Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

"You have been struck down." - Dwarf Fortress Adventure stories

In autumn there is some nice progress to show:
[Image: 1271001bridge.png]

The wooden construction barge is almost to the other side.
Wooden scaffolding helps constructing the obsidian support pillars which are anchored at the barges for now.
Two strips of alunite are laid on top the supports.

A hunter supplies us with albatross and dingo meat, while a little underground farm provides fermentable plants.

I am a bit worried about goblin attacks and massive migrant waves. {I will probably switch them off and restrict the waves.}

mh
"You have been struck down!" - Tales of Dwarf Fortress
---
"moby_harmless seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"

Late winter and the strait has been bridged!
Well almost. The wooden construction barges have linked both sides, so construction of the actual bridge has begun from the east side as well.
The wooden gangway however gets constantly over washed with waves, so no "dry-link" is yet established.
[Image: 1270404bridge.png]

This is further delayed by a shortage of construction material (alunite for the actual road) and a change in the construction plan. (lesser but more sturdier supports in the water).

The project has claimed two deaths already. They fell into the water during some chaotic scaffold-deconstrution.
Once the bridge is done, our masons will engrave slabs in their memory. We don't want their ghosts hunting the site!
---

17th February 128 - link-up!

One of my dwarves promptly throws a party in the dining corner and half my workforce attends. We are not done yet!!!

And better hurry up with those carved slabs in memory of the dead workers!
[Image: 128xxx5ghost.png]
---

That is one big backpack...

(November 16th, 2012, 11:59)NobleHelium Wrote: That is one big backpack...

Adventurers have been known to stuff a whole dragon into a backpack. Next to the hydra. smile

mh
---

The Girlishbridge spanning the Harmless Strait!

[Image: 1290329complete.png]

2 years of construction! 3 dead workers!

An alunite road supported by obsidian columns. Three wooden barges hold up the bridge over water.

The three dead workers each have a engraved slab inlaid in the western approach road in their memory.

The side path leads to the entrance of the temporary dwarven dwellings and quarry as well as to a fresh water well at the end.
[Image: 1290329west.png]

And here the eastern approach.
[Image: 1290329east.png]

Neat!
Construction site (i.e. fortress) abandoned.

mh
---

So, I am not going to touch this for the next days.
Anyone feel free to continue.

The following options are available:
  • Play as an adventurer. (Try to follow the setup suggestions in post 5)
  • Create a fortress. (Suggestion: try to found it near the area we are playing in, not the other side of the world.)
  • Reclaim the construction site and improve the bridge. Lever operated drawbridge for example.

Make a good story!

Here is the save file:
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|424p11...|33511|0|0

mh
---

Glad we have a bridge now! smile

Yanno ...

I'd personally love it if Dwarf fortress was a type of game where you play fortress mode like Civ IV and Adventurer mode like Morrowind/Skyrim wink

(I speak of course of User Interface, graphical appeal etc ... by ALL means keep the ironman/ mathematically detailed FUN)

--> And I realize of course, that if we kept the DF combat system, it'd work a hell of a lot more like Morrowind than Skyrim on combat mode.

and in Fortress mode combat would work more like "Dwarfs!"

But either way, I think it'd be awesome if the graphics and UI were different for each mode, to represent more what you can actually do. (in Fortress mode, you'd select fortresses and cities to build new shit, set new digging sites, etc ... while in Adventure mode you'd have a quest book, a graphical inventory, hotkeys and mouse mapping ... hell, have hotkeys in Fortress mode too :P)

---> mind you I don't have 1st person experience with DF, so I don't know what the current UI is, other than ASCII and text based descriptions ... and I have no idea how hard/easy it is to figure out, say, how to get your dwarves to mine something or build something

--------------------

Also it'd be cool if you also had an "empire" mode, where you controlled either a human or goblin empire. (btw, can you sort of do this if you become a nation's law giver?)

NEW QUEST

-Become a law giver, declare war, take over a city wink