As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gaspar & Noble make their triumphant? return; mostly just get asked about "The List"

(August 28th, 2020, 14:22)Charriu Wrote:
(August 28th, 2020, 14:11)Gaspar Wrote: How do you feel about Charriu's mod anyway?

I'll let you know in 150 or so turns. Kappa  Honestly, all the games going to KrillMOD had a decent bit to do with driving me away.  There's no question that base BTS is unbalanced enough that playing games on it at this point all had a familiar feel.  But Krill would constantly change so much and with no care for feel of the game that I really disliked his mod.  I don't think I ever played an actual game with it, though I do think I may have subbed or something at some point somewhere.  SevenMOD I liked much better, since it was closer to base BTS but ultimately it lost the mod wars due to not enough publicity or something.  Possibly due to Seven disappearing as well, I don't know.  Close to Home feels a little better at a glance and I like that Charriu seems to be going for nudges mostly.  I think the goal of a balance mod shouldn't be perfect balance but rather just getting to a point where there are less One Right Decision™ choices in the game.  I don't know if that's been accomplished, honestly, but I like that I can follow the game without having to have a changelog open.

Allears heart Dance 

Thanks a lot for the feedback. One goal of this mod actually was to bring back people, who were turned away from KrillMOD. And yes the goal of this mod is nudges. That said the mod is still in open development, but I  already have a good feeling about most of the changes.

I have to say that the one thing I am most wary about is feature creep.  It's easy to start with a minimalist mod with the best of intentions and eventually turn into a bloated monstrosity.  So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All feedback is welcome. So far nobody managed to make me angry with their feedback. smile

And no this is not a challenge. lol
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

(August 28th, 2020, 14:29)NobleHelium Wrote:
(August 28th, 2020, 14:22)Charriu Wrote:
(August 28th, 2020, 14:11)Gaspar Wrote: How do you feel about Charriu's mod anyway?

I'll let you know in 150 or so turns. Kappa  Honestly, all the games going to KrillMOD had a decent bit to do with driving me away.  There's no question that base BTS is unbalanced enough that playing games on it at this point all had a familiar feel.  But Krill would constantly change so much and with no care for feel of the game that I really disliked his mod.  I don't think I ever played an actual game with it, though I do think I may have subbed or something at some point somewhere.  SevenMOD I liked much better, since it was closer to base BTS but ultimately it lost the mod wars due to not enough publicity or something.  Possibly due to Seven disappearing as well, I don't know.  Close to Home feels a little better at a glance and I like that Charriu seems to be going for nudges mostly.  I think the goal of a balance mod shouldn't be perfect balance but rather just getting to a point where there are less One Right Decision™ choices in the game.  I don't know if that's been accomplished, honestly, but I like that I can follow the game without having to have a changelog open.

Allears heart Dance 

Thanks a lot for the feedback. One goal of this mod actually was to bring back people, who were turned away from KrillMOD. And yes the goal of this mod is nudges. That said the mod is still in open development, but I  already have a good feeling about most of the changes.

I have to say that the one thing I am most wary about is feature creep.  It's easy to start with a minimalist mod with the best of intentions and eventually turn into a bloated monstrosity.  So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The amount of changes actually decreased from 1.3 to 1.4 of CtH. I already mentioned this somewhere, but yes the feature creep is one of the hardest challenges. There were a lot of changes I wanted to make, that I just had to let go. After all one of the most important premisses in game design is:

Kill your babies!
Mods: RtR    CtH

Pitboss: PB39, PB40PB52, PB59 Useful Collections: Pickmethods, Mapmaking, Curious Civplayer

Buy me a coffee

Subscribed! Lovely to have you guys back!

Anything you want from the map that isn't covered in the settings? I'm going to ask everyone this, so no guarantee that I'll actually use it. Feel free to be as specific or vague as you like, I just want to get a feel for what people would like.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

We want a Toroidal map mostly, to guarantee maximum number of neighbors. But it is literally your choice.

Oh and the map should be balanced. wink

I can't believe that post Noble quoted was made seven years ago!

I feel bad looking at a lot of the old threads in the forum, how a lot of them are broken due to that dropbox link change (and perhaps other digital extinctions). There are a lot of great stories in this forum that got hurt by it. It's crazy to think that a game is behind these amazing narratives (it was one of those stories - Pocketbeetle's FFH thread - that made me find RB, after all). Another crazy thing is that a forum like this one will be a sort of archeological find, a lot of time from now. Perhaps some random person in 2120 will be reading about Mackoti breaking a NAP (man, I haven't thought about NAP's in a long time) with Gaspar and stopping the culture victory. Or that game where Pindicator and Scooter left their homeland behind to conquer an opponent far away with galleys...

Well, just felt a little nostalgic and emotional. This forum means a lot to me and I've learned a lot here. I'm just a normal guy, that lives in a part of the world where nothing really happens, but here I got to meet people that awed me with their knowledge, intelligence and takes on life. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the were posts here that changed the way I think about life and a whole lot of important subjects. And I was received as part of the community, not only a bystander.

It's really nice to see some of the old faces back!

That being said, I'm also here for the list. Not this new, fancy list. But the long promised Tier List that you guys failed to deliver since forever.  rant

Which tier list are you talking about? Pretty sure there's been at least four or five previously mentioned tier lists.

I have fixed a few of the images in my previous games but not in any coherent manner and I'm definitely not going to fix all of them. pindicator has been diligently fixing his though, albeit slowly.

(August 28th, 2020, 18:20)pindicator Wrote: Anything you want from the map that isn't covered in the settings?  I'm going to ask everyone this, so no guarantee that I'll actually use it.  Feel free to be as specific or vague as you like, I just want to get a feel for what people would like.

Yeah, I'm mostly agnostic on most settings. I want a map where everyone has room to grow naturally but not so much so that it means conflict is unnecessary. I want enough water for water to matter but not so much so that we're beelining optics. Balanced, not mirrored. Strategic resources accessible to all teams. Everyone has the same quality of capital. Serdoa and Lewwyn not my neighbors. wink
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

(August 28th, 2020, 19:11)Ichabod Wrote: I can't believe that post Noble quoted was made seven years ago!

I feel bad looking at a lot of the old threads in the forum, how a lot of them are broken due to that dropbox link change (and perhaps other digital extinctions). There are a lot of great stories in this forum that got hurt by it. It's crazy to think that a game is behind these amazing narratives (it was one of those stories - Pocketbeetle's FFH thread - that made me find RB, after all). Another crazy thing is that a forum like this one will be a sort of archeological find, a lot of time from now. Perhaps some random person in 2120 will be reading about Mackoti breaking a NAP (man, I haven't thought about NAP's in a long time) with Gaspar and stopping the culture victory. Or that game where Pindicator and Scooter left their homeland behind to conquer an opponent far away with galleys...

Well, just felt a little nostalgic and emotional. This forum means a lot to me and I've learned a lot here. I'm just a normal guy, that lives in a part of the world where nothing really happens, but here I got to meet people that awed me with their knowledge, intelligence and takes on life. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the were posts here that changed the way I think about life and a whole lot of important subjects. And I was received as part of the community, not only a bystander.

It's really nice to see some of the old faces back!

That being said, I'm also here for the list. Not this new, fancy list. But the long promised Tier List that you guys failed to deliver since forever.  rant

heart Ichabod.

Yeah, I've looked back at a few of my threads and find the lack of images pretty depressing. I'm definitely never going back and fixing them, though. I'll give someone access to my dropbox account if they want to do it for me. lol Particularly a shame that FFH7 and pretty much all my games with Noble are dead to the world, but so it goes.

I couldn't produce a tier list if I wanted to, I have no earthly idea who is good and who is not or for that matter even who is playing these days.
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?