lot of that weakness. However the player can still put Focus Magic or Guardian Wind on them to negate this weakness, and Catapults can counter the Guardian Wind so this change would promote smarter play and give the edge to the human players.
At the same time unfortunately it also makes them weaker in melee - you can't always expect to kill every enemy in range with first strike damage especially if there are multiples of them. However, as making them weaker is the goal, this might be the way to go as long as we don't overdo it. (We don't want Nagas to be another hell hound)
-Higher cost
So what if a Naga is equal to a bear in combat? The important point is not to be as cost-effective, so if they cost more, it's fine. For the current Naga, let's see. +20% cost because Nature summons are better than sorcery by definition. +10% for first strike, another for water walking. So 70*1.4 = 98 mana. That's actually pretty close to its original cost of 100. In fact, as Sorcery has very few summons and will need to rely on these longer, being able to have more total force in a stack, might be desired. Another upside is a few turns of delay in the early scouting done by the unit.
-Less poison
We buffed the entire poison mechanic specifically for this unit and Ghouls to be able to fill their role as "counter early buff rush", so reducing it would be very questionable.
-Lose first strike and water walking
This would be a stupid thing to do. I have nothing else to say about it.

Overall, I think the reduced defense, health, or increased cost are the viable options.
But if I have to pick one, I prefer raising the cost. The question is, how much. 90? 95? 98? 100? 110? 115? Saying first strike is worth 10% or the realm difference 20% are just examples so we should give it a bit more though than that.

PS : we'll deal with ghouls later, for those probably the best solution is to make skeletons more desirable and raise ghoul cost at the same time. There isn't much to be nerfed on "poison 1" or a strength 3 ranged attack.

Don't see upkeep mentioned here, but that's a big factor too. I know it stops me from summoning too many Sprites as Nature.

So my vote would probably be either reduced survivability (shields/hearts), or increased costs and/or upkeep. As said I do like their hard-hitting characteristics.

Upkeep huh. I rather not mess with that, the human player can't afford paying it early while the AI doesn't care at all. They already have 2 upkeep which is the highest a human can reasonably afford early - once I tried researching Fire Giants first and the 3 upkeep made me lose that game. It simply cannot be paid from an income of ~20-30.

Not saying it's a good thing or even a solution, but maybe such approaches could be explored in an attempt to also fix the summons vs city units problem?

Does the AI not care as it cheats so badly?

No, the opposite. It doesn't know what maintenance is whatsoever, so it has to cheat to deal with it.
Furthermore, the AI is designed around winning through numerical superiority because it's too dumb to do it otherwise. More units have more upkeep so even if the AI knew how much they could afford, they'd still need to cheat to stand a chance because they are less efficient at using the units.

We can try a subtle -1hp or a 90 cost change and see how that goes.

unrelated: hell hounds feel 'slow', I expect them to be more cavalry-like, not something that moves at same speed as nagas/bears.

Well, what do you want nagas role in the game to be?

If they're a hard-hitting first strike unit then dropping their hp and defense would make sense. They would remain deadly in melee, but become extremely vulnerable to ranged attacks.

If they are are supposed to be hard to kill, with the focus being on their poison (a tricky unit that kills low resistance instead of low defense units) then their attack should drop a couple points, and possibly more poison added.

Alternately, focus magic puts emphasis on ranged units, the naga could be tanks designed to screen for those ranged units.

What role, well, first and most importantly "the one and only available common sorcery summon".
As such it needs to be versatile enough and playable by AI, especially as Sorcery doesn't have much even in uncommons. So the role is "a weaker war bears".
A fragile first strike unit with low health and armor fails at both versatility and AI (they can't position them to avoid getting struck instead of hitting first) so it's probably suboptimal.
In fact the first strike high damage low armor concept doesn't really work unless the unit is so fast to still stay out of all other enemies' range after hitting something. Cavalry can do this, heroes can with equipment, flying units can avoid retaliation that way, but a 3 move naga has none of that so it needs some armor and health to survive.

They have another role though - balancing out buff stacking Life tactics with good enough availability of poison on common creatures. So the hard hitting poison is required.

Finally, coming from the "water/air" realm, water walking movement would be nice to keep.

So based on this answer, I guess lowering attack strength (loses versatility) or defense (AI can't use) would be both bad.

I honestly think both naga and war bears and ghouls are too expensive for a common summon that is not a niche unit (as sprites are niche).

They should all be reduced in price, and their stats reduced to reflect that.

That cost (and associsted stats) are why one can get away with summon spam at the start, unlike hell hounds. Since hell hounds are much more balanced, I firmly believe the other 3 should all be reduced toward hell hound, not increased in cost.

Unfortunately we have no room for reducing stats on nagas (see above posts) and ghouls (what do you reduce on a strength of 3 and 1 poison? I guess you could reduce the armor and hearts but that's not that relevant on a ranged unit you use to farm undead without engaging in melee. It's not like they have high armor or health for a big reduction anyway and I rather not have them end up the "death sprites". )

Bears...well, there is room for reducing their stats, but...not the cost. 55 is fairly average for a common, and we certainly don't want the best summon realm's "big" common creature to be comparable to a skeleton or hound in their price and strength.