As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gaspar & Noble make their triumphant? return; mostly just get asked about "The List"

(November 11th, 2020, 12:20)Old Harry Wrote: I've been too drunk to type for the last week. How's your hangover?

Aren't you Irish?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote: Biggest target of anger
Nominees: Pindicator, Superdeath, Serdoa

Winner:  Pindicator.  While I'm mostly over this (the PB55 map is much worse) things like the stone placement and circumnav coming way too early are the gifts that keep on giving.

[Image: 2gr7q3.jpg]

(November 11th, 2020, 12:40)NobleHelium Wrote: Harry, you're not allowed to ask questions that are already answered in order to boost your post count. nono

You're using the 'phracts to settle scores with the mapmaker rather than to win the game? Noob! neenerneener

(November 11th, 2020, 12:50)Commodore Wrote:
(November 11th, 2020, 12:20)Old Harry Wrote: I've been too drunk to type for the last week. How's your hangover?

Aren't you Irish?

You're thinking of either TBS or Brian Shanahan. I'm only half Irish.

I'm on vacation, so you can't have a hangover if you just stay drunk the whole time.

(November 11th, 2020, 12:31)Old Harry Wrote:
(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote:   Rusten had a very good start but looks to have been slowed a bit.  His micro looked quite sloppy when we were scouting him, but I still think he has a realistic shot to win. 

And to get back on topic, what was sloppy about the micro?

Working a few too many unimproved tiles, mostly. Also just some slightly peculiar worker actions. I was expecting more, I guess.

(November 11th, 2020, 12:36)Old Harry Wrote: Where are the catephracts going to go?

Everywhere? It really depends on the opportunity. If you asked me 50t ago I would have said SD. If you asked me 25t ago I would have said Serdoa. If you ask me now, I can see the logic for both. They might go on boats towards Lewwyn if nobody else checks him and he gets too frisky in the water. The only certainty is they will be built, they will be legion and they will be up someone's backside.

(November 11th, 2020, 12:40)NobleHelium Wrote: Harry, you're not allowed to ask questions that are already answered in order to boost your post count. nono

Sure he is. #engagement

(November 11th, 2020, 12:51)pindicator Wrote: [Image: 2gr7q3.jpg]

[Image: leo.gif]

(November 11th, 2020, 13:39)Old Harry Wrote: You're using the 'phracts to settle scores with the mapmaker rather than to win the game? Noob!  neenerneener

Great idea! *sideeye Pindicator*
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

(November 11th, 2020, 15:44)Gaspar Wrote:
(November 11th, 2020, 12:31)Old Harry Wrote:
(November 10th, 2020, 23:37)Gaspar Wrote:   Rusten had a very good start but looks to have been slowed a bit.  His micro looked quite sloppy when we were scouting him, but I still think he has a realistic shot to win. 

And to get back on topic, what was sloppy about the micro?

Working a few too many unimproved tiles, mostly.  Also just some slightly peculiar worker actions.  I was expecting more, I guess.

I don't think we have enough information to say it's actually sloppy. Hard to tell without seeing the entire picture with plans and everything. We've actually been working a few more unimproved tiles this game and I actually think this is a good thing - I've been too shy to do it in the past, and it can often make sense and/or be better to do so.

Best lurker is always mine to lose.

Darrell

Man.

It is dark in here isn't it?

Must be the lack of lurker chatter.

Well.

Let see if I can do anything about that.

<fumbles around in dark>

Yes, that should help.

[Image: t72a.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: t72b.jpg]

What? You didn't think we were going to pick Industrious and not build any wonders, did you? Kappa

As you may have now noted, Noble left out a key source of trade routes in his post above. We've been planning on building GLH there for some time, though we've only been fully committed since we teched Masonry. We had to make a couple suboptimal moves to shave the completion time from t74 to t72 but when you see the demos, it was the sort of move that was definitely worth it.

In fairness, the demos got an additional boost @EOT

[Image: t72c.jpg]

So yeah, its kind of like we built the unnerfed GLH. For the record, even if we don't nerf the circumnavigation reward, it definitely shouldn't tell everyone you got it anymore. Its essentially a national wonder now, and somebody finishing the National Epic doesn't hit the event log. If Lewwyn's circumnav hadn't been announced, we definitely wouldn't have known just how easy it would be and he might have had the advantage of his scouting longer. As it is, we did a terrible job scouting and we're the second to achieve this.

For those only following our thread, here's a picture of what we know of Mayan lands

[Image: t72d.jpg]

The area around our scout is quite nice, similar to our area around The Ascent. I'd love a city where the scout is right now, or 1W of the fish. Bob just completed a settler in Joker this turn so maybe that's where he's headed.

In other news, Lewwyn and Rusten settled cities this turn. So everyone but Lewwyn (10) and Bob (6) are on 7 cities right now. We plan to plant for the dry wheat and the marble in the next 5-10 turns and then the Beachhead after that.

Here's a picture of the Serdoan border, where he captured Chengdu and settled Yekaterinburg recently. We definitely need more units in this area.

[Image: t72e.jpg]

Anyway, as the demos that follow tell you, we had a huge GNP spike from these two events. It should allow us to power through Metal Casting and Currency relatively quickly. In addition to the settlers, we're going to need to amp unit production up because I suspect we'll be a little bit more of a target now, particularly once we turn tech on.

[Image: t071-demos.jpg]
[Image: t72f.jpg]

Any questions?
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

(November 12th, 2020, 12:18)Gaspar Wrote: [Image: t72c.jpg]

So yeah, its kind of like we built the unnerfed GLH.  For the record, even if we don't nerf the circumnavigation reward, it definitely shouldn't tell everyone you got it anymore.  Its essentially a national wonder now, and somebody finishing the National Epic doesn't hit the event log.  If Lewwyn's circumnav hadn't been announced, we definitely wouldn't have known just how easy it would be and he might have had the advantage of his scouting longer.  As it is, we did a terrible job scouting and we're the second to achieve this.

Interesting thought. I will think about it.
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

I am disappointed that you have not thought about it before this. I assumed it couldn't be changed or was too difficult to change.