As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Don't mention the war

Just putting up the thread now to hopefully entice some dedicated lurkers to follow me. Other players in the game, please don't continue any further.

It seems both Oledavy and and Serdoa are suggesting a very small map. Even just 6-10 cities per nation. I don't know, if SevenSpirits takes this into account as is. However it might be safest to pick a nation with some strong early UU that would allow either agressive settling or opportunistic war. Catherine would also be a very good leader in tightly packed setup, but I don't think I'll choose her again.

plako Wrote:It seems both Oledavy and and Serdoa are suggesting a very small map. Even just 6-10 cities per nation. I don't know, if SevenSpirits takes this into account as is. However it might be safest to pick a nation with some strong early UU that would allow either agressive settling or opportunistic war. Catherine would also be a very good leader in tightly packed setup, but I don't think I'll choose her again.

Hey plako!

I'll ded lurk you - not sure how much help I'll be but I'll try!

Have you considered using the Native Americans? Paired with de Gaulle (IND/CHA) for example?

Stonehenge and then archer spam would allow you to settle where you like although the opportunity cost of SH is going to slow you down slightly - IND will help of course and if there is stone...

Starting techs would be the wheel/hunting iirc... not ideal.

EDIT - That is a lie Agri/Fish - Better

Square Leg you're very welcome to Fawlty Towers wink.

I'll choose the leader just based on whose appearance or habitus is closest to Basil Fawlty or some of his assistances. De Gaulle is definately high on that list. Peter's moustache raises his chances. Any other suggestions? I probably should also choose England despite of not much early game help. lol

Well that was tongue in the cheek moment. In the end I'll probably stick with proven alternatives. Concerning your suggestions I doubt that this map will be that Industrious friendly as PB4 was and if I choose industrious I'll probably would pair it with Spiritual, Creative or Expansive. I've been thinking Charismatic quite seriously and pairing it with Expansive or Spiritual are high on my current list, but I've not made any real desicions yet.

In random and packed map Natives are good. However this is hand balanced that lowers the value of copperless UU. Distances are averaged so no one is very close and everyone usually has easy access to strategic resources. So usual nations with early UU like Maya, Mali, Rome and Egypt are higher on my list at the moment. Too bad they're all played a lot so a bit boring alternatives so in the end Natives might be a nice alternative too.

Fatty Owls?

Name summary for 1st few units:

pla ko = Plinho
Square Leg = Felix Leca
Noble Helium = Heliiano
Seven Spirits = Sevão
Ky an = Ardo
Si an = Eca
rego arrarr = Regildo
J kaen = Kainho
pindi cator = Pindildo lol
Kevin rill = Felix Kevardo
Twinkle Toes = Twinkla
Profa ne = Profeto
No vice = Nerto

Square Leg Wrote:Fatty Owls?

Works for me or maybe Farty towels lol.

Opponent analysis using short pattern. List ordered according to threat level:

Oledavy/Mackoti: Oledavy has lots of enthusiasm and has lot of ideas (not all of them work wink) and seems good in diplo. He is a bit inexperienced that is easily fixed by Mackoti that is very solid and cabable. Together they form a dangerous team.

TMIT: Presumably good in SP and gamespy/fast games. Not much long term game experience. However thinking and fast learning so a top contender. Because of lobby games experience might be eager to choke. I hope I'm not a neighbor.

Serdoa: A bit erratic and has a track record of starting to play pretty badly, if things go wrong. Also stubborn so better be careful not to make him mad unless I can handle long war.

WarriorKnight: Probably the one I'll get easiest along with. Skillwise about even with Serdoa.

[Image: pbem25-start3-v6-cropped.jpg]

I have cropped everyone's screenshots to remove tile bleed. I decided I didn't want anything to ride on people's differing abilities to read the fog of war from a screenshot. I will say however that the lake you see is only 3 tiles big, and that the bottom right grassland is riverside. I've not cropped out any visible tiles. Naturally, if you choose a hunting start, your warrior will be replaced by a scout.

To repeat what I posted in the organizing thread:
Quote:Here is some very important general info, which everyone gets:

[SIZE="3"]The map is 30x30, has toroidal wrap, and has NO saltwater.[/SIZE]

Settings are as you discussed - standard size, emperor difficulty, and no barbs being the main ones to remember.

Good luck!

Thx SevenSpirits.

Plains hill start so moving is probably out of the question. I rarely start with Work boat when there are other food resources available. However lake fish is a rarely seen speciality so Fishing and WB start might be the best approach. I had to run comparisons with worker 1st though. Also Expansive doesn't give bonus in WB start unless one grows to size 2 before starting it. This makes it a tiny bit less appealing trait.

Suddenly Natives are starting to look better. Having Fishing+Agriculture as starting techs. Other reasonable alternatives with Fishing start are:
England - (+mining)
Greece - (+Hunting)
Rome - (+mining)

Not too intresting Fishing starters:
Carthage, Japan, America, Portugal, Spain, Vikings, Dutch

None of the alternatives is looking particulary strong in this setup. It might be that best approach is to pick nation before leader, if we really want Fishing.

Greetings plako. Fancy another dedicated lurker?

Nice read so far. Good luck plako.