As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

Granaries are unfixable, they are too tightly integrated into economics of the game. The rest I'm interested in reading reasons why changes are justified.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(October 4th, 2013, 14:40)WilliamLP Wrote: The key word is "chances", which I feel make a game inferior when applied to a single irreplaceable and valuable unit. Turning barbs off has much larger effects.

It is just another random effect among the numerous others and not even close to the most significant one. I admit that early game will be boring without a scout, but if you play it wisely there is a very good chance your scout will survive.

(October 4th, 2013, 14:50)plako Wrote: It is just another random effect among the numerous others and not even close to the most significant one. I admit that early game will be boring without a scout, but if you play it wisely there is a very good chance your scout will survive.

If the philosophy is "if it isn't breaking the game, don't fix it" then it's not needed. But it's a small thing that would make the game slightly better.

(October 4th, 2013, 14:40)Krill Wrote: Granaries are unfixable, they are too tightly integrated into economics of the game. The rest I'm interested in reading reasons why changes are justified.

Economics change. Maybe it is time to move away from the granary economics. Or at least to try it.

Free commerce from rivers, it is like financial trait for free, almost. Who has rivers, he gets too much advantage. Compare riverside tiles and lakeside, nobody cares about lakeside. How about removing riverside commerce, making cities with fresh water have +1 trade route.

(October 4th, 2013, 15:48)flugauto Wrote:
(October 4th, 2013, 14:40)Krill Wrote: Granaries are unfixable, they are too tightly integrated into economics of the game. The rest I'm interested in reading reasons why changes are justified.

Economics change. Maybe it is time to move away from the granary economics. Or at least to try it.

Free commerce from rivers, it is like financial trait for free, almost. Who has rivers, he gets too much advantage. Compare riverside tiles and lakeside, nobody cares about lakeside. How about removing riverside commerce, making cities with fresh water have +1 trade route.

Civ IV is something like 50% about the differing yields of tiles. Making tile yields identical in the name of game balance is crazy. It's especially crazy because we use human-made maps. There is nothing actually preventing us from playing with balanced maps. It's also crazy because the differences in quality between resources is so much higher than 1 commerce. And the difference in quality between different terrain types is also equal or greater - plains is just as much worse than grassland, as lakeside tiles are worse than riverside ones. And the dropoff to tundra and desert, and rise to flood plains, is even greater! But yeah, this is most of the game we are talking about here. It stops being worth playing if you take out the varying tile yields.

Granaries could easily be removed, food costs for growth could be cut in half, and settlers could cost 70% more. Congratulations, you removed granaries and setting up a new city costs about the same. The question is, why would you want to do this? Granaries actually serve a purpose, namely forcing new cities to put up some production in addition to just food, and ensuring that there's a good economic production sink at the start of the game so you don't have every city producing military while it grows. You called granaries "broken" earlier, and that displays a fundamental misunderstanding of their place in the game. You're not supposed to be like, hm, should I build a granary first or a library first or a barracks first? for every city. Granary is the correct choice! But just because something is the correct choice, doesn't mean it's broken. An example is resources: guess what, you should improve resource tiles before you start working on those bare plains tiles. That doesn't mean resources are broken - you weren't supposed to ever be having that debate. They are adding texture and soul to the game.

(October 4th, 2013, 18:28)SevenSpirits Wrote: Civ IV is something like 50% about the differing yields of tiles. Making tile yields identical in the name of game balance is crazy. It's especially crazy because we use human-made maps. There is nothing actually preventing us from playing with balanced maps. It's also crazy because the differences in quality between resources is so much higher than 1 commerce. And the difference in quality between different terrain types is also equal or greater - plains is just as much worse than grassland, as lakeside tiles are worse than riverside ones. And the dropoff to tundra and desert, and rise to flood plains, is even greater! But yeah, this is most of the game we are talking about here. It stops being worth playing if you take out the varying tile yields.
Balanced maps are boring. Most RB PB games have very unbalanced maps.

And it is easy to see how those who get the bad land are happy.
(May 10th, 2012, 19:31)SevenSpirits Wrote: We have some crappy land though (like 15 river tiles total, 3 of which are cottageable grassland, and not a whole lot of food)

(October 4th, 2013, 18:28)SevenSpirits Wrote: Granaries could easily be removed, food costs for growth could be cut in half, and settlers could cost 70% more. Congratulations, you removed granaries and setting up a new city costs about the same. The question is, why would you want to do this?
Why do you say I want to remove granaries? Why would anyone remove granaries? Why cut the growth food? Why make settlers cost more? Remove the magic food, make granaries do something else.

(October 4th, 2013, 18:28)SevenSpirits Wrote: You called granaries "broken" earlier, and that displays a fundamental misunderstanding of their place in the game. You're not supposed to be like, hm, should I build a granary first or a library first or a barracks first? for every city. Granary is the correct choice!
Firstly, granaries are not always the first correct choice. Secondly, even if they are not the first correct choice, they are the second one. I don't like this, I don't agree with this.

I think you and Seven are talking past each other, flugAuto. Seven explained that the granary serves as fixed cost in the development of any city. You design the game with a certain rate of horizontal expansion in mind - this rate is determined by the cost of a settler as compared to the cost of labour. Now, you can make the cost of a settler/pop constant OR you can split the cost between the settler/pop and a building - the granary. The latter option is more interesting for the player because it introduces choices in the development of the new city.

If you remove or redesign the granary you preserve game balance only by increasing the cost of a settler and decreasing the cost of labour. After that you could create a "new granary" that does something else - but why not leave the granary as it is and throw the "new granary" on top?

The granary reflects the idea that the function of every city in the game is to grow labour. Some cities will go on to generate hammers, or gold, or beakers, or culture, or espionage and each of those goods gets its own line of buildings. The granary is the unique "labour building." And so, by "granary economy" you are really referring to the "labour economy" - you can't get rid of it, you can only rebalance it.

(October 4th, 2013, 19:25)flugauto Wrote: Balanced maps are boring.

Greatly disagreed.
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

I agree with everything Sevens said, but would add that a rebalancing mod is the wrong place to be suggesting such a change. IMO the chance of Krill changing the granny mechanic is nil, its that fundamental to the game. If you look at the mods section at CFC there are plenty that would change the mechanics in such a way, and plenty have already.
Out of curiosity, when are they not always the right choices?
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.