As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

Wow. I gotta get me one of those (except that Serdoa probably won't leave anything for me to heal anyway...)

Turn 82

As feared the Byzantine troops have advanced. The stack of doom is 19 axes, 5 spears, 5 chariots and 9 catapults. Facing them I have 8 axes, 6 cats and 4 spears in Crewe, with 3 cats and two axes and a chariot in reserve just behind, and horse archers completing in Altrincham and Darlington eot.

So the choice this turn was to hit the stack on battlefield A or to wait for next turn. I'm two xp away from a great general, so I decided to send in a couple of cats, partly to get the great general, and partly to get some collateral on the stack. George Patton is born in Barnet - miles away! What influences where great generals get born?

Anyway, what to do with Patton? Spread the xp over several cats to get more collatoral? Give it all to my chariot and two horse archers to give them shock? I don't think a medic is the best idea as Serdoa's stack is much bigger than mine... Guess I'll decide next turn.

In fact I'm still undecided if attacking battlefield B next turn is my best move. I should have fallen back from exeter, but I think I can do a lot more damage with my 7 remaining catapults and the horse archers this time. But falling back and waiting for a couple of turns gives me another three or four horse archers to play with.

Over in the east a galley is prowling - but I'll have two archers and an axe in Ipswich, so as long as he hasn't got more boats out in the fog I feel fairly safe.

Power is bad news - Serdoa is putting more effort into warring. I think I need to raze Exeter if I see an opportunity. Pyramids is much more useful to him than to me anyway.

Turn 83

Hmm, this pincer thingy is coming to get me. Serdoa's unloaded an axe and a horse archer, and has another Galley which could contain more units. I have an axe and two archers in ipswich, so not worried about next turn, but I think I need some more spears now. However I don't want to get distracted by this - I need catapults and horse archers over in the west, so I'll keep sending them that way...

Over here I think I'm going to have to give up Crewe, I never liked it anyway. If Serdoa burns it I might attack his stack, if he keeps it I'll have to fall back again and wait for him to present another opportunity...

I wonder if I've learned my lesson from Exeter, or if I'm making a whole new mistake?

Anyhow, there are going to be an awful lot of grey horses around here soon, so I'll need those spears...

Why is a counterattack easier if he burns the city?

He might need to split the stack a little and would get slightly less healing bonus. I think I was also assuming he had some city defense units - but if not it may not make a difference!

I wish I'd put my stack 1 tile north to threaten exeter...

Turn 84

Serdoa took Crewe and kept it, I was tempted to promote a load of city raider axes and hit him, but he's still got way more units available, so I've moved my stack to a tile protected by the river and will road the tile NW and move onto the hill SE of Exeter next turn. Unless he spots that I'm going to do that and does something clever to defend against it... Anyone know how quick Exeter will come out of revolt?

In the east his attack force is four units, I could attack with my horse archer this turn, but if I lose he can take Ipswich next turn (I haven't simmed it, but it seems like a risk). I was one hammer short of building walls this turn, so I thought I'd put hammers into a spear to whip next turn (since I know there will be a next turn!)

(February 23rd, 2013, 15:51)Old Harry Wrote: Serdoa took Crewe and kept it, I was tempted to promote a load of city raider axes and hit him, but he's still got way more units available, so I've moved my stack to a tile protected by the river and will road the tile NW and move onto the hill SE of Exeter next turn. Unless he spots that I'm going to do that and does something clever to defend against it... Anyone know how quick Exeter will come out of revolt?

You can find the answer to this question by looking at your screenshots carefully. wink

Are you talking about the 3 turns left for crewe? I know I look dumb, but I did know that one! I meant if I somehow manage to take Exeter back from serdoa (not all that likely) how long will it revolt for or will it pop its borders right back out again?

You won't have any revolt from recapturing your own city in the vast majority of cases.

(February 23rd, 2013, 20:29)NobleHelium Wrote: You won't have any revolt from recapturing your own city in the vast majority of cases.

eh, Harry knows thats not true from pb8 wink. I guess it depends how much culture the opponent has gotten into it, though.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.