As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] BaxAmeliKnight's thread

Amelia Wrote:My argument for CoL is that we have at least 10+ farms currently between the three of us. That's an extra 20 commerce. Of course, your argument for festivals was really good, and i agree with it. Not to mention how cheap festivals are compared to CoL.

I've been thinking about this, and perhaps CoL should be our next tech instead of Festivals. CoL only requires a civic switch to get the commerce (for me actually since Malakim are SPI), while markets need to be built in several cities. While CoL is more expensive, I actually think we benefit from CoL sooner then Festivals, plus its not like we dont have other things we need to build as well.

T50 next turn, so time for a overview. I can't guarantee I'll have time for comments, but I'll at least be able to do a screenshot dump.

Hmmm... how long does it take for each tech? We can probably get it done by looking at the numbers.

And yes... do we have time for markets currently?

Got this EoT:

Aaarrgh! -_-;;

Highlight of the turn, Amelia's GS finally makes it to Cevedes. jive An academy is promptly built which lets me to finish AH on my turn. Biggest thing to decide is what to go for next. CoL costs 750 beakers while Festivals is 422 I think? Hard to know for sure at this stage how long each will take, but I wasn't expecting CoL to be less than the cost of 2 Festivals, so I think we should definitely go for CoL next.

I can see 3 horses:

1st horse is in a great spot, of course. smile Other two, not so much. We missed out on 2 when settling 2nd Kurio city and 3 is in Kurio's barren east (although there might be potential depending on what's in the fog). Overall though, we don't really need horse in the near future so it doesn't really matter.

Best spot for next Malakim expansion is probably around here:

2 wines early game makes a decent city, or at least its the best spot nearby right now. It needs either fishing or a border pop for food though, neither we can probably get anytime soon. (although fishing would also connect all of us to a trade network)

Finally, demo screenshots for Kurio's:

Amurites:

and Malakim:

Screenshots taken in chronological order, which may explain the differences between them. Biggest highlight is Amurites being 1st in GNP, indeed they were 67 while working on AH when the next highest is 50. We're slightly above average in the other categories, but at this stage they aren't that important.

Research set for CoL. I'm convinced at this point.

My vote's on CoL too. I can switch over to that for a few turns and reap the benefits.

Alright, CoL next. What do we go for after that?

Going back to the 5 areas discussed last time (defense, GNP, cities, scouting & culture), after CoL we probably don't need to focus on GNP for some time. Defense is another topic IMO we can skip, barbs while annoying seem to be manageable and I doubt anyone else is thinking of rushing us at this point.

For city improvement, I kinda like Fishing. It would allow all of us to have a trade connection (due to the river) and it opens up 2 city sites for the Malakim. It's also cheap and leads to OO, which we'll need someday. The other techs (BW, masonry etc.) can still be skipped for now.

Scouting, there's a choice between HBR and KotE. HBR is a little more expensive, but it'll be easier for Amelia to get Centaurs up then for me to get adepts up and Centaurs can double as defense units if necessary. KotE gives metamagic eyes which are a lot safer for scouting and we can also use some other spells but aside from Spring and Inspiration we don't have much in the way of useful spells right now. I'm not really sure which one I prefer, but I think you guys will want HBR over KotE right?

For culture, there's Drama and religion. I've mentioned before that building culture is the best way to expand borders early, but aside from the free Artist there isn't anything else at Drama. For religion, we could use either OO or FoL (RoK isn't helpful to us long term). OO is cheaper since we don't need Hunting, but FoL gives more to us in the short term (fawns and ancient forests). I'd probably prefer religion to Drama right now, and FoL over OO.

I'd order my preferences something like FoL > Fishing > HBR. FoL might be the most expensive, but it gives us quite a lot of stuff. Fishing is just cheap enough to put it over HBR IMO. (base cost of Fishing is 160, while HBR is 400 and Hunting + FoL is 700)

BTW Amelia, what do you think of this as your 3rd city?

2 weak food, but a lot of grassland. Horse, cow and 4 hills will have decent late game production. Small amount of river, but a decent amount of fresh water. It's not that far from your cities either. Possible farm spam?

Since fishing is so cheap, can we research it after CoL and then go FoL?

Was trying to incorporate the copper to the top left of the city, but no dice. Takes away the rice, for only one weak resource left. I'll scout to my south first if possible before i build that 3rd.

With that said, we need fishing, i agree. It's cheap and easy to get, and it connects our capitals. I have a spare wine which either of you will really appreciate, as i see that the Malakim capital is starving now due to unhappiness.

Our tech plan should be FoL > Fishing > HBR. I need those centaurs out to secure my third city, and we need to scout more than this.

Fishing also allows me to settle better cities eastwards.