As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

RB Civ 5 SG 4 - Ryder Cup American Team

T-hawk Wrote:Hey Sareln, any hints for when you can play?

Today smile
Blog | EitB | PF2 | PBEM 37 | PBEM 45G | RBDG1

The map is so ugly it's not even funny anymore... alright

Takeaway from previous points:

Policy: Take GA/33% social policy cost reducer
Technology: Tech Gunpowder, Metallurgy, Chemistry. Bulb Fertilizer, Rifling, Dynamite.

But don't we need to tech through economics as well? Or is it a longer term plan than I thought that I'm looking at here?

Uh is Economics required for Dynamite? I might not have read the tech tree correctly. If it is then I'd tech it sooner rather than later.

NobleHelium Wrote:Uh is Economics required for Dynamite? I might not have read the tech tree correctly. If it is then I'd tech it sooner rather than later.

Yeah, it is. I didn't realize that until I clicked on the dynamite tech to see what I needed to get first.

Current Tech Situation

[Image: T170_Tech_Situation.jpg]

So we need (in price order):
  • Printing Press (Theaters +3 Happy, -2 Maint; Taj Mahal GA + 4 Happy)
  • Banking (Banks +25% Gold, FP -10% Unhappy in unoccupied cities)
  • Gunpowder (Musketmen)
  • Economics (Windmill, Big Ben, +1 Gold on some improvements)
  • Metallurgy (Lancers)
  • Chemistry (Cannons, +1 Prod on some improvements)
  • Fertilizer (+1 Food on some improvements)
  • Rifling (Riflemen, Defensive Structure #3)
  • Military Science (Cavarly, Training Structure #3, Brandenburg Gate)
  • Dynamite (Kaboom)

Chatting with NH, probably best to tech PP & Banking in front of Gunpowder.

Ideally we bulb the most expensive techs.

GScientist Timeframes:

T170:
  • Boo Weekly (87 pts; +1 ppt for (1) and then +7 ppt)
  • Holmes (0 pts; +6 ppt)
  • Anthony Kim (0 pts; +0 ppt for (12) and then +6 ppt) - we don't have enough gold to rush the university here.

[Image: T170_GSCI_Table1.jpg]

Take-away, 4th scientist on T248. Each turn we save on the university in Anthony Kim translates directly into a saved turn on the last scientist.

Dang, you're right. So then the Dynamite beeline would comprise researching everything in the Economics-Chemistry-Metallurgy column, and using either four Great Scientists or three GS and a Research Agreement to get the Military Science-Fertilizer-Rifling column and Dynamite itself.

I still think it's our best plan, since that does take us through most of the good Renaissance techs anyway, with all the tile boosts except lumbermills.

Up to you whether to try to set up attacking with cannons, or hole up until artillery.

T-hawk Wrote:Dang, you're right. So then the Dynamite beeline would comprise researching everything in the Economics-Chemistry-Metallurgy column, and using either four Great Scientists or three GS and a Research Agreement to get the Military Science-Fertilizer-Rifling column and Dynamite itself.

I still think it's our best plan, since that does take us through most of the good Renaissance techs anyway, with all the tile boosts except lumbermills.

Up to you whether to try to set up attacking with cannons, or hole up until artillery.

Thinking about it, being at war doesn't change our tech-rate if we're on the attack, so I think that I'm going to tech Gunpowder on my turn, the next player lands Chemistry, and we start pushing with cannons and Samurai as we get the rest of the techs we need and stockpile scientists for the leap forward into rifles & artillery.

Domestically this means I'm going to prioritize getting that Uni up in Kim.

Oh and when we finish the liberty tree we get a GSci for another tech. Can we bulb Infantry right after Dynamite?

Okay, let's go for cannons now. Might want to save our money for catapult-cannon upgrades then.

Infantry are some distance beyond Dynamite. We'd need to add Scientific Theory and all its prerequisites, Steam Power, and Replaceable Parts. But yes, we can figure the Great Person from Liberty into our bulbing plan.

T-hawk Wrote:Okay, let's go for cannons now. Might want to save our money for catapult-cannon upgrades then.

Infantry are some distance beyond Dynamite. We'd need to add Scientific Theory and all its prerequisites, Steam Power, and Replaceable Parts. But yes, we can figure the Great Person from Liberty into our bulbing plan.

So no, we can't really bulb infantry to leapfrog a ton of the tree. Oh well. Should probably just use our GSci from Liberty then either to a. help us to dynamite if it shows up in time or b. to bulb the scientific method after slow-teching acoustics so that we can build public schools in our science cities and leverage the extra scientist slot.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I'll save the cash for cannon upgrades; probably means that the next player gets a spending spree.

Huh.

Diplomatically on T171 Bismark wardecc'd Harun and all our deals ended. I think I'm going to shop our incense back out to Bismark (so that we hold the 5 iron and aren't vulnerable if Askia gets jumpy). He'll throw in 15 gp as well. We can't take gold from the AI right, so I should just trade iron for incense.

Washington won't give us Cotton except for a whole bunch of happy resources. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. He will gives us 110 gold for it though. That could let me buy the uni this turn and speed up the 4th GSci. Thoughts?

Also, the Hagia Sophia is still available, should I try for it in Boo? +25% GPP and a free GPP right off. It's a 14 turn build.