As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I don't see the AI improving to any competitive level any time soon - the victories are rather convoluted to obtain, especially the cultural one. Plus to know how to change the AI one first needs to understand the game and the information about what is going on is quite difficult to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why haven'y any of you guys started on an MP mod yet?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

So just out of curiosity, how many people are actually playing and enjoying Civ6 right now? We've had such a relentless flood of negativity and AI-bashing in the last few weeks that the mood in this forum can feel really depressing. It's been a bit frustrating when we can't even post in my succession game thread about what's going on without someone hopping in and telling us "your game is pointless because the AI in Civ6 is terrible and doesn't know how to win." Great, thanks, very helpful addition to our discussion.

And look, I don't think these posts are necessarily wrong either. The AI is a real mess in Civ6 at present, and it doesn't play the game well at all. I certainly know the feeling, since I was posting much the same kind of things about Civ5 when it came out. You could accurately call me a hypocrite in this regard. But as T-Hawk correctly told me back then about Civ5, it's not helpful to keep jumping into every thread about Civ6 to keep talking about how terrible the game is. We've already gotten the point by now: yes, we all know that the AI isn't very good in Civ6. Some of us still like the game anyway. We don't need to keep hearing about why it's so bad over and over again.

Of course, maybe I'm the one out of step with the community. It could also be that there's no interest in Civ6 at all, and we'll just keep maintaining a slowly-shrinking community of Civ4 diehards. If that's the case though, then please let me know so that I can stop wasting my time creating Civ6 succession games, Civ6 Single Player events, and writing lengthy Civ6 reports. I can just switch over to personal solo games and save myself a lot of time and effort. I'm enjoying this game a lot right now, but I can understand if not everyone feels the same way.

So what do people think? We've had about six weeks now. Is this game worth our time as a community? I certainly hope so. smile
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

(November 30th, 2016, 20:46)Sullla Wrote: So just out of curiosity, how many people are actually playing and enjoying Civ6 right now? We've had such a relentless flood of negativity and AI-bashing in the last few weeks that the mood in this forum can feel really depressing. It's been a bit frustrating when we can't even post in my succession game thread about what's going on without someone hopping in and telling us "your game is pointless because the AI in Civ6 is terrible and doesn't know how to win." Great, thanks, very helpful addition to our discussion.

And look, I don't think these posts are necessarily wrong either. The AI is a real mess in Civ6 at present, and it doesn't play the game well at all. I certainly know the feeling, since I was posting much the same kind of things about Civ5 when it came out. You could accurately call me a hypocrite in this regard. But as T-Hawk correctly told me back then about Civ5, it's not helpful to keep jumping into every thread about Civ6 to keep talking about how terrible the game is. We've already gotten the point by now: yes, we all know that the AI isn't very good in Civ6. Some of us still like the game anyway. We don't need to keep hearing about why it's so bad over and over again.

Of course, maybe I'm the one out of step with the community. It could also be that there's no interest in Civ6 at all, and we'll just keep maintaining a slowly-shrinking community of Civ4 diehards. If that's the case though, then please let me know so that I can stop wasting my time creating Civ6 succession games, Civ6 Single Player events, and writing lengthy Civ6 reports. I can just switch over to personal solo games and save myself a lot of time and effort. I'm enjoying this game a lot right now, but I can understand if not everyone feels the same way.

So what do people think? We've had about six weeks now. Is this game worth our time as a community? I certainly hope so. smile

So so. It's certainly not all I hoped. The cultural stuff is a bit dull for me. The religion is amusing but the theological combat is not my game.

I am however having some good amusement with the prior suggestion of diety always war like slingaboy said. Having 5 AIs throwing units at you does provide some challenge. However I never really played much SP civ4 either, and certainly very little non combat orientated civ4 so it probably makes sense I would feel like this now the game has shifted off combat somewhat.

I think there could be some really interesting combat multiplayer aspects in the game though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(November 30th, 2016, 20:46)Sullla Wrote: So just out of curiosity, how many people are actually playing and enjoying Civ6 right now? We've had such a relentless flood of negativity and AI-bashing in the last few weeks that the mood in this forum can feel really depressing. It's been a bit frustrating when we can't even post in my succession game thread about what's going on without someone hopping in and telling us "your game is pointless because the AI in Civ6 is terrible and doesn't know how to win." Great, thanks, very helpful addition to our discussion.

This.

I have played 70 hours at this point, completed 5 games, am playing Adventure 2, and am having quite a bit of fun.

I am not saying don't be critical of the game, I certainly think there is a lot in which you can legitimately find fault. However, both this thread and the Fall Patch Notes thread have basically turned into unrelenting storms of criticism that is drowning out any meaningful discussion of Civ6.

I think this game is worth our time as a community.

I've stayed out of most of the threads since the early days, and I'm having fun with some laid-back co-op vs AI with some old friends of mine. I enjoy reading writeups and following the ongoing succession games, but I haven't started Adventure 2 yet, and probably won't. I do think Civ6 can be quite enjoyable if you don't hold everything up to an excessively high standard and play the game as a game, not an optimization puzzle or competitive event. It's not the same feeling as playing X-COM or a Civ4 PBEM, but I don't expect it to.

As an observer, I feel like there are three main problems I can see:
1. Lots of community members don't have the game yet, whether it's because their computer can't run it yet, they're waiting for a big sale (because all computer games go on a major sale soon after launch), or simply because they're being cautious after how much Civ5 burned them. That means they're mostly observing, and that means a couple of vocal (negative) voices can dominate the conversation.
2. People here didn't like Civ5, and as good as Civ6 is, it's mostly being pitched as a (much) better Civ5, as while a lot of details were fixed, the main problems with Civ5 (1UPT and the awful AI resulting from it, the endless subsystems in the late game bogging down the process of actually finishing games, boosts seemingly continuing the "game where things happen to you" trend (even if that isn't the case)) were kept. Again, I haven't gotten on board the Civ6 train yet, but I've had a similar experience with Paper Mario recently: Sticker Star was an awful game (a contender for worst game released by Nintendo this generation), and while Color Splash was an improvement with great production values, it still was built upon the Sticker Star template (mostly the awful battle system), and wasn't a great experience for me.
3. The community (at least the portion that's most-often active) has a bias towards multiplayer (in particular slow multiplayer), and I've seen nothing on that. Has anyone tried it? I know neither Pitboss nor PBEM exist, and that there's a special online speed, but not much else.

A lot of this feels like it's tied to this community specifically: it feels like it skews older, so they generally have less time to play games. That means they don't have the three hours to spend playing a live MP match, or the funds to upgrade their computer for one game, or the patience to waste time hunting for artifacts or slogging through religious combat, especially when they have a perfectly-playable experience that's a lot more refined available.

I just registered to the forum to reply and let you know that:

a) I have been having a lot of fun with the game.  I stepped it up to Emperor and have been much more pleased with the AI's abilities.  I am not a hardcore player so this seems to give an OK level of competition for now.

b) Your time is not wasted with setting up Succession Games and writing your reports.  I have been lurking along and also reading your solo reports - finished the Aztecs report today smile

The critiques of the AI are obviously well founded, but the game is a blast and an improvement over Civ 5.  Hopefully it continues to be bolstered, but in the mean time the game we have in our hands now is still worth playing! Especially with the crazy variants you all cook up!

Eh. Do you NOT want to see just how completely broken the AI is under the hood? It's a brand new game and seeing how it all works is part of the fun. If people can't talk about what they find here, what's the point of this thread?

It's a bitter pill to swallow that civ 6 is a single player puzzle game and not a game with halfway competent AI opponents. Once you accept that you may get a lot out of single player. Thawk showed off a lot in civ v. Or you may not.

I'm still playing, but the ui issues make plumbing the depths of the puzzle experience less enjoyable. I'm honestly not sure how much longer I will play. And I happily spent hundreds of hours in civ4 on completely silly single player puzzles in the late adventures.

Pissing in your cherios and going into other threads is one thing, but if you can't share impressions in this thread if they are negative...

Sullla, no need to get so defensive. I remember your relentless bashing of Civ5 (which certainly was correct, but might have turned off a lot of people before even giving the game a try).

So, Civ 6 has a lot of issues mixed with some nice new concepts. However, as fluffy said, it's more like a puzzle than a civilization game. I mean, even solitaire or candy crush can be entertaining. I personally expect more from the 6th iteration of the game that I had to spend a lot of money on. To be told, I need to wait for DLC, which will mean more money for Firaxis, is a slap in my face. I can only hope that they release the source code, so that the community can turn this game around. Firaxis is in my opinion no longer able to produce a polished civilization game that I enjoy long term.

I still play the community MODs CCM (for Civ3) and Realism Invictus (for Civ4). They are awesome and address the weaker parts of each iteration. I hope we will get something similar for Civ6.

I personally do not enjoy sandbox games for science, religious or convoluted tourist victories. I am simply a warmonger and in this respect, Civ6 challenges me only at deity, playing always war.

I hope I can voice my feelings about this and not feel, I am deflating the community and Sullla. You got to be able to take that bit of criticism. I will respect your wish that I should not post anything in your SG. But it was that snipe at us, who call Civ6 AI terrible, that made me respond. You can expect such a reaction with your comment, can't you?