As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Brexit Political Discussion Thread

Things are stable now. Electoral Calculus says Tory majority of 78 or 80 if they win the last marginal seat or not.

DUP+Tory+Brexit = 46.3%. Looks close but remember a lot more on the left stay home for a GE but would vote in refferendum.

Electoral Calculus calls Tory majority of 82.

Unless the SNP are going to start blowing stuff up they are going to be ignored. And even that isn't going to get them an independence referendum

Swinson and Corbyn got what they deserved. They ignored the referendum result at their peril. Swinson in particular played a stupid game, if she hadn't pushed for this election she wouldn't have pushed Corbyn into a corner and they would have had a hung parliament to work with for another 2 years and could have played spoiler to try and force a referendum rather than a GE. They were impatient and fell right into Boris' obvious trap. Corbyns mistakes are multiple but for a fool who will sit down with anyone he absolutely refuses to negotiate and compromise on his own terms and demands yet he compromised where he shouldn't on the remain vote. He should have backed leave and given up the remain seats in a.pact with the Lib Dems for a single election and then pushed for PR.

Now they have nothing and no one to blame for putting Boris into power,.except themselves.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Other fun facts

Corbyn got less seats than Foot did.

Turnout went down. It may seem weird because the election is very important but it suffered from weak candidates, bad winter weather and the negative campgin. The turnout is much more impressive in context.

"The Tories are a broad church" - Every Tory MP during the brexit infighting.

When was the last time you heard Labour MPs say that? Or even act as if it were true?

It doesn't matter though, we have another 5 years of Tory rule, although it will be interesting if they reset the next election to May 2024 or not? Will they repeal the FTPA? Probably, no reason to keep it now.

I wonder if Hunt gets brought back in some role? That guy is a conniving bastard and a half, he could be a useful tool somewhere. In other news, Milton, Gauke, Grieve are out, so out of the MPs Boris expelled, they all lost their seats.

This really is a total victory for him. Well, not quite: Grayling still got re-elected so he has that moron to deal with. Hopefully he just dumps his incompetant arse on the back benches where he should rot.

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(December 12th, 2019, 17:03)Krill Wrote: Bye-bye Europe.

Conservative majority of 86 according to the broadcasters exit poll.

Darrell, did I ever say I liked your modesty?

No Krill, you haven't but its sweet of you to say so.  Would that be one down and 75 to go then shades ?

Darrell

I see your ability to count has also greatly improved since we last met.

74 and counting Darrell.

The biggest takeaway is Project Fear decisively failing. Fear propaganda to make people afraid of leaving the EU, but it just stopped working. Many people still prefer to stay, but they're not in the grip of Fear anymore.

National feeling is so powerful that only a few things can restrain it. Fear is one, but that's not working anymore.

In the US, there was a similar fear campaign around Trump, he's unstable, mentally ill, shouldn't be put in charge of nukes. It's dead now, so we should expect a larger landslide in 2020 compared to four years ago.

(December 14th, 2019, 19:17)ipecac Wrote: In the US, there was a similar fear campaign around Trump, he's unstable, mentally ill, shouldn't be put in charge of nukes. It's dead now, so we should expect a larger landslide in 2020 compared to four years ago.

There was also the spectre of Trump being a dictator, Hitler, which merged post-election with Trump being the puppet of Putin. Few now take these seriously.