As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

hiow far are you from rifles now? I see seeveral different techs being researched in thoser screenshots, so a bit confused smile
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I'm a while from rifles, but will begin building grenadiers next turn, meaning his drafted rifles aren't so scary. He then has to build cavalry by hand to squish me.

i thought you were only 6-7 turns from rifles? :/
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

I am, and I'm still heading in that direction, but I thought I needed grenadiers quicker than that. In those six turns he could have 15 rifles on Barnet's doorstep.

There are so many options at this point in the game that I'm not sure what the optimal tech path is. I'm mostly just trying to make myself a hard target. I have nearly double Hydra's cities so I hope to out-produce him if I can catch up in tech.

Turn 144

Hydra started a new job and is struggling for time, so the save has taken a while to get back around to me. I think that his war with Azza is effectively over - these units (mostly knights) are heading back towards his core, and possibly from there to my border...

But his Rifle stack hasn't moved, so can I assume he's not planning to attack? His power is all defensive?

I could push on and try to take another Azza city, but I think I'd rather spend my golden age trying to catch Hydra on tech. So I've offered white peace.

I'm hoping to burn Ollantaytambo (Archer) and Huamanga (G2 Longbow) in two turns time. It'll take two c1 knights to get Huamanga as there is now yellow culture on the tile south of it. Ollantaytambo on the other hand is still a sitting duck. I'm going to need four fast workers south of Halifax for the road and fort (although I have got a plan for not needing a road there, we'll have to see if it'll work).

Burning those two cities won't damage Hydra too badly, but I'm hoping it'll demoralise him a bit. Ideally it'll provoke him into putting his army in harms way in my borders where I can cat it to bits, but if not then I'll probably sit back myself and just shore up the defenses...

If I keep getting a tech a turn for a bit longer I'll be a runaway score leader, although after Printing Press I can't seet that happening. Graphs are spoilered for being boring, although I'm finally liking what I'm seeing. thumbsup
Score

GNP

MFG

Food

Power

Turn 145

A little surprisingly Azza accepted peace. So I have ten turns to secure our border (tricky due to the 10 turns of revolt left in de_inferno) and to see what can be done about Hydra. I'm going to move a lot of these units to my southern border.

Education is in, so I'll build universities in:
- Barnet (3 turns)
- Grimsby (3 turns)
- Altrincham (7 turns)
- Exeter (10 turns)
- Crewe (10 turns)
So that Oxford can be built in Barnet.

I got a great engineer rather than scientist from Exeter last turn so I can't bulb Printing Press this turn. I should get a scientist in two turns so I'll save money on Banking until then, at which point I can bulb PP and then use the engineer for Replaceable Parts. I'm just a bit far away from researching any useful wonders for him to rush, so I guess getting rifles quicker will have to do. At that point I'll have rifles to counter cavalry and grenadiers to counter rifles, so I'll be happy to fortify my teritory and use my larger numbers of cities to out-produce and hopefully out-research the others...

The fun stuff for next turn is:
- Use four of the six fast workers you can see at the bottom of this screen to road and fort the tile 1N of Lancaster
- When I declare war a couple of knights and a horse archer will be teleported out of Hydra teritory - I hope the HA and one knight will end up on said roaded, forted tile
- The galley just south of lancaster will unload two knights to join the HA and knight
- The three knights and a horse archer will kill the longbow in Huamanga (fingers crossed he doesn't reinforce...)
- Take the galley with two grenadiers on it to kill the archer in Ollantaytambo
- Get enough defense together on my northern and southern borders to hold out against Hydra's cavalry and rifles

I like this graph.

Keep fighting! hammer Can you at some point post longer term graphs for e.g. GNP, power & score? I would like to see the many ups and downs of this game illustrated crazyeye
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 146

Azza got a great general this turn, but I can't see where he'd have been fighting? He's still at war with Serdoa and Hydra so could be against either. He has a load of rifles in de_train now, so I need to be wary when de_inferno comes out of revolt. If I'd thought about it I'd have waited a couple of turns before offering peace so I could get some cultural borders in place... duh

I'm starting to feel like a bit of a git. Here is the site of my gittishness. It feels wrong having benefitted from Hydra leaving me alone so much to stab him now. Suppose I'll get over it somehow. mischief

Hydra put a catapult in with the archer this turn, so I'm going to have to win both fights:

Burnt.

Then my knight and HA teleported to the east of Huamanga instead of where I thought they'd go. No matter, crap odds for the first attack.

But he does plenty of damage leaving the horse archer to clean up and burn the city.

All of which leaves me with a border I'm much happier with up here. At a cost of a knight and presumably a horse archer and a grenadier - he'll need to use a knight or cavalry to kill these though as I think they are out of range of any 1-movers.

There is a knight down here that needs killing too. Sorry.

The rest of the turn is spent moving 1-movers from the Azza front towards the northern and southern Hydra fronts and 2-movers to a central staging tile from where they can reach any city (except Oldham and the new Azza-cities) in one turn. I wonder if it's worth putting all my 1-movers on the same tile? I'll only have one turn's warning of incoming cavalry, so probably not. More pikes needed.

Up north
- Kettering and Oldham share 4 pikes and a spear, 4 maces, 3 cats and a grenadier
- Halifax and Lancaster share 3 pikes, 2 knights, a grenadier or 2 and a cat with 3 maces and a couple of axes and spears on their way to help out.

Down south
- Forest Green has 7 maces and 8 cats with a pike and crossbow
- Barnet has 2 Grenadiers, 2 Maces and 10 cats with a pike
- Matlock has a pike and a cat
- Darlington has a Grenadier and an axe
Placing a stack on the dye 1E of Matlock could protect the three western cities, I'll keep some other units in Forest Green. I'll lean towards building pikes to counter cavalry (I know he has one so far) until I reach rifles. I can always upgrade other units to grenadiers where needed (need to remember that grenadiers only get the bonus on attack vs rifles though).

In the east I've left some units in the Azza cities just in case, but I need open borders with Azza to be sure that Hydra isn't coming that way with his stack. Is he likely to accept this? I accidentally sent a blank offer before this one - will that show up and will it affect this second one?

I have a feeling Hydra won't take this.

Here are your bigger graphs Fintourist. I've cut off the first 45 turns as we're all bunched up. Can you see
- Who got Hanging Gardens?
- When Serdoa took Exeter?
- When Hydra went after Serdoa?
- When Azza took Forest Green?
- When I started my first golden age?

Edit: End of turn I researched banking and got a great scientist, meaning I should have Rifling in three more turns...
Edit2: That last graph shows Hydra has been running a lot of espionage (just against me?) so I don't have a hope of seeing his research, I might run the slider a bit once I have rifles, but not before...

You can send multiple offers to the same person in a turn just fine.

Nice move, and thanks for the graphs! I think I spotted the items mischief
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3