As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Brexit Political Discussion Thread

Because he wants Brexit to happen without him being in any kind of position of responsibility.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Thursday is the deadline for candidates to drop without appearing on the ballot.

What happens to the Labour party after this election...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(November 13th, 2019, 03:48)Krill Wrote: What happens to the Labour party after this election...

Well, their policies are actually quite popular, so I expect they'll replace Corbyn with someone younger, fresher, and with less of a history. But otherwise change very little, except maybe to just tone it down the rhetoric. And that'll probably be enough to win a majority in 5 years time, because any Brexit that Johnson is capable of delivering would be bad for the country, and people will blame him for it once the consequences stop being theoretical. On top of all the other things people are blaming to Tories for.

New no drops. It's now obvious if team rainbow wins they will go for a second loaded referendum so a vote for them is a vote for remain. This will cause DUP to suck it up and vote for BJ deal because if remain happens Ireland reunifies due to demographics while they have a chance if they pick BJ, future relationship talks fail and the UK crashes out. So BJ can add DUP to his seats. Tories are in a good position now but a week in politics is a long time. Lean Tory+DUP Majority.

Edit: If Brexit happens the Tories would probably sneak in an extra term as lib dems/labour split the left vote. This will cause the lib dems to implode, handed labour an easy win the next term (no bleedoff+tories in government for way too long).

Okay, 2 Brexit party candidates stood down at the last second to avoid Farage reselecting someone in time. This is worth one seat at best.

Why do you think re-unification is more likely if Remain occurs? Since Northern Ireland voted against Brexit I would have thought it would be the other way around?

Tbh in either case I find it hard to see a United Ireland happening for a long time anyway.

There are a lot more catholic children than protestant (birth control?). In fact the catholic population has recently surpassed the protestant one. Judgment day is quite some time away because 1/3 catholic vote union but unionism is doomed in NI unless something happens. DUP has nothing to lose.

Ah, ok, so you're just saying the DUP should be taking hail mary plays. I could see that, though it requires the DUP to truly believe that they're currently doomed to failure.

It's pretty obvious that they are doomed and it would not be a Hail Mary play if they hold the balance of power. They would just lie and then stop propping up BJ. Also BJ would lose more votes because the his deal is just a broad outline and you lose more votes as you get specific. A crash out is much worse then doing what BJ wants so Labour and Lib Dems should prop him up but they probably won't because it would be an endorsement to Tories and they benefit from the chaos a crash out would bring because it makes Tories look bad. This wouldn't work before the deal goes through because the UK could just Revoke but that wouldn't be possible anymore...

Edit: DUP would also be able to get some ERGers on board who would like No Deal better.