As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Medieval Start PitBoss

I’m tempted but already in two PB so I shouldn’t. I would recommend banning Byzantium and Imperialistic because medieval start settlers are more expensive (and come with free granaries)
Peace is non-negotiable

Might be interested in this. I am just about the biggest "stop playing basic ancient" guy around. If I played, I'd prefer CtH over RtR, though I'm not sure it's exactly a dealbreaker.

What kind of map are you all thinking? I have some, uh, let's say strong preferences to not get map screwed so hard that I <spoiler> and <spoiler> and will never ever <spoiler> even though <spoiler> is kinda <spoiler>.

Also regardless of any of the above decisions, I think it's important to have the IMP discussion - namely whether it should be balanced around or not. It's less extreme in Medieval than later eras, but it's still a real issue.

I could probably whip up a map for you, if you want it (you should all know my approach to balancing by now). With sequential you'd probably want no more than 6-8 players. As for advanced start, I know Noble got that to work in PB57.

A note on balancing; you really need to look on a larger set of tiles when working with both later era start or advanced starts.

Edit: Another thing to clarify for a game like this: How do you feel about pre-placed barbs, to counter that players start with more?
Playing: PB74
Played: PB58 - PB59 - PB62 - PB66 - PB67
Dedlurked: PB56 (Amicalola) - PB72 (Greenline)
Maps: PB60 - PB61 - PB63 - PB68 - PB70 - PB73 - PB76

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

I would note that you don't have to play with an advanced start (e.g. free buildings, expensive settlers) to start in the medieval era. You can choose to just give people the relevant techs and (if you choose) obsolete the relevant wonders.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(February 6th, 2024, 04:54)Qgqqqqq Wrote: I would note that you don't have to play with an advanced start (e.g. free buildings, expensive settlers) to start in the medieval era. You can choose to just give people the relevant techs and (if you choose) obsolete the relevant wonders.

There are actually several different parts here. Advanced start is the one where you start with points to buy cities, units, techs and improvements; see PB53 and PB57 for examples. Era start does stuff like giving extra starting units and free improvements, and then there's the third option Q brings up which is to just add techs manually.

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Thanks for the PM but I'm not in a position to play anything beyond a forum game right now.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

One question we need to consider is religion. With Medieval start, Meditaton / Polytheism / Monotheism / CoL are among starting techs, and corresponding religions are founded in random players' capitals on T6. Are we ok with this?

Huh, didn't realize CoL was among the techs for Medieval start. I reckon I'm okay with it, but didn't Krill's mod have a fix? I thought it was ported to CtH too.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Free granaries and lighthouses, right? I'm okay with IMP being unbanned with a snake pick.

CtH Byzantines are okay, they're strong but not overwhelming.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Just testing out some stuff for Medieval start:
Advanced start defaults to 1620 points for small and 1800 points for standard, which ends up as 1458 and 1620 gold to spend.

Medieval start adjusts costs for settlers to 148h on small and 136h for standard. City costs are same as settler, and extra population costs 30+3x;hammer cost in gold for units and buildings and beaker cost in gold for techs. Worker improvements are 6x turns and 30 for workboats, while culture costs 25 for the first and 122 for the second.

Also note that advanced start (not era start) comes with 10 turns of enforced peace.

Normal era start gives you 2 settlers, 2 archers, 1 worker, 1 explorer and 25g. Every city starts with granary and lighthouse.

In my test, religions were handed out on T6.