As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Poll: How then shall we play?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Repeat the mistakes and glories of the past!
22.41%
13 22.41%
Wallow in bitterness and rage!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Peace out blissfully and love everyone!
15.52%
9 15.52%
Iron Terminator, Win Above All Else!
20.69%
12 20.69%
Die to Barbarians.
25.86%
15 25.86%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[spoilers]Oh Canada! Victoria has a Commodore, eh?

Canadian Faces: Machine Gunner in the Charlottetown Garrison
[Image: norman1.jpg]
Your dreams are of music, the deep rough voice of your father singing hymns loud while he hammered in the shop. It leaves you homesick when the sergeant's below wakes your squad. It's early, but inspections are respecters of no decent clock. Still, you hum the old tunes to yourself as you lace your boots and shave.
[Image: World-War-I-machine-gunners.jpg?885f03]
Oiled and gleaming in the dim fall sun, your machine gun Bitchin' Bess is smartly turned out, earning a nod from the captain and merciful silence from the sergeant. Other guns and their crews have been less fortunate, as the bored soldiers of the 342nd Guards tend to be sloppy at the best of times.

Not you, though. Your father was proud to have his third son join the Guards. A Master Carpenter makes less now that in your great-grandfather's time, and your father could barely afford you until your sixteenth birthday. Father's rich clients could never keep a sneer off their faces when you told them of your dreams, but father is a Canadian with pride.
[Image: POC_Aerial_LG.jpg]
For a hundred years, the 342nd have watched over the city of Charlottetown, protecting against invasion that has never come. For all that, who else fights fires along the docks, when drunken sailors quarrel and curse? Who else ensures smugglers never venture along the tundra shoreline, spreading Ottoman drugs or worse? Who else provides the ceremonial guards for the bishop or the mayor on their speech days? You serve the city with pride even if you never fire a shot in anger.

Some others in your unit mutter, from time to time, wishing to try the might of their guns against German or Ottoman invaders swarming from the seas. But not you. You have no such dreams of glory, and sometimes when you dream you feel fear at the thought of fire, smoke, and blood. You do not want to see the Maple Flag tattered, or hear the screams of wounded and the wails of terrified civilians.

So fortunate, you are, indeed to be in the 342nd under the banners of Canada. Three warm meals, a comfortable bed, and an elk-head dollar a day are all you can ever expect to see out of your service to the Peaceful Nation. And so you are content.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(May 22nd, 2014, 21:18)Commodore Wrote: Who else ensures smugglers never venture along the tundra shoreline, spreading Ottoman drugs or worse?

Whats wrong with a bit of opium?

And, as usual: bow

when will you pick up that iron tile anyway??

Another awesome update Comm! Someone's got to keep those drunk destroyer crews in line.

Is someone trying to hide a 2 turn Flight?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I appreciate how you've kept this thread drama - free so far.

mischief
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(May 23rd, 2014, 09:32)pindicator Wrote: I appreciate how you've kept this thread drama - free so far.
Clearly you didn't read my turn two.

(May 23rd, 2014, 08:19)Krill Wrote: Is someone trying to hide a 2 turn Flight?
Nah, I just saw that Plako was 1t from finishing Electricity, so I opted to "wait" on that. Tech drafting is weird, man. My GNP is second because I'm researching a 2 person tech vs. someone else on a 5-6 person tech.

New city time! Welcome Cape Breton, folks!

Kofiman, I gotcha bro. Ottawa is slowly, slowly, slowly regrowing...

If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

I always thought that the modern era units added in BTS didn't really fit in with vanilla. They seem like unnecessary subdivisions of the other units.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

anti-tanks are vital counter units. they are the spearmen of the day, pretty much exactly.

Admittedly, i cant remember if they were in vanilla. were you talking about a different unit?

(May 24th, 2014, 00:04)Ceiliazul Wrote: anti-tanks are vital counter units. they are the spearmen of the day, pretty much exactly.

Admittedly, i cant remember if they were in vanilla. were you talking about a different unit?

They were in vanilla, they weren't the main thing I didn't like, which was the mobile SAMs. I don't think that anyone really wanted them and they devalued Tier 2 fighters by making your 2 move units having protection that they should not have. Same thing with mobile artillery giving your 2 move units something that the were previously sacrificing.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!