As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Turn 111

THH razes another Zerg city, also you can see that last turn my tribute from Azza expired. And I built four forges.

Dotmapping the region that is now cleared is difficult. I want to plant a copy of Forest Green on the desert for the corn, silver and deer. Then I could place one on the north coast for Clam, Rice, sugar and wine. That's a hard place to defend though as the other three all have established cities on that body of water. I'll think about it.

I'll try and help Serdoa a little - don't know if whip anger is a problem for him, but it can't hurt... Unless it annoys Hydra. Although if he's anything like me he won't check! (I just had a panic that Hydra might pillage it, but he'd need to declare to do that, and I'm pretty sure he's too busy right now...)

You can see that most of my cities are still painfully small. I'm also putting infrastructure in the new ones by whipping which also isn't helping much. We have barracks completing in the Azza front cities (Ipswich and Forest Green) this turn and next, after which I'll produce spears and maces there. Halifax 2 will get onto producing units after the courthouse, workboat and baracks. Eventually it'll get the Globe and perhaps the Heroic Epic. Any reasons why those would be a bad combination?

People often use crop yield as an indicator of how well they are doing - in which case I'm not far off the first two. I suspect that this map is pretty food-rich though, and I'm working all of mine, so the gap is all the other citizens that do the real work...

Turn 112

Not much more action on the Hydra-Serdoa front. At present Serdoa is providing my only international trade routes as Hydra has gone to Mercantilism and Azza declined my open borders offer. I'm building more spears on the eastern Azza border and I think a trireme or two in Grimsby might be a good idea.

I think Serdoa is right that Hydra has picked the wrong target - He isn't getting any land out of this escapade and has two borders with Azza that he could push instead. My guess is that Hydra thinks he can out-civ Azza (he's been level or just ahead of him on points all game) and that I'm no threat and so is making sure Serdoa is similarly no threat. In his position I'd be tempted to do the same, but I'd want to be gaining territory from it. Which he'll only do if he mops me up on his way home. Oh. alright

I'm settling Nuneaton and Oldham over the next two turns. Can you guess in which order?

Machinery finishes this turn which means I can build maces until pikes come along, which is making me feel a little more confident in my defense. But either of the leaders could still wipe me out with ease at this point.

Power - no let up from any of the others. Should I build some maces? Or maybe put a couple of hammers in in a few cities in case I need to whip quickly? It's 10 turns before they'll decay, and I'm happy to waste a small amount of production to be ready for a quick defense.

Yeah putting a few hammers in for emergency whips is a good idea - walls as well as units.
I think the first hammer into an object never decays, though not sure on that....
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

All hammers decay.

Turn 113

Machinery! I'll build a couple of maces and put some hammers into others. In both my Azza-border cities I have enough production to 1-turn walls, but I already have 40% defence so is there any point? On the Hydra-border I've got no chance. Even running a bunch of (rep) scientists I'm five turns away from pikes still. frown

This is odd, is Serdoa trying to get eliminated or has he got a clever counter attack planned? Actually this pic is terrible. Sorry. Serdoa's stack is 1S of Korhal and Hydra's stack is 2SE of Char. Char is empty and if Hydra razes it next turn Serdoa can probably kill one knight with his spears. I don't get it.

Settled Nuneaton. That puts me 4 cities ahead of Hydra, 3 ahead of Azza and 5 ahead of Serdoa. They are mostly size 4 and badly lack infrastructure, but still I'm pretty happy with that. After settling Oldham next turn I think I need to concentrate on growing my cities and building some defense.

MOAR SOLDIERS NEEDED! Can it wait until Engineering?

Turn 114

So what's been going on here then? It looks like an actual fight... This is what's left of Hydra's stack. (1E of my horse)

My guess is Hydra burnt Char, then Serdoa piled into him with his stack, which thanks to the roads can run back to this hill.

The demos indicate that one of them has less soldiers than I do now. I'd guess that is Serdoa, but the graphs will confirm it next turn. Hydra can fall back and use XP from his general to heal while I think Serdoa needs to press his advantage whilst the knights are injured. popcorn

Anyhow, this turn I settled Oldham, finish two maces and two forges and I'm at the building granaries stage in my three newest cities. I also accidentally built a work boat in two cities instead of one bang. I've only put 12/20 hammers into it, so the question is, finish it in anticipation of netting the whales at some far flung point in the future or abandon it as a bad job?

I'm also pissed off that my nice alphabetical city naming system is totally to cock thanks to Serdoa. Now when I click for next city I go from Exeter to Altrincham to Halifax. Would it be bad form to just rename all the cities starting with Barnet as Altrincham so that I get less confused?

Turn 115

Its all quiet around here... scared

(April 14th, 2013, 12:23)Old Harry Wrote: Turn 115

Too quiet....

So, what's your plans for your inevitable victory at this point? dancing

(April 14th, 2013, 14:23)BRickAstley Wrote:
(April 14th, 2013, 12:23)Old Harry Wrote: Turn 115

Too quiet....

So, what's your plans for your inevitable victory at this point? dancing

Persuade Hydra and Azza to fight by dropping hints that they've been talking about each others mums?

Seriously I've got more territory than the others, so if I can just get enough pikes out to survive Hydra's army and then catch up on tech and development I'll win. It's just that "catch up on tech and development" is going to be a bit difficult!

Turn 116

Well this looks bad for Hydra, he's razed Constantiople (the ruins two tiles west of my horse archer) and has four or five knights there, but his main stack is pretty much gone...

If I'd been tracking demographics properly I could tell you how badly he's been hurt, but I'll have to wait until next turn. Mean time Azza is up to something - his power is spiking and he's got a few units on our border.

They aren't offensive units though, so I have to guess that either he's going for Hydra or he's got a stack of knights SE of de_tuscan. I want to put a castle into Forest Green once I've got Engineering (two turns away), and then build a load of pikes. Ipswich will either get a crossbow or some walls next turn. The bad news is Azza has Engineering (I think he's the only one), so can hit Forest Green before I can respond. The good news is I think no-one has Aesthetics yet so if I get left alone I can clean up the top of the tree...

On my western Azza-border I'm going to build another trireme after this mace. If Azza does declare I'll do some pillaging. I've had this trireme sitting hidden from him for a little while, on the assumption that he'll send some of his forces this way and I can sink them. Is there an argument for showing it to him to discourage an attack?